follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2019, 02:23 AM   #43
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I'd be more interested in what the people behind me are smelling when 3/4 throttle. If you smell it when stopping what are people smelling when you're full throttle? Maybe follow your own car and check it out?

I was behind a brand new Camaro the other day and holy feck did that thing stink! He didn't have enough HP he had to go full catless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoto86 View Post
Extra cat in the front pipe helps massively I don't smell a difference. If your going to do E85 and are doing a custom tune do it the same time as headers. Cold starts are bad with catless even with stock front pipe and cat back it's bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Good afternoon everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying your memorial day weekend. I'll be looking to do a couple mods to my BRZ this summer. Just want to give it a little bump in power so like everyone ever, I'll start of with headers and a tune. I was looking at catless UEL headers because they are a lot cheaper and have more variety than the catted ones. My question is if the pros to having catless headers outweigh the cons (smell, emissions etc.) I had a catless 335i and the smell has unbearable for me. I know it's a completely different engine so it might be a different experience. I don't mind a little whiff at cold starts or whatever, but I don't want to be suffocating in traffic or stop lights with the windows down. Would a dual resonated front pipe or something like the JDL Ultra Quiet help with this? Or should I just spend the extra $$$ on the catted headers? Also thinking about E85, but I'll figure this out first. Will be adding a lightweight catback and MAYBE an intake if it matters.

Also, if anyone in Houston knows how to get passed emissions please let me know lol. Had the catless 335i for a few months only so I never got to that point. All over the place lol but any extra advice or product recommendation is much appreciated. Thanks for reading

So I've got the stock frontpipe, e85 stage 2 oft tune with some tweaks and a catless UEL, have had friends follow behind with no issues. Even at full throttle, same with 93 octane tune, the cat in the front pipe really is more than enough at temperature and it depends on how you adjust your tune. It's really important you have a tune that's sort of around 14.7-15.3 afr in closed loop fueling. Also in the cold it helps to return the "loud cold start" it would help heat that secondary cat up.

The smell and noise issues are so varying depending on tune to tune and even car to car.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 05-29-2019 at 09:31 PM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 AM   #44
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyWitness View Post
Just curious has anyone gone from UEL catless to EL catless? I have Tomei UEL currently and am thinking about going Tomei EL. Or if anyone has gone from EL to UEL what are some differences you saw with your driving experience in day to day life or with spirited driving?

I am enjoying my Tomei UEL but my oil temps are getting around 237F with just like 20 minutes of spirited driving in the back roads, I do not have them coated or wrapped though. They're pretty loud, sound good though. The torque throughout the low range is very nice, but I have a small amount of smell compared to the stock headers. Im thinking of picking up the EL version of Tomei's headers, I am hoping it keeps my oil temps down since the pips dont run right next to the oil pan and Id love a new crisp sound of EL pulses with a bit more high end hp.

Fix the oil temps, not the header. Our cars have issues with under hood temps all around. Do you have an oil cooler? Try a good one of those first. And add vents to your hood as well.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #45
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No change in oil temps, Tomei UEL, a small bit of heat sheilding on the front face on the sump only.

I have replaced the OEM stone trays as well.
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #46
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyWitness View Post
Just curious has anyone gone from UEL catless to EL catless? I have Tomei UEL currently and am thinking about going Tomei EL. Or if anyone has gone from EL to UEL what are some differences you saw with your driving experience in day to day life or with spirited driving?

I am enjoying my Tomei UEL but my oil temps are getting around 237F with just like 20 minutes of spirited driving in the back roads, I do not have them coated or wrapped though. They're pretty loud, sound good though. The torque throughout the low range is very nice, but I have a small amount of smell compared to the stock headers. Im thinking of picking up the EL version of Tomei's headers, I am hoping it keeps my oil temps down since the pips dont run right next to the oil pan and Id love a new crisp sound of EL pulses with a bit more high end hp.

You just have the tomei and a tune If not what other mods? What was ambient temp? How are you measuring the oil temps? Are you on stock 0w-20? Altitude?

Highly recommend you do the following if those are your temps after just 20 minutes, as switching from uel to el will make no difference:

1. Edit your fan curves as was posted in a past tuning thread to keep the engine bay vented better (can find the post if you need it probably)

2. Invest in a thermostatic oil cooler

3. Ceramic coat the UELs (last effort)

4. Get a heat shield for the oil pan if need be, but Tomei and Gruppe both offered a heat shield for the oil pan (last effort)

It's relatively normal to reach 237-245 at full tilt on track/autox on a stock car, your goal should be 185-220 range, as the temps you are getting are track/auto-x temps that I got before an oil cooler.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote