follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2021, 07:44 PM   #43
bfeeney

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Also compromising for comfort and daily driving, while overlooking simple upgrades like high quality dampers and then asking for high speed stability/aerodynamics is very much conflicting.

I was only asking for a little more stability driving in a straight line on the interstate at 80mph.

I have noticed now that I've drove it more and did some Whiteline inserts, my problem is the shocks & struts. I'll look into the Bilstein's and Koni's, see which one would be best for me.
bfeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfeeney For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (05-21-2021), RayRay88 (05-07-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #44
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
At 100mph+ it’s beyond noticeable the difference.

Take a car with zero aero,
Add only a real functional front splitter. And prepare to hate driving at 100mph+.

Then add a diffuser to the above to rebalance it and prepare to love driving at 100mph+ the feeing is night and day.

From a drag reduction stand point you won’t really feel that. IIRC the drag reduction at 100mph for everything combined was the equivalent to about 10whp or 2.5whp at 50mph, I calculated it out once. Which i guess adds up but 10whp isn’t that noticeable.

From a downforce / reducing lift stand point though, It’s huge. Below 80 you dont really feel it, at 80 you start to feel it by 100 it’s very noticeable and by 120 you couldn’t imagine driving without it.
I can believe it. When my BRZ was stock I was regularly doing 80-90 mph on my commute on 287 in NJ. On a windy day the car could wander a bit. I put on cheap abs front lip, side skirts and the stock rear diffuser. I can tell you the car felt more planted on those windy days. It made me a believer. Obviously I don’t regularly get to 100+ mph on local roads, but if cheap aero works, I am sure parts engineered and tested work. Since then I have upgraded to a nice Seibon carbon front lip and the verus engineering carbon side skirts. I can say they look so much sweeter, not to sure I see a benefit in feel from the cheaper abs, but the car looks great.

And yes I know butt dyno is not the most accurate, but as a scientist I try to be very skeptical and this one I could feel. Have to admit I did for looks not feel.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
86TOYO2k17 (05-21-2021), Wally86 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 07:30 PM   #45
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfeeney View Post
I was only asking for a little more stability driving in a straight line on the interstate at 80mph.

I have noticed now that I've drove it more and did some Whiteline inserts, my problem is the shocks & struts. I'll look into the Bilstein's and Koni's, see which one would be best for me.
Personally, I'd spring for Bilstein (probably B6s) andd if you want to go a tad lower - RCE Yellow springs. I'm not big on lowering but if I went that way I'd go their way.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #46
Cephas

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (860 SE)
Yeah I just did RCE Yellows and Bilstein B6s. 20mm drop, and the improvement in handling is noticeable for sure. On the stock suspension I definitely could feel what the OP was talking about. The front end got a little floaty above 80mph. Watching the way the hood flutters, my guess has always been excessive lift. I can't do a splitter (stupid steep driveway...), but I might look into some of the other little aero bits and bobs mentioned in this thread. That packet from Verus was fascinating.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #47
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Garage
I wish I could tell you the effects of a fully covered underbody at stock height since my new BRZ is now on stock suspension while I wait for the back-ordered Bilstein B6 to arrive which will be paired with RCE Yellows (0.8" drop). However, I haven't had a chance to drive it beyond 120 kph yet.

However, when my FRS had the underbody fully covered (Beatrush skid plate, JDM panel covers, Verus trans tunnel cover, Verus diff/susp cover, & Verus diffuser) with TRD rear spoiler & Bilstein B6 + TRD lowering springs (1.125" drop) with 18x7.5 +225/40 wheels & tires, the car was more planted especially in the train even at 80kph. When I ran it at 180 kph on a dry highway, it was even more planted & stable & you know that you can push it for more.

At stock height, you won't scrape unless it's really high or steep. At 1.125" drop, the rear diffuser will hit the parking lot's wheel stops while the underbody will scrape a steeper ramp or even a higher speed bump a little especially if you have passengers. Mine had scraped several times before but there was no damage on the covers.

Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter

Last edited by sygfrid; 06-07-2021 at 07:54 AM.
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote