follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2021, 09:43 PM   #15
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When my pivot bent it caused the fork to go off center causing the slave pushrod to pushing at a big angle. My bet is you bent the fork. Just buy both so you are prepared. They are cheap.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #16
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
When my pivot bent it caused the fork to go off center causing the slave pushrod to pushing at a big angle. My bet is you bent the fork. Just buy both so you are prepared. They are cheap.
Thanks. Yes, I am at least going to buy a new release fork; however, I'm trying to decide whether to stick with an OEM part or something much stronger (e.g., made from a billet or forged), but that has OEM fitment. Of course, the problem is that stronger forks appear to be quite a bit more expensive so I'm torn. It's surprising to me this happened after only 70K miles and with mostly regular, non-aggressive driving/shifting. It makes me believe the fork hasn't been designed strong enough and not wanting to have to do this again in another 70K miles is almost enough to make me plunk down the extra cash. However, I understand that in most cases, even for relatively frequent spirited driving, stock components by and large will get the job done and already have a ton of engineering behind them.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #17
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Thanks. Yes, I am at least going to buy a new release fork; however, I'm trying to decide whether to stick with an OEM part or something much stronger (e.g., made from a billet or forged), but that has OEM fitment. Of course, the problem is that stronger forks appear to be quite a bit more expensive so I'm torn. It's surprising to me this happened after only 70K miles and with mostly regular, non-aggressive driving/shifting. It makes me believe the fork hasn't been designed strong enough and not wanting to have to do this again in another 70K miles is almost enough to make me plunk down the extra cash. However, I understand that in most cases, even for relatively frequent spirited driving, stock components by and large will get the job done and already have a ton of engineering behind them.
In that 70K miles have you ever had to replace the TOB? I ask because when they go bad they eat up the surface that they slide on and then it's prone to binding. The surface they they ride on is replaceable for ~$80. When I did my first TOB I didn't replace this part and I suspect that is what lead to me bending my pivot once my second TOB started to go. BTW, my pivot bent at about 127k miles.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #18
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
In that 70K miles have you ever had to replace the TOB? I ask because when they go bad they eat up the surface that they slide on and then it's prone to binding. The surface they they ride on is replaceable for ~$80. When I did my first TOB I didn't replace this part and I suspect that is what lead to me bending my pivot once my second TOB started to go. BTW, my pivot bent at about 127k miles.
I don't think my throwout bear is bad, but I say that just because it has never made noise, which seems to be the usual indicator from what I've read. For my own piece of mind, I'm thinking I would replace the slave cylinder, release fork, pivot, and throwout bearing all at the same time. That and probably install a transmission mount bushing (e.g., whiteline positive shift bushing) as I've heard nothing but good things about it. I think my clutch should otherwise be okay, but I've read lots of different views about how long a factory clutch will last. I suppose I'll have whatever shop I go to just look at it and tell me how close it is to the service limits.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:36 PM   #19
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
I don't think my throwout bear is bad, but I say that just because it has never made noise, which seems to be the usual indicator from what I've read. For my own piece of mind, I'm thinking I would replace the slave cylinder, release fork, pivot, and throwout bearing all at the same time. That and probably install a transmission mount bushing (e.g., whiteline positive shift bushing) as I've heard nothing but good things about it. I think my clutch should otherwise be okay, but I've read lots of different views about how long a factory clutch will last. I suppose I'll have whatever shop I go to just look at it and tell me how close it is to the service limits.

Assuming you know how to drive the clutch seems to last forever. I am still on my original and I was just in there to replace my TOB and it still had a ton of life.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #20
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

I’ve decided to replace the clutch with an aftermarket part, the south bend stage 2 daily clutch which seems to do you well for people with forced induction. I’ve been growing concerned that I am leaving some FI power gains on the table with the stock clutch.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #21
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
TOB went out right on schedule

I just turned 51K and the TOB started making noise this morning. I'll replace it ASAP. I'm at least thinking about a mild FI setup someday. 20% increase max. From what I've read here before, the stock clutch is adequate for that amount. Or should I upgrade it now? Also, I recall reading that the latest TOBs no longer have the white dot. Is anything I get from Toyota now going to be OK? Or are there numbers to check?
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #22
Gamace

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
I just turned 51K and the TOB started making noise this morning. I'll replace it ASAP. I'm at least thinking about a mild FI setup someday. 20% increase max. From what I've read here before, the stock clutch is adequate for that amount. Or should I upgrade it now? Also, I recall reading that the latest TOBs no longer have the white dot. Is anything I get from Toyota now going to be OK? Or are there numbers to check?
Just order the TOB from Toyota or even Verus Engineering as they also stock the Toyota parts. I'd say get a stage 1 clutch like I did. For my setup, I'm making a little but more than stock so I just upgraded to Stage 1 for piece of mind. The stock clutch will still manage but if your budget can handle it, stage 1 will be better. Literally finished my break-in period last week Monday so now I'm back to regular driving.

Toyota 86 in the building!
Gamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #23
Qwimby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamace View Post
Just order the TOB from Toyota or even Verus Engineering as they also stock the Toyota parts. I'd say get a stage 1 clutch like I did. For my setup, I'm making a little but more than stock so I just upgraded to Stage 1 for piece of mind. The stock clutch will still manage but if your budget can handle it, stage 1 will be better. Literally finished my break-in period last week Monday so now I'm back to regular driving.

Toyota 86 in the building!
86 Speed says their Exedy clutch kit contains a TOB, but advised me to also order a separate one because they aren't sure the ones in the kit are good.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #24
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

So I final got around to dropping the transmission and this is what my clutch release fork looked like. I'm surprised it lasted for even a day with little driving considering I almost adjusted the clutch pedal all the way in. Until I started learning about the issue I would have never thought it was so under designed that the fork pivot would eventually cause fatigue failure of the fork itself. What a joke. Have other peoples' clutch forks failed like this?
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vfrqqq For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (06-25-2021), itschris (06-24-2021), Ultramaroon (07-01-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #25
Qwimby1

After seeing that, I'm going to order an upgraded fork. Fortunately the stage-1 parts I ordered are still in the box. How many miles are on that fork?
Old 07-01-2021, 08:21 AM   #26
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Just under 69k miles.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #27
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I've opened mine three times now just to clean and lube. I wonder if Subaru changed anything for the second gen.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #28
itschris

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I've opened mine three times now just to clean and lube. I wonder if Subaru changed anything for the second gen.
Is the lube on the fork or snout known to fail?

Mine just started squeaking and the last inch of pedal travel feels a little crunchy. I did the TOB and snout ~18k miles ago, I can't imagine either could have failed so quickly. I had used the lucas red n tacky stuff since some posts here said it was similar to OE. Hoping I can just smear some new grease in there.

I've had a nagging feeling I should have left the car on jack stands an extra day or two and taken the time to machine a bronze pivot :/