follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #57
7shades

Drives: JZX100, AE71(gze)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There will be no AWD version of this car, for two reasons:

1. Toyota did not set out to build an awd... The intent from day one was a lightweight rwd coupe, which they have done. AWD adds extra weight and complication to what was always intended to be a simple, easy to throw around fun machine... Such is the spirit of the original AE86. Further evidence of this ethos can be extrapolated from Subaru Au's spokesman when he mentioned the convertible version... Hinting at the exact vehicle the FT86 was built to compete with, The MX-5/Miata, which has not nor will ever have awd, because Mazda believe in keeping it true to the classic sportscar formula of light weight and rwd.

2. Subaru already have an awd performance car, its called the Impreza. Why would they invest millions into R&D developing a new awd performance vehicle when it would only be competing within the exact same market segment!

I highly doubt there will even BE a Subaru version, at all, anywhere.
7shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #58
My86

Drives: Hopefully a toyobaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7shades View Post
I highly doubt there will even BE a Subaru version, at all, anywhere.
I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being true. But what do you make of that Subaru mule in the spy video from the nurburgring?
My86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #59
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It sounds as though there are no plans for AWD, and for the Aussie market, it's too risky to bring it over if they demand AWD, as there won't be one.

Subaru doesn't have that "problem" here except in the minds of fans.

Also, keep in mind an AWD version will be essentially a totally differnet car -- different weight, different specs, just totally different. Also, when they ripped the AWD out of the Impreza test car, they shortend the chassis -- will an AWD system even fit in an 086A without a different chassis?
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:33 AM   #60
7shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by My86 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being true. But what do you make of that Subaru mule in the spy video from the nurburgring?
Merely a bodyshell on top of the FT86 floorpan and driveline, for testing purposes. I think that bodywork has absolutely nothing to do with any production model.... Hence the use of current generation Subaru/Toyota panels, headlights, tail lights, and chopped-up interior... Bits and pieces raided from the parts bin and slapped together.

FrankenHachi
Old 10-23-2009, 04:28 AM   #61
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Merely a bodyshell on top of the FT86 floorpan and driveline, for testing purposes. I think that bodywork has absolutely nothing to do with any production model.... Hence the use of current generation Subaru/Toyota panels, headlights, tail lights, and chopped-up interior... Bits and pieces raided from the parts bin and slapped together.

FrankenHachi
Correction:
FrankenSTI & not FreankenHachi
Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #62
JDMinc

Drives: IS300
Quote:

FrankenHachi
So then if no AWD currently being tested according to the OP's article, then what could be different on this Subaru test car being tested besides the bodyshell? Transmission should be the same for both Toyota and Subaru version I think. Different engine maybe? I'm confused.
JDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #63
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMinc View Post
So then if no AWD currently being tested according to the OP's article, then what could be different on this Subaru test car being tested besides the bodyshell? Transmission should be the same for both Toyota and Subaru version I think. Different engine maybe? I'm confused.
who knows, maybe it is a test car for both the ft-86 and subaru version?
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #64
scape

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMinc View Post
it could be a number of things I think-- maybe a different LSD, transmission gearing, predicted weight differences, suspension setup, wheel setup; I'd imagine subie would want to try and get those things locked down and agreeable before they start thinking about production for their model.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #65
MR2fan

Drives: 91 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
it could be a number of things I think-- maybe a different LSD, transmission gearing, predicted weight differences, suspension setup, wheel setup; I'd imagine subie would want to try and get those things locked down and agreeable before they start thinking about production for their model.
Good points. I'm just glad Toyota already has their concept version out already.

I'm wondering though, does this mean that Toyota has done most of its racetrack development/testing of the FT-86 already? I don't remember seeing a FT-86 mule spy video or anything.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #66
7shades

You're all missing the point.

THERE IS NO SUBARU VERSION

From the outset, rumours of a Subaru version have been nothing but that.... Rumours.
The fact that the test mule is wearing subaru sheetmetal is irrelevant. I mean the car IS based on a Subaru floorpan, wouldn't it make sense to use a Subaru body for testing until the final production sheetmetal is developed?
Toyota is simply utilising its investment in FHI to maximum advantage.

I'll say it again... For the evidently slow people. There is no Subaru 086A. Just because its a Joint venture between Subaru and Toyota does not mean there will be two cars.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #67
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Quote:
You're all missing the point.

THERE IS NO SUBARU VERSION

From the outset, rumours of a Subaru version have been nothing but that.... Rumours.
Even though there's a lot of BS in car magazines, I'm a lot more inclined to believe what automotive journalists say than some random guy on the internet. Do you have an inside line with the manufacturers? Do you talk to the chief engineers yourself?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #68
scape

Drives: yaris
^ good point, but there have been some speculation of the subie model in the spy shots not having enough room for an AWD setup, which would indicate otherwise (a new subie in the mix)
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #69
7shades

I can assure the 'journalists' (and use that word loosely) generally speaking have much less of an idea what's going on than the general public (us) do. Most are reactive to public interest, not proactive in seeking fact.
Speculation generates interest, and interest generates clicks on Mr. Hack auto blogger's site.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #70
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Quote:
I can assure the 'journalists' (and use that word loosely) generally speaking have much less of an idea what's going on than the general public (us) do.
so the general public has MORE of an idea of what's going on than journalists? bro you are losing credibility really fast. automotive journalists that work for credible sources have connections to manufacturer insiders because of their vocations and often have friends and acquaintances that are chief engineers/product development guys that work for the carmakers. many times their info comes from interviews with these people. they also get press releases and first drives well in advance of the general public. and yet, somehow the general public is MORE knowledgeable than these journalists? give me a break.