follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #1
evoto86

Drives: manual Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How often do you wash your car ?

I wash my 86 once every 2-3 months its parked in a garage and parked under shelter at work, the only thing is it accumulates a lot of dust but my understanding is that dust does not damage the paint work. Except when kn*b heads think its funny/clever to write something on your car.

Bird Stains, Bug Stains and Acid stains eat at and wreck paint so I'm always quick to remove any of that when I see it. My car is three years old and the paint is still like new and no swirl marks or marks anywhere that I can see.

My theory is the less I wash it I'm actually keeping the paint work in new condition because I'm not spreading that dirt and grime once a week into the paint work when washing it. Because washing your car is a process that might clean but damage your paint finish, of course you can minimise it by good washing techniques but you will still scratch your paint its not really avoidable, Is my thinking flawed ?

What are your thoughts ?
evoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,129 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Depends on a bunch of variables. How many miles you cover, weather conditions, bugs etc.
Best thing I can suggest if you want easy Maintenance is to look into a ceramic coating. At the very least a good sealant that will last between your washes.

I wash mine about weekly in the summer. I switch on and off between ONR rinseless washes and a two bucket with Adams shampoo and then air drying the car.

I much prefer to air dry as it involves less direct contact with the paint. With the two bucket and air dry my car was pretty much perfect with 15-20 washes the first year I had it.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Every time it gets dirty. Use water and 100% cotton towels most the time. Wheels get soap for the brake dust(Brembo are dusty). Car get soap every couple of months. On average probably once every week and a half or so.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
At least weekly all year round. Sometimes two or three times a week in the winter.
In freezing winter weather it just gets a touchless carwash drive through. May only stay clean 1/2 an hour but I get to enjoy the sparkle for a bit.
When not freezing and the rest of the year I hand wash with an automotive soap/polish combo (whatever is on sale) and microfiber cloths. It gets washed every Friday even if not "dirty".

If you are rinsing the coarse stuff off and using soft clothes you are not damaging the paint by washing it. There can be much more damage from letting contaminates (even invisible ones) sit on the surface.
Grady (08-22-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Pedro13

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
In summer, since I drive my car in a highway, the highway is full of bugs (and crap) and my car is halo (white) color, I wash it 2 to 3 times per week... Otherwise my front looks like a bug catalog. The way that I do it is buy one of this "season pass" of one of the Gas chain here (Petro -Canada) and ONLY using touchless car wash! Never (ever) use the ones with "gentile touch", because at the end I think this touch car washes damage your paint. After almost 3 years with my car, paint still looking great. I also wax my car once or twice per year and don't use it on winter. Last note: this "season pass cards" are little expensive, but if you have 2 or more cars are worth it( just make the math). Another alternative is buy one of this cards with a couple of friends and take turns, since you are allowed o have one "full wash" car per day...My two cents.
Pedro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pedro13 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
radon55

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I've been doing once every 2-3 weeks, or soon after a weekend drive that collects a lot of bugs. Since it's not my DD and sits in a parking garage, it doesn't collect debris too often.

I don't think washing more frequently causes any harm to the paint.
radon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro13 View Post
In summer, since I drive my car in a highway, the highway is full of bugs (and crap) and my car is halo (white) color, I wash it 2 to 3 times per week... Otherwise my front looks like a bug catalog. The way that I do it is buy one of this "season pass" of one of the Gas chain here (Petro -Canada) and ONLY using touchless car wash! Never (ever) use the ones with "gentile touch", because at the end I think this touch car washes damage your paint. After almost 3 years with my car, paint still looking great. I also wax my car once or twice per year and don't use it on winter. Last note: this "season pass cards" are little expensive, but if you have 2 or more cars are worth it( just make the math). Another alternative is buy one of this cards with a couple of friends and take turns, since you are allowed o have one "full wash" car per day...My two cents.

Hear ya on the bugs. There is nothing like driving through the swamps bordering the 401 at dusk or dawn.
No bugs.
No bugs
No bugs.
Swamp.
BAAM can't see through bug covered windshield.

Season passes can be had for as little as $100 around here. That is far less than the $14 per wash individual price. I know there are some that cost way more though and teaming up is the way to go.

Just one point on the touchless washes. They are not all created equal. Around here we have an abundance of lakes and river so have an extensive water supply. This means the wash is all done using fresh clean water. In many places the washes "filter" and reuse the same water over and over and over and over until it is more of a chemical stew than actual water. You don't want to use them too often in those areas.
Pedro13 (11-25-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Every couple weeks, provided my car hasn't blown up. If it does, it gets washed by Toyota before being re-delivered to me.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Every season at max.
Depends who shits on the car. If no shits, every 3 months.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #10
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Every other Saturday it gets washed and the interior vacuumed, takes about 20-30 minutes with a pressure washer, no touch method, and drying with a large microfiber.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #11
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
Every other Saturday it gets washed and the interior vacuumed, takes about 20-30 minutes with a pressure washer, no touch method, and drying with a large microfiber.
Do you use a dry-aid?
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #12
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hear ya on the bugs. There is nothing like driving through the swamps bordering the 401 at dusk or dawn.
No bugs.
No bugs
No bugs.
Swamp.
BAAM can't see through bug covered windshield.

Season passes can be had for as little as $100 around here. That is far less than the $14 per wash individual price. I know there are some that cost way more though and teaming up is the way to go.

Just one point on the touchless washes. They are not all created equal. Around here we have an abundance of lakes and river so have an extensive water supply. This means the wash is all done using fresh clean water. In many places the washes "filter" and reuse the same water over and over and over and over until it is more of a chemical stew than actual water. You don't want to use them too often in those areas.
Here $20/month unlimited. I do it for the trucks. For the sports cars I'm buying a water softener system. It will be good for the house Windows too.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #13
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Wash: every week, 2 at the max, includes interior and engine bay

Wax: every month, underbody also gets a clean monthly

This is my therapy time, nothing more relaxing than cleaning a car.

Apart from when I find a new scratch or ding, my brow furrows, my lips purse and my nostrils flare, for 1 second I'm Patrick Bateman, then it's, meh, shit happens, and I continue to clean
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
SkyeHack (02-22-2020), soundman98 (08-21-2019), Wally86 (06-22-2022), xPBx (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Wash: every week, 2 at the max, includes interior and engine bay

Wax: every month, underbody also gets a clean monthly

This is my therapy time, nothing more relaxing than cleaning a car.

Apart from when I find a new scratch or ding, my brow furrows, my lips purse and my nostrils flare, for 1 second I'm Patrick Bateman, then it's, meh, shit happens, and I continue to clean
Oh let’s not talk about the engine bay.