follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #71
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, I haven't received a letter yet from Toyota, but my local dealership just called me directly to schedule the work. Unfortunately I missed the call and am waiting for a callback now...curious what info will come out of this..
Old 01-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #72
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafrs View Post
not even the DI seals?

I want to do the motor mounts because it should be way easier now than if I need to do the headers down the road (my exaust system will rust out within a few years). The OEM mounts should fail eventually.

I have a good relationship with the Toyota shop manager here (had to do an engine replacement last year on a sienna) and am hoping he will approve T&M for any add-on work.
Well, I reckon replacing the DI seals would be your call. However, the dealership may charge you -

My take is - if it ain't broke ….

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #73
ottawafrs

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
just to circle back, because the intake manifold isn't coming off for this recall work, you save no/minimal time for the DI seal job. Because that means ~$500 parts cost, ~$500+ labour, and a lot of frustration for a tech that's likely doing the seals for the first time ever, I'm not going to get this done pre-emptively. If I go FI, i'll just do it at that time.
ottawafrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #74
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crydo View Post
I have the actual recall repair manual, it says if the spring broke it almost always happens within the first 5000km/miles.

I think I wont do the recall on mine.
My brz has only done about 24000km in 6yrs , but now i am too scared to use 7000rpm and if i took it in for the valve spring recall i would be too scared to use more than 2000rpm.
Also if getting more work done during the recall , it just presents even more opportunity for the "talented techs" to **** up the car even more.
The only good mechanics around sydney own their own business!
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #75
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
My brz has only done about 24000km in 6yrs , but now i am too scared to use 7000rpm and if i took it in for the valve spring recall i would be too scared to use more than 2000rpm.
Also if getting more work done during the recall , it just presents even more opportunity for the "talented techs" to **** up the car even more.
The only good mechanics around sydney own their own business!
I've been trying to stay off of my soapbox as much as I can bear. Your valve springs are perfectly ok. Bounce off of the rev limiter. Drive it like you stole it. If you happened to be one of the few unlucky people to get a defective spring, it would have let go within the first few months of ownership. Period.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #76
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I've been trying to stay off of my soapbox as much as I can bear. Your valve springs are perfectly ok. Bounce off of the rev limiter. Drive it like you stole it. If you happened to be one of the few unlucky people to get a defective spring, it would have let go within the first few months of ownership. Period.
Your words... so soothed
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-16-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 02:07 AM   #77
Crydo

Drives: 2012 GT86 Dark Grey
Quote:

I still want to help people here and post the manual, however it says confidential just about everywhere and I dont want to get into trouble.
Crydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:44 AM   #78
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I still want to help people here and post the manual, however it says confidential just about everywhere and I dont want to get into trouble.
Don't do it. It's not worth any trouble.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #79
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

What manual, the recall instructions? If so, they are already public on the NHTSA site:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...72&docType=RCL
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #80
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Garage
All, just reading the comments here, I thought I'd throw something out there. I have a built n/a motor from @Elementtuning. This included aftermarket valve springs. When getting my wrx serviced the local subie dealership offered to do the valve spring work on my brz. I told them my motor is far from stock and I'm planning on skipping. The adviser told me to bring it in, note what's been done and they'll somehow mark my car down as completed or incompletable? due to aftermarket parts already existing. He said that you could insist you have aftermarket stuff on the car and thus the vehicle is no longer applicable, in some way for the recall. I only mention this as I know some people in Cali are freaking out because they believe they may be forced to do the recall and blow their motor. Given the age of the affected vehicles it might not be a bad idea to simply go in with the recall notice and say I'm in no way stock, please mark me as completeish? I'm not sure if this will help the Cali folks but its worth a go.

For the record this was Frederick, MD Subaru and I've had pretty good luck with them.

Best of luck everyone

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #81
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
What manual, the recall instructions? If so, they are already public on the NHTSA site:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...72&docType=RCL
He's referring to an internal subaru memo. He's been privy to their analysis in which findings empirically agree with standard stuff that is taught in undergraduate Mechanics of Materials and Material Science courses required for a BSME. Crydo is Dutch.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #82
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
He's referring to an internal subaru memo. He's been privy to their analysis in which findings empirically agree with standard stuff that is taught in undergraduate Mechanics of Materials and Material Science courses required for a BSME. Crydo is Dutch.

Oh I see. Yeah that would be cool to see.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #83
entaroadum

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
What strikes me as odd about this is, if it truly is something that "always" happens in the first 5k miles, why recall it so many years later when all cars affected have LONG passed the 5k mark.

PS. My MY13 BRZ failed about 3 weeks ago, they're still investigating (the lone Subaru dealership in my country) if it's recall related. I'm not from the USA btw
entaroadum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #84
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by entaroadum View Post
What strikes me as odd about this is, if it truly is something that "always" happens in the first 5k miles, why recall it so many years later when all cars affected have LONG passed the 5k mark.

PS. My MY13 BRZ failed about 3 weeks ago, they're still investigating (the lone Subaru dealership in my country) if it's recall related. I'm not from the USA btw
I think fear of litigation trumps logic in this case. What happened to your engine? Was it sudden?