follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2021, 10:32 PM   #15
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've had a couple no-starts where my engine wouldn't start on first crank when my engine was hot. I don't think it's much to worry about it besides something being out of range the moment you tried to start it again.

Injection sound is what makes up 90% of engine bay noise. You should just listen to the engine in different settings and states. I test mine every morning, doing different revs taking note of the injector and exhaust-sound feedback. I drive off down the road a couple minutes, pull over and park somewhere where I can hear the engine, listen for injector changeover.

You can also get a long screwdriver or long metal probe and listen to the injectors. I use a flexible claw grabber like pic: Very easy to listen to the injector pulses. You can also listen in on the valvetrain clicking away (it is very quiet and smooth).
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #16
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n0m41y View Post
Log successfully uploaded to datazap: https://datazap.me/u/ziltoid/001?log=0&data=1

Started from a dead stop on an on ramp, accelerated then cruised for about a mile or so, hit stoplight...waited...then did another pull and cruised for maybe 1/4mi
At a quick first glance everything looks pretty normal. I will take a closer look later.
4n0m41y (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #17
4n0m41y

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
At a quick first glance everything looks pretty normal. I will take a closer look later.
Greatly appreciated!
4n0m41y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:02 PM   #18
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Greatly appreciated!
Haven't been able to get romraider to load a v4 tune on my laptop. Still looking at.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:17 PM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Greatly appreciated!
Honestly, it looks okay. Could be something with the AVCS. The MAF and O2 look like they are reading fine.

@steve99
4n0m41y (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #20
4n0m41y

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Honestly, it looks okay. Could be something with the AVCS. The MAF and O2 look like they are reading fine.

@steve99
Thanks for checking it out! I'm unaware of how the AVCS works on these engines, but I'll do some googling. I see where that would make sense though as what I'm experiencing could probably more accurately have been described as "VTEC ain't kickn in yo". For example, normally when accelerating from a stop you mash it, and it's like...yeah ok I'm moving, then there's a point around 3500/4000ish where you think, hey alright this isn't too bad...I don't get that "this isn't too bad" feeling anymore, just flat until around 5500 and even up that high it doesn't pull like it did at 4000 before whatever happened happened...It's strange.

If it were some bad gas, that probably would have been visible in the logs as quite a bit of knock I'm guessing?

Push comes to shove, I'll reflash the factory tune and take it to the dealer to see if they can find anything...although I'm like 1 of 3 of these cars in my area so the chances of them knowing what the car's suppose to run like compared to what it's running like now are slim at best.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #21
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:

If it were some bad gas, that probably would have been visible in the logs as quite a bit of knock I'm guessing?
Yes, but your IAM is going up during the log so it rules that out.
4n0m41y (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #22
4n0m41y

Wait a minute. I just remembered something. Way back when I first got this thing I took it to the dealer I got it from (was a hyundai dealer someone traded this in after putting 6k miles on it for some reason) for an oil change once (cause free oil changes for a year) and they put conventional 5w-30 in it! I made it a couple miles down the road and realized something wasn't right...It was running kind of similar to how it is now, like it felt way down on power. I turned around, took straight back and said...tf? This thing should be running a full synthetic 0w-20. They changed it out, and back to normal.

So with this realization, plus if the avcs system uses oil pressure for engagement (like those solenoids on the bseries engines...just guessing)...now I'm wondering if, hell maybe I just need an oil change? Last change was about 14 months ago...BUT...BUT...hear me out....It's only been driven about 4k miles sense then. Think this full synthetic oil could have broken down to the point that it's ****n off the avcs system? Or am I connecting dots that aren't there >_<.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4n0m41y For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 11:07 PM   #23
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wait a minute. I just remembered something. Way back when I first got this thing I took it to the dealer I got it from (was a hyundai dealer someone traded this in after putting 6k miles on it for some reason) for an oil change once (cause free oil changes for a year) and they put conventional 5w-30 in it! I made it a couple miles down the road and realized something wasn't right...It was running kind of similar to how it is now, like it felt way down on power. I turned around, took straight back and said...tf? This thing should be running a full synthetic 0w-20. They changed it out, and back to normal.

So with this realization, plus if the avcs system uses oil pressure for engagement (like those solenoids on the bseries engines...just guessing)...now I'm wondering if, hell maybe I just need an oil change? Last change was about 14 months ago...BUT...BUT...hear me out....It's only been driven about 4k miles sense then. Think this full synthetic oil could have broken down to the point that it's ****n off the avcs system? Or am I connecting dots that aren't there >_<.
That would be my reckoning (about the dots) -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
4n0m41y (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 04:42 AM   #24
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Uhh oh...what did I do? So this morning on my way to work I was stopped at the top of a hill, but when I went to take off forgot I was still in third...chug...chug...die, slight moment of embarrassment. When I went to fire the engine back up I noticed it took several cranks...like so many more than normal that I'm bringing it up. But it eventually turned over and off I went.

I got about half a mile or so down the road and went to turn onto another street and accelerated in first, and instantly noticed that it felt like half my power was missing. For example instead of feeling the slight pull at around 3500 or so there was nothing until around 5500 and even that felt off. Got to work, parked it, thought...eah maybe it's just in my head.

This evening after work, jumped back in and nope...wasn't in my head. No power up until 5500/6000 and it just doesn't feel "right". No CEL though...which I find strange. Almost feels like it's starved for air, like something's choking it out. I pulled the air box off of it just to check and nothing at the filter level or down in the inlet pipe is obstructing airflow (for as far back as I could fit my hand (the piece that runs into the front bumper cover)).

Started thinking maybe the DI system isn't engaging...but you'd think there'd be a CEL in that case. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Have any ideas?

Not sure if it's worth mentioning or not, but I have a stage 1 OFT flash on the ecu (that was done like 4 or 5 months ago with no issues).

Bonus question: If I wind up taking this to the dealer should I flash back to the factory tune? I mean it's a 2013 that has no warranty left on anything. If I don't need to, I'd rather not flash it back.

Log data with oft

post logs to www.datazap.me

check di computer eathed with all three bolts

car starts on port

then switches to di and port
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:34 AM   #25
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm running 5W30 synthetic right now, it's not affecting the AVCS.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #26
4n0m41y

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Log data with oft
post logs to www.datazap.me
log uploaded to: https://datazap.me/u/ziltoid/001?log=0&data=1
Old 07-16-2021, 10:42 PM   #27
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:

if thats a petrol oft tune its running lean at full throttle high 12 should be high 11

fuel trims look ok at idle so bit unusual but check fot inrake and exhaust leaks clean maf sensor and check di comluter bolts all three in and tight
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
4n0m41y (07-16-2021), NoHaveMSG (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 11:03 PM   #28
4n0m41y

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
if thats a petrol oft tune its running lean at full throttle high 12 should be high 11

fuel trims look ok at idle so bit unusual but check fot inrake and exhaust leaks clean maf sensor and check di comluter bolts all three in and tight
Stage 1 oft tune for 91, and I run 93 through it. Will do the aforementioned and report back. Thanks!