follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Roddy

I would go with what Roddy has to say. He drove to Ottawa last February for our winter meet (3 hours one way) in a driving snow storm ( we got 30+cm's that day) and had no issues, although his car was more white than blue when he arrived. Just an FYI. I use the stock rims with I pikes and had no issues, also crowned the car which had maybe 3 drops of drip all winter and very easy to remove in the spring, also always wax my wife's and my car in September for a little added protection. My 2 cents.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #30
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Forget about putting weight in the back. In a car that is designed as much as possible to concentrate weight towards the center of the car. It makes no sense to add weight away from the center as you are essentially encouraging the car to pivot away from the slide.

Last edited by FRiSson; 09-10-2013 at 09:08 PM.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #31
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Putting the FR-S in storage Nov-Apr, placing the FJ Cruiser in service. With the cinders used on the roads here, I'd need a repaint every Spring. If I didn't have the FJC, I'd buy a beater 4X4 Toyota pickup.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #32
Soulman03

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My basic automotive engineering analysis of putting weight directly over the rear wheels (assuming no change in CG, not a perfect analysis):

Edit: Just realized how long that is.. so TL;DR - your maximum traction won't change and the car will oversteer more than previous.

Where µ is the coefficient of friction (irrelevant if we’re comparing identical cars with the exception of added weight in the rear), a is the longitudinal distance from the center of gravity (CG) to the front axle, b is the longitudinal distance from the CG to the rear axle, m is the mass of the car, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the vertical distance from the ground to the CG, l is the distance from the front axle to the rear, Rr is the rolling resistance of the tires. In our discussion, the only difference will be the weight distribution as well as the overall mass of the car.

Acceleration: http://cars.about.com/od/scion/fr/20...r-S-Review.htm 53% front (a/l = 0.53), 47% rear (b/l = 0.47) weight distribution, m*g (stock) = 2800 lbs, m*g (added) = 2950 lbs, I’ll assume the CG remains at the same height although that’s probably not entirely true it shouldn’t be affected too much. The equation gets much simpler, as shown. Stock: Wf = 2800*0.53 = 1484, Wr = 2800*0.47 = 1316. New: Wf = 1484, Wr = 1466 (not perfect, I know, but close enough for argument’s sake) > a/l = 50.3%, b/l = 49.7%. So the weight in the front hasn’t changed (a/l) so your maximum tractive effort (maximum acceleration) hasn’t changed.

Steering: The equation that matters is the understeer gradient. The cornering stiffness will not change, nor will the weight in the front. More weight in the rear will cause this gradient to become more negative, meaning the car will oversteer more.

Note: This is not perfect and the assumptions for maximum tractive effort can be disputed; however, the math for the understeer gradient is simple and a car with more weight in the rear than previous will oversteer more heavily than previous.
Attached Images

Soulman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soulman03 For This Useful Post:
FRiSson (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #33
Myv

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I ordered Winter i-cept evo, according to a magazine rating, it's pretty decent hopefully it'll hold up. It was also on clearance ($80~/per)

Mounting 205/50R17 XL on stock rims, then new rims and tires for summer.
Myv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #34
KevinBRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to get a price for winter tires today from some store online, and the rep said I couldn't use any because the speed rating was too low. Obviously it's too low compared to the summer tires, they are winter tires. Who is going to be going over 200km/h in winter? Anyway, now I have to go into the store. I just thought that was weird and they should know better.

Is there any sort of snow brush without bristles for clearing snow off the car? I don't want my clear coat to look like sand paper went over it.
KevinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #35
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbrown View Post
I would go with what Roddy has to say. He drove to Ottawa last February for our winter meet (3 hours one way) in a driving snow storm ( we got 30+cm's that day) and had no issues, although his car was more white than blue when he arrived. Just an FYI. I use the stock rims with I pikes and had no issues, also crowned the car which had maybe 3 drops of drip all winter and very easy to remove in the spring, also always wax my wife's and my car in September for a little added protection. My 2 cents.

I was going to mention that drive but didn't want to come across like I was bragging or something. If nothing else, it convinced (and surprised) me of this car's abilities in bad weather. The combination of traction control, stability control, and a limited slip differential are very effective at keeping you moving and pointed in the right direction.

Good point on the waxing...I'm on holidays next week, so I should get a couple of coats on there.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #36
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBRZ View Post
I wanted to get a price for winter tires today from some store online, and the rep said I couldn't use any because the speed rating was too low. Obviously it's too low compared to the summer tires, they are winter tires. Who is going to be going over 200km/h in winter? Anyway, now I have to go into the store. I just thought that was weird and they should know better.

Is there any sort of snow brush without bristles for clearing snow off the car? I don't want my clear coat to look like sand paper went over it.

That does sound odd. Watch they don't try to talk you into a more expensive tire on that premise.

There are silicone squeegee type brushes that many car dealers use, but I'm inclined to think that they would drag any dirt/grit/salt that is there across the paint, creating scratches. Once Canadian tire has all their winter stuff out, take a walk through the snow brush isle and feel the bristles. Some of the more modern designs are already frayed on the ends, and are very soft. I used one of these types last year, and the paint still looks great.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #37
Taro
You call him Dr. Jones!

Drives: 2013 Twin Mish-Mash
Thanked 1,030 Times in 439 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
That does sound odd. Watch they don't try to talk you into a more expensive tire on that premise.

There are silicone squeegee type brushes that many car dealers use, but I'm inclined to think that they would drag any dirt/grit/salt that is there across the paint, creating scratches. Once Canadian tire has all their winter stuff out, take a walk through the snow brush isle and feel the bristles. Some of the more modern designs are already frayed on the ends, and are very soft. I used one of these types last year, and the paint still looks great.
Hmm. I've been worried about the brushes too...how does everyone feel about the Toyota one that (may) have been supplied with the car?

Looks like that. The bristles feel pretty harsh to me.
Taro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #38
rxpx2012

Drives: FR-S Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Would some rain deflectors help with keeping the windows from sticking in the winter?
rxpx2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #39
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro View Post
Hmm. I've been worried about the brushes too...how does everyone feel about the Toyota one that (may) have been supplied with the car?

Looks like that. The bristles feel pretty harsh to me.
Bristles are very important. Some cheapo brushes actually scratch your clearcoat. Made in Canada tend to be better. Just never buy or use a really cheap snow brush, you'll regret it. Swirl is nothing to snow brush scratches.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #40
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpx2012 View Post
Would some rain deflectors help with keeping the windows from sticking in the winter?
Not up here. No liquid water after November.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #41
rxpx2012

Drives: FR-S Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wasn't sure if it would help keep some of the snow/ice from freezing at the top of the windows.
rxpx2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #42
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagmeister View Post
I can assure you that this design feature - in all coupes - is necessary for the frameless windows to clear the body. It is certainly not an option for the dealer to deactivate.

As you put it, just add some sort of lubrication around the seals to avoid damage
Sorry. You are wrong. Disabled mine and no issues. Other than no light when you open door.

Its a stupid feature for a car that is used in winter. Would not be as stupid if it defaulted to up rather than down position.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote