follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #3851
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
K-member often also bends if the arm bends... Though not always.

so is the k member the things shaped like < that attach to the subframe?
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:10 PM   #3852
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
so is the k member the things shaped like < that attach to the subframe?
Well, it's the thing that looks like >-< that also holds the engine up and the inboard suspension arm mounts to it... It sorta looks like a 'K' once off the car.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #3853
Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Well, it's the thing that looks like >-< that also holds the engine up and the inboard suspension arm mounts to it... It sorta looks like a 'K' once off the car.

so the whole subframe. if i bent that its staying bent :\
Old 04-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #3854
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You can center the subframe, they're almost never "right" from the factory. That is pretty low camber though.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:28 PM   #3855
ConnorJ

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey everybody! I'm in my third season of autocross and had been considering traveling to Bristol or Peru, but I've instead decided to use that money to finish prepping the car for STX. I was never much into cars before some coworkers introduced me to autocross, so apologies if I'm ignorant of some things. My current mod list is below, but I have a few questions on some other things.

1) Headers. UEL vs EL. The setup thread seems to have a pretty good split. I've been leaning UEL (either JDL or Tomei), but I also hear good things about the JDL 4-2-1. What opinions/advice can you all give me on this?

1a) When I purchase the headers, I'm planning on doing the work myself with a couple of friends. Will I be able to drive the car to the tuner's shop, or will it go into limp mode to the point that I'll need to tow it?

1b) Overpipe. I have an issue in my current setup where under torque, the overpipe drops enough to rub against one of the collars for the sway bar. I've adjusted it a few times and even added a couple of washers to the subframe to try and get more separation. I think, but am not certain, that this is the OEM overpipe. Will I be able to possibly adjust this while installing the header to help with clearance, or should I look at getting a new overpipe too?

2) Tuning. Is it worth it to buy an EcuTek and have a local tuner do the tune with a dyno, or will an OFT basic tune be sufficient? I also daily the car currently, so would I want to look into a piggyback tune so I could run better efficiency day-to-day?

3) Wheels. I purchased Enkei RPF1 17x9 last year, but it seems I bought the wrong offset. With the 45 offset, and no spacers, I've rubbed through the inside of my fender liner a bit. Would it be better to sell the 45 offset wheels and buy 35s, or would just using 10mm spacers up front be perfectly fine?

2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Suspension: Tein Flex Z
Sway Bars: Whiteline 19mm (Front), OEM (Rear)
Intake: Injen Tuned (https://injen.com/i-30498160-injen-s...d-sp1230p.html)
Exhaust: Perrin Catback (https://www.perrin.com/shop/exhaust/...atback-exhaust)
Wheels: Enkei RPF1 17x9 45mm
Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 245x40x17

Fluids:
Oil: Mobil1 0W20 Synthetic
Trans: Redline MT-90 (GL-4)
Diff: Redline 75W90

Other than headers and a tune, I'm planning on getting camber-adjustable rear control arms as well. I know the Teins aren't the best, but they were on the car when I bought it, so I'm rolling with it. I might replace them down the road once everything else is in place. What other advice or suggestions do you have to help me finish prepping the car?

Thanks!
Tennessee Valley Region - STX #15
ConnorJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #3856
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorJ View Post
Hey everybody! I'm in my third season of autocross and had been considering traveling to Bristol or Peru, but I've instead decided to use that money to finish prepping the car for STX. I was never much into cars before some coworkers introduced me to autocross, so apologies if I'm ignorant of some things. My current mod list is below, but I have a few questions on some other things.

1) Headers. UEL vs EL. The setup thread seems to have a pretty good split. I've been leaning UEL (either JDL or Tomei), but I also hear good things about the JDL 4-2-1. What opinions/advice can you all give me on this?

If you want to same some money Tomei is a good choice. However JDL 4-2-1 makes more power mid-range and at the upper end of the spectrum on these cars (I've had both headers and could tell a difference). However Tomei makes great power as well so really just depends on how much money you want to spend

1a) When I purchase the headers, I'm planning on doing the work myself with a couple of friends. Will I be able to drive the car to the tuner's shop, or will it go into limp mode to the point that I'll need to tow it?

You'll maybe throw a CEL and that's it. No biggie,you'll be fine

1b) Overpipe. I have an issue in my current setup where under torque, the overpipe drops enough to rub against one of the collars for the sway bar. I've adjusted it a few times and even added a couple of washers to the subframe to try and get more separation. I think, but am not certain, that this is the OEM overpipe. Will I be able to possibly adjust this while installing the header to help with clearance, or should I look at getting a new overpipe too?

OE OP is seriously restrictive, replace it.

2) Tuning. Is it worth it to buy an EcuTek and have a local tuner do the tune with a dyno, or will an OFT basic tune be sufficient? I also daily the car currently, so would I want to look into a piggyback tune so I could run better efficiency day-to-day?

I personally prefer ECUtek. I think the tuners on that platform are a bit more well known and have track record to prove it. Just IMO. The remote tunes are supposedly good, I got mine done on a Dyno. To each their own

3) Wheels. I purchased Enkei RPF1 17x9 last year, but it seems I bought the wrong offset. With the 45 offset, and no spacers, I've rubbed through the inside of my fender liner a bit. Would it be better to sell the 45 offset wheels and buy 35s, or would just using 10mm spacers up front be perfectly fine?

You can run a spacer no issues, just make sure you run proper studs.

Fluids:
Oil: Mobil1 0W20 Synthetic Get id of 0W-20 and go 5W-30 (And not Mobil one either)

Other than headers and a tune, I'm planning on getting camber-adjustable rear control arms as well. I know the Teins aren't the best, but they were on the car when I bought it, so I'm rolling with it. I might replace them down the road once everything else is in place. What other advice or suggestions do you have to help me finish prepping the car?

Run the car as is, identify problem areas with the car how you see fit on how it performs on course. No reason for us to tell you to spend money on this or that if you don't know what you're doing and how it is impacting your car. My $0.02

Thanks!
Comments in red
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #3857
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I was never much into cars before some coworkers introduced me to autocross.

Quote:
Headers. UEL vs EL.
UEL if you want that distinct Subaru sound.
I would think EL would be better performance wise.
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #3858
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfool View Post
UEL if you want that distinct Subaru sound.
I would think EL would be better performance wise.
General consensus;

long tube EL > UEL > short tube EL
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #3859
Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Comments in red

ive been running amazon full synth 5w30 and and it has all the certifications needed. 20$ for 5L and my oil results have come back every time saying i could run it way more than 6k even with ethanol. my filters are subaru black
Old 06-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #3860
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Quote:

Fluids:
Oil: Mobil1 0W20 Synthetic

Thanks!
Connor, I think you are the one that rode with me last year at Milton Frank. I've got the dark gray car, it was SSC, but moved to STX for this year.

1) I have the JDL 4-2-1. I wanted and initially ordered the ACE, but lead time was shorter with the JDL and I wanted the car together for Dixie (which I bailed on due to COVID). One thing to note with the latest iteration of the JDL is that it is SUPER close to the radiator mount and plastic fan. I wouldn't be surprised if I start to melt my fan at some point.

If I didn't hate money, I would have gone Tomei UEL.

1a) I drove mine a few times between header and tune and no CEL. I didn't lean on it, but the car actually felt really good.

2) I went ECUtek, remote tune with XERO Limit. It seemed like the easy button and it has been. OFT is fine, too. And cheaper. Kyle was the only car in the top 3 at nats with ECUtek.

3) I went et35, but that was a time thing as I scrambled to do my build in a week's time. I think 45's and spacers up front is the optimal setup.

Definitely go 5w30 oil. I was running the Toyota 0w20 stuff (for documentation purposes) and was going into limp mode with a slow cam response CEL at pros and other hot weather fast paced autocrosses. Going to a 5w30 seemed to clear that up.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #3861
steverife

Also, it would be super great to have you at the Bristol Pro. STX needs another entry to not get bumped into an indexed class.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #3862
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
Connor, I think you are the one that rode with me last year at Milton Frank. I've got the dark gray car, it was SSC, but moved to STX for this year.

1) I have the JDL 4-2-1. I wanted and initially ordered the ACE, but lead time was shorter with the JDL and I wanted the car together for Dixie (which I bailed on due to COVID). One thing to note with the latest iteration of the JDL is that it is SUPER close to the radiator mount and plastic fan. I wouldn't be surprised if I start to melt my fan at some point.

If I didn't hate money, I would have gone Tomei UEL.

1a) I drove mine a few times between header and tune and no CEL. I didn't lean on it, but the car actually felt really good.

2) I went ECUtek, remote tune with XERO Limit. It seemed like the easy button and it has been. OFT is fine, too. And cheaper. Kyle was the only car in the top 3 at nats with ECUtek.

3) I went et35, but that was a time thing as I scrambled to do my build in a week's time. I think 45's and spacers up front is the optimal setup.

Definitely go 5w30 oil. I was running the Toyota 0w20 stuff (for documentation purposes) and was going into limp mode with a slow cam response CEL at pros and other hot weather fast paced autocrosses. Going to a 5w30 seemed to clear that up.
I thought Ray revised his tune for 2019 and went from OFT to EcuTek when he got his new header?
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #3863
steverife

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
I thought Ray revised his tune for 2019 and went from OFT to EcuTek when he got his new header?
I've never specifically asked him, but based off some of the things he's said in a group text, that would make sense.

...and that does bring up a good point for Connor, the people that spend for an EL like the JDL do tend to go ECUtek, so that is something to consider if you want more support in optimizing your setup.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #3864
sifl

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ray did switch to Ecutek before Nats. I chatted with him about it last year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
sifl is offline   Reply With Quote