follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #15
Quasimofo

Drives: 2019 Series Gray BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Try out a rotary powered car with premix, catless car will smell like perfume after that
Try out two stroke motorcycles running Sunoco Maximal 112 octane leaded. And premix it. God I miss that smell. Don't miss rejetting carbs and getting it all over my hands though.

Honestly love being behind a properly tuned car/bike with no cats. Smell is great! Might be the brain damage talkin' though.
Quasimofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Is this the cat you are looking for
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (05-28-2019), Tcoat (05-28-2019), Will BRZ (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Keep the catted frontpipe. Even stock isn't much of a restriction, though a high flow may deliver a slightly better power curve.

My wife hates being in the garage for cold starts due to the smell (Ace 350, JDL ultra quiet FP... Catted)
Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #18
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Good afternoon everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying your memorial day weekend. I'll be looking to do a couple mods to my BRZ this summer. Just want to give it a little bump in power so like everyone ever, I'll start of with headers and a tune. I was looking at catless UEL headers because they are a lot cheaper and have more variety than the catted ones. My question is if the pros to having catless headers outweigh the cons (smell, emissions etc.) I had a catless 335i and the smell has unbearable for me. I know it's a completely different engine so it might be a different experience. I don't mind a little whiff at cold starts or whatever, but I don't want to be suffocating in traffic or stop lights with the windows down. Would a dual resonated front pipe or something like the JDL Ultra Quiet help with this? Or should I just spend the extra $$$ on the catted headers? Also thinking about E85, but I'll figure this out first. Will be adding a lightweight catback and MAYBE an intake if it matters.

Also, if anyone in Houston knows how to get passed emissions please let me know lol. Had the catless 335i for a few months only so I never got to that point. All over the place lol but any extra advice or product recommendation is much appreciated. Thanks for reading
Texas does not do visual or smog/emissions testing. All you need is tune to make sure there are no CELs as you cannot pass state inspection if you have CELs.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #19
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I wonder what happens when one drives through other state with different rules/regulations and is checked on the road by some traffic cop ..
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I'd be more interested in what the people behind me are smelling when 3/4 throttle. If you smell it when stopping what are people smelling when you're full throttle? Maybe follow your own car and check it out?

I was behind a brand new Camaro the other day and holy feck did that thing stink! He didn't have enough HP he had to go full catless :/
A couple of years ago I attended a big classic car meet. At 4:00 when it was over about 300 cars fired up their V8, mechanical advanced distributer, carbureted, pre emission control cars and paraded down the road. The stench was unbearable. When you consider that well into the early 80s there were still many, many of these cars on the road and that they were not perfectly tuned and maintained as the show cars it shows just how bad it was before emission controls. A traffic jam back then was hell on earth that you had to experience to understand. So bad in fact that people died from it. The young guys that have never been exposed to those conditions will never truly be able to grasp the difference that emission controls have made.
I do not believe that a few "enthusiast" cars driving around catless makes any form of impact at all but just imagine if every beat up, poor running, minivan, Corolla, Neon, etc was driving around with no cats. Things would be hundreds of times worse with the number of cars on the road now than they were even back then.
Danny318 (10-12-2020), DarkSunrise (05-28-2019), e_lunatic (05-28-2019), new2subaru (05-28-2019), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I wonder what happens when one drives through other state with different rules/regulations and is checked on the road by some traffic cop ..
Technically the laws that not to tamper with emission control systems in the US are federal so it wouldn't matter where the car is from. The state laws that take things even further would only apply to the state where the car is registered though. This is one of the several reasons that people in California like to register their car to other states.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #22
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Technically the laws that not to tamper with emission control systems in the US are federal so it wouldn't matter where the car is from. The state laws that take things even further would only apply to the state where the car is registered though. This is one of the several reasons that people in California like to register their car to other states.
Another reasson for not visiting Cali
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Another reasson for not visiting Cali
Oh it is a great place to visit!
Old 05-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #24
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh it is a great place to visit!
If I ever went to the states, I think Cali would be the only place I'd visit lol
Old 05-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
If I ever went to the states, I think Cali would be the only place I'd visit lol
There are loads of great places to visit there. California was actually the place it took me the longest to visit. Have been there 3 times in the last 2 years though. I spend a lot of time in the Detroit area for work and even most of that is pretty nice.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #26
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
Texas does not do visual or smog/emissions testing. All you need is tune to make sure there are no CELs as you cannot pass state inspection if you have CELs.
Wait seriously? I’ve been told otherwise. I will be running a tune to get rid of the check engine light. I know someone who can pass me, but I’d rather not go that rout.
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #27
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
A couple of years ago I attended a big classic car meet. At 4:00 when it was over about 300 cars fired up their V8, mechanical advanced distributer, carbureted, pre emission control cars and paraded down the road. The stench was unbearable. When you consider that well into the early 80s there were still many, many of these cars on the road and that they were not perfectly tuned and maintained as the show cars it shows just how bad it was before emission controls. A traffic jam back then was hell on earth that you had to experience to understand. So bad in fact that people died from it. The young guys that have never been exposed to those conditions will never truly be able to grasp the difference that emission controls have made.
I do not believe that a few "enthusiast" cars driving around catless makes any form of impact at all but just imagine if every beat up, poor running, minivan, Corolla, Neon, etc was driving around with no cats. Things would be hundreds of times worse with the number of cars on the road now than they were even back then.
For sure, I remember gagging on fumes in the back of a 72 New Yorker with 5 siblings. I went to LA when I was 12, you couldn't see the building across the street and they basically evacuated us from the area. Fun times!

I agree that a few catless headers (I'll get an electric mower) won't cause that much of an issue but I don't want to be leaving a trail of stink behind me either...
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #28
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,057 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
catless is not necessarily smelly, ask your tuner to offset the lambda scaling to make it leaner during closed loop. for example 14.7 can become a 15.5-16 without you even notice, and you gain a little more reactive car down low and almost no smell
i'm catless and can t even notice the smell even if I keep. the door open with engine on
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote