follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
BigM

Drives: B4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Actually I'm starting to worry I totally got that wrong... If you Google Subaru BRZ Australia, the ad at the top shows http://subaru.com.au/brz but isn't necessarily where it is linking to, I might have been thinking of it, but I don't think so.
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
Sep

Drives: .
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got the same call from the suby dealer I had put a deposit in for the brz. Apparently his manager went to a meeting where they were told that only 200 brz's will be allocated to Australia this year. Wanted me to up my deposit to 5k without a set price or specs. He thought pricing will be just under 40k before on roads which seems very optimistic. All of this sounds dodgy considering I've already placed a deposit.
Sep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
Skorov

Drives: 86 GTS White
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
I got the same call from the suby dealer I had put a deposit in for the brz. Apparently his manager went to a meeting where they were told that only 200 brz's will be allocated to Australia this year. Wanted me to up my deposit to 5k without a set price or specs. He thought pricing will be just under 40k before on roads which seems very optimistic. All of this sounds dodgy considering I've already placed a deposit.
If you've already made a deposit, just kindly point him to the contract you've made with Subary regarding your deposit and tell him to stfu. Kind of unprofessional to come back however many days later and go, "Oh wait... We want more money from you without giving you any new info."
Skorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
NERO

Drives: 2012 Honda Ruckus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
I'm glad I don't live in Australia!
There are a lot of very good things about Australia. This is sometimes where they get kicked in the balls.
NERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
tlp

Drives: Supra
Quote:
Tell them to put that down in writing that you are putting the deposit down on the terms that there are only 200 that are going to be made this year and that the pricing IS under 40k before ORC's. Then put the 5k down if you're happy with that. Otherwise tell him to go shove it where the sun don't shine
tlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #20
JFC

Drives: 2015 86, 2015 Evo X
Quote:
As we get closer and closer to release date more and more info filters down thru the food chain.

I am lead to believe what that manager said to be very very true.
JFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
The local subaru dealer emailed me and stated that only 200 BRZs are coming in Sept , $5k deposit secures one.(no info on colour , trim , price ).
Toyota can order colour but trim might have red accent on ft86.
So with this in mind I bought a FWD metallic blue VVTLi celica with black/blue trim and plenty of "fun to drive again" factor.
The best part is I can buy 5 VVTLi celicas for the price of 1 BRZ/ft86 and no "bodgey" ordering / deposit process.

alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
Devie

Drives: Tornado Grey 86 GTS
I'd rather buy one BRZ/GT86 than five, six or seven celica's...
Devie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
BigM

Agree with you paros, they'll try every trick they can, not that you can blame them... I mean, what kind of leverage do you have after you've slammed down a $5k deposit on a car you don't even know the price of!?

And for all their carry on about limited stock etc, I bet I'll be able to wander into a dealer post launch and get a good price on a car that's been sitting in the showroom, or even on a pre-order much closer to launch, where they start to get jittery about whether they can sell everything they've ordered.

Not to have a go at anyone though, demand really could be high and this is the only way you'll get one this year, and if you want it that bad sometimes it's worth paying, but personally I can't sleep at night unless I know I've got a good deal, regardless of the price. :P
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #24
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
What paros says is true, especially with a car that has a bit of marketing tax put on it.

I'd urge everyone to think before they sign on the dotted line, what exactly they could do with that money if they weren't buying the car. Just say it's 40k...
1) How badly do you want (because let's face it, no one actually NEEDS one) a new car? Is there a second hand vehicle for less that would suit your needs and wants, as well as giving you some cash left over?
2) If you really do want a new car, is there an alternative that suits your situation more practically? Remember you're going to be stuck with this car for a few years at least and life can change dramatically in that time. Practical cars like the RAV4 are much cheaper (30k for a RAV4, 26k for a Dualis if you want to go Nissan) if you have a tribe.

Like paros, I really want to know what solid pricing is before I think about signing so I can weigh up my options like above. I do want a new car (I'm sick of fixing other people's neglect!) but due to my life situation, the 86 isn't a very practical option. I need this car to be under 40k drive away to even consider it. If it's not, I'm out. Way too much money for me. Even at 35k the test drive is going to have to impress me heaps.
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
Oh, that's another thing. You'll always pay insanely at launch. Best thing you might score is a set of floor mats. You'll be paying full manufacturer and full delivery price. If you wait 6-12 months after buzz has died down a bit, both dealer and manufacturer know you'll need a bit of convincing. This means $$$ off and features on.

Should you decide you want this car, you need to address two things to get the best price...

1) Manufacturer price. At launch, this is non-negotiable. Factory will not give any discounts straight off the bat. Actually, if they end up having a legit waiting list, there won't be any discounts to be had here either.

2) Dealer price. At launch it will be really hard to get any deals on this component. You might be able to get a few dealer fitted accessories if you threaten to go to another dealership, but it's not going to be awesome. They want to leave stock for who ever pays top dollar at launch.

If you want a good deal, I'd suggest waiting some time. 6 months maybe might see some easing up (depending on stock availability), but 12-18 months after launch and you should start seeing bargains. If there are any points that you're flexible on (colour, trim, transmission, etc) tell the salesman to ring you when they've got stock of a particular that they can't move. Get the dealerships to fight against each other; say that you want this car but just need the right price. Even tell them that you're willing to sign on the day should a bargain come up, because sometimes at the end of the month they'll do great deals to meet forecasts that have come up a bit short (I'm sure the dealerships get some kind of incentive when they meet them).

Heaps of tricks, just remember that you are fighting for potentially thousands of dollars. Might only be a smallish percentage of total cost, but can you imagine how helpful having a few extra grand in the bank would be right now?
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #26
Dirty_Big_Bjelke

Drives: repco traveller
[QUOTE=PuGZoR;171133If you wait 6-12 months after buzz has died down a bit, both dealer and manufacturer know you'll need a bit of convincing. This means $$$ off and features on.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't seem like there will be a great supply of these anytime soon. We have estimates of what 1200 Toyota and 200 Subaru? Toyota has about 320 dealers in Australia take away a few bunky country ones and that's about 4 cars per dealership per year.

Even VW has/had a 12 month + waiting list on Polo GTI's

Besides I'll be honest I want the latest and greatest right now when it's new and cool. Plenty of others around like that.
Dirty_Big_Bjelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #27
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Another thing for me is that the sooner I buy it the sooner I can have it paid off. If I buy it now and 2 years from now the BRZ STI comes out, I would be in a better position to trade in than if I wait and buy a BRZ next year. I think it would suck if I bought a BRZ next year and they announce right after that the BRZ STI is coming. At least we know that BRZ STI is a few years off so I can enjoy the BRZ for a few years and trade it in when something better comes along. So I might pay a little more now but I'll owe a lot less when the BRZ STI comes along than if I had waited until next year.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #28
BigM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
At least we know that BRZ STI is a few years off
Just wondered where you read that? I'd assumed it might be but hadn't really read a date anywhere at all.