follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Edi

Drives: IS300
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation No Subaru FT-86 for Australia! And currently no Subaru AWD version production plans.

Also reported on FT86club blog.

Hey Guys firstly id just like to introduce myself, i have following this website along with all the others about the FT-86 development and i have found some major news, so major that i decided to register and tell everyone about it!

Subaru has confirmed that they will NOT be making a Subaru 086 model! Nada! Nothing only the Toyota version will make it to production!

"Toyota says it is even considering a convertible version of the FT-86 and a higher-power version."

""There are elements of that car (FT-86) that don't fit with our Subaru DNA in Australia," Senior said. "We understand that car is a global car and we will at sometime have to sit down and think about how it fits in terms of all-wheel drive and some other things.

"But where I sit today it doesn't fit and it would be a brave decision to take it. At the moment I would say we are unlikely to see it as a Subaru.

"The obvious issue is it is rear-wheel drive and quite plainly no-one is building an all-wheel-drive version at the moment so there is one key thing.

"We have hung our hats on all-wheel drive for nearly 12 years now, so why would we step away from something that has been ultra-successful for us and given us the highest share of any major Subaru distributorship in the world?" "

This is from a popular and verified australian motoring website!

Here is the link:
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Mi...MiniSiteID=186

Quote:
Subaru Australia's all-wheel-drive-only policy has put the kibosh on a new rear-drive sports car being co-developed by Subaru and Toyota. By BRUCE NEWTON in Tokyo.

Bad news Subaru fans. The controversial FT-86 sports car co-developed with Toyota almost certainly won't be coming to Australia as a Subaru.

That was the news delivered at the Tokyo motor show by Subaru Australia managing director Nick Senior soon after the Toyota version of the boxer-engined rear-wheel drive two-seat coupe was unveiled.

At the same time Senior also gave the thumbs down to the STi version of the Exiga people-mover and a carbon-roofed Impreza STi both launched today.

But he didn't have to even kibosh the star of the Subaru stand, the gullwing Hybrid Tourer Concept, because it will never be built.

"There are elements of that car (FT-86) that don't fit with our Subaru DNA in Australia," Senior said. "We understand that car is a global car and we will at sometime have to sit down and think about how it fits in terms of all-wheel drive and some other things.

"But where I sit today it doesn't fit and it would be a brave decision to take it. At the moment I would say we are unlikely to see it as a Subaru.

"The obvious issue is it is rear-wheel drive and quite plainly no-one is building an all-wheel-drive version at the moment so there is one key thing.

"We have hung our hats on all-wheel drive for nearly 12 years now, so why would we step away from something that has been ultra-successful for us and given us the highest share of any major Subaru distributorship in the world?"

Senior said the Exiga 2.0GT tuned by STi was unlikely to come to Australia because the mainstream version hadn't been lauched here yet. He also said Subaru Australia's preference was for complete STi models rather than 'tuned by' models.

He ruled out the Impreza WRX STi Carbon as a Japan-only model which would not be available in Australia.
Meanwhile, the Hybrid Tourer Concept includes some significant future technologies including a direct-injection 2.0-litre boxer petrol engine, a hybrid two/motor all-wheel drive system and lithium-ion battery pack.

The Tourer also includes the latest development of Subaru's Eyesight preventative safety system called Eyesight Plus.

The current Eyesight system will be tested in Australia later this year by Subaru and should flow into upper-spec Liberty and Outback models within a couple of years.

Eyesight uses stereo camera technology to provide collision assistance such as lane departure warning. Eyesight Plus adds 3D imagery and road-to-vehicle communication technology and features like blind spot warning.

Subaru also confirmed today that it would start selling hybrid vehicles in Japan in 2012. But they will not arrive in Australia until years later, Senior said.
Sorry for the Subie Fans!
Edi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

Drives: Audi & Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So it sounds RWD for Toyota and AWD version is possible for subaru...
Not too surprised.
86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Edi

not anytime soon though
Old 10-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
MR2fan

Drives: 91 MR2
But doesn't this only mean that it won't go to Australia as anything but a AWD.

Doesn't mean that there won't be a RWD Subaru 086a that's sold in the rest of the world?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

They will probably come out around the same time.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
All I see is no Subie version in Australia. Doesn't say anything about the US, or I could just be blind.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2fan View Post
But doesn't this only mean that it won't go to Australia as anything but a AWD.

Doesn't mean that there won't be a RWD Subaru 086a that's sold in the rest of the world?
It just sounds that Subaru is indeed planning a AWD version. At least for the Australia market. RWD could be sold along side a AWD version but AWD is definetly in the works for the rest of the world. It would just be strange to just have AWD version only in Australia but not other parts of the world.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Edi

Subaru is huge in Australia, therefore if they dont see the point in producing this car at the moment then i doubt it will happen in US or Eur... which sucks
Old 10-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Fan View Post
It just sounds that Subaru is indeed planning a AWD version. At least for the Australia market. RWD could be sold along side a AWD version but AWD is definetly in the cards.
RWD is were the fun is at. AWD is just boring!! Let the ass end break loose!

Old 10-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
RWD is were the fun is at. AWD is just boring!! Let the ass end break loose!
Get the toyo!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Quote:
Get the toyo!
I plan on it!

Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
I plan on it!
I see. I thought you were waiting on the Subaru rwd version since this thread is about subaru.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
Richardcranium419

Drives: 2004 STI
I already have an AWD subaru. I want this thing to be RWD. I miss the fun of my old 320hp SC miata.
Richardcranium419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Quote:
I see. I thought you were waiting on the Subaru rwd version since this thread is about subaru.
Ah, just thought it was a general thread about Toyota being the only production model. My apologies.