follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
Rabrooks

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
help with sorting frs computers 2 questions

Not sure this is the best place for this question. If not, let me know.
I did an auto to manual swap. Was told I had to get a manual ecm and bcm. So, I did. Couldn't get the car to relearn or start. Not even turn over. I reinstalled the original ecm and bcm out of curiosity. The engine fired right up and the car runs fine with the manual trans and the auto computers. Perplexed.

Trying to get the car looked at by toyota or Subaru. Subaru says they can't look at it because Toyota only uses Techstream. Toyota says Subaru is only BLAH BLAH BLAH for diagnostics. How is that so when the computers have subaru and toyota printed on them. And we all know you can throw a toyota computer in a Subaru and vise versa with no concerns.

So just looking for a little clarification and understanding.

Thanks
Roger
Rabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Rabrooks (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
steve99
Banned

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=3042965
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Rabrooks (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
Rabrooks

Thanks for those links. I am fairly familiar with both of them as I have read them both several times.
I have the 2.0 Tactrix and ECUFLASH. When i tried to use it, I was getting a no communication, fault. So far I have not been successful at getting the tactrix to talk to my car. It may be my computer as it is a 64 bit system and Tactrix recommends a 32 bit system. If there is a way to set this up differently, please let me know.
Also I have a recent version of Techstream but I havent tried to use it. Will the tactrix dongle work with Techstreeam?
Currently the engine is out of the car as I am having machine work done to it. So, I don't think I would be able to do too much with it right now. I should have the engine back together and in the car in about 30 days. At that point I want to figure out how to get the tactrix dongle to work. Any advice you can offer is appreciated.
Thanks
Roger
Old 04-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Rabrooks

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62332

I need an education on definition files. Is that what is listed in the thread posted above. How do I use them? Where do I download them from?
Roger
Old 04-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrooks View Post
Thanks for those links. I am fairly familiar with both of them as I have read them both several times.
I have the 2.0 Tactrix and ECUFLASH. When i tried to use it, I was getting a no communication, fault. So far I have not been successful at getting the tactrix to talk to my car. It may be my computer as it is a 64 bit system and Tactrix recommends a 32 bit system. If there is a way to set this up differently, please let me know.
Also I have a recent version of Techstream but I havent tried to use it. Will the tactrix dongle work with Techstreeam?
Currently the engine is out of the car as I am having machine work done to it. So, I don't think I would be able to do too much with it right now. I should have the engine back together and in the car in about 30 days. At that point I want to figure out how to get the tactrix dongle to work. Any advice you can offer is appreciated.
Thanks
Roger

yes tactrix works with techstream

can you post up the ecuflash log when car fails to connect

check battery volts are at least 12V

Tactrix does have thin pins, try bending both rows of pins inwards slightly so it makes better contact with obd sockets.

2013 and earlier cars were known to have obd socket issues

If the tactrix was reading vin and ecu calid then saying comms fault it might be because ecu has be locked by another tune system like ecutek or brzedit
Old 04-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Quote:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62332

I need an education on definition files. Is that what is listed in the thread posted above. How do I use them? Where do I download them from?
Roger

tactrix should always read ecu withour correct definitions.

you just cannot edit or flash rom without a definition
Old 04-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #8
Rabrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
yes tactrix works with techstream

can you post up the ecuflash log when car fails to connect

check battery volts are at least 12V

Tactrix does have thin pins, try bending both rows of pins inwards slightly so it makes better contact with obd sockets.

2013 and earlier cars were known to have obd socket issues

If the tactrix was reading vin and ecu calid then saying comms fault it might be because ecu has be locked by another tune system like ecutek or brzedit
I can't share them as i didn't save anything. With no connection I assumed there was nothing to save
The battery was fully charged and monitored during relearn and other operations. Volts never dropped below 12.4
Have you written a post on how to save the files and post them.
I struggle with some of this because some of this is new to me. I am struggling with some of the language and abbreviations.
Thanks
Old 05-01-2020, 04:54 AM   #9
steve99
Banned

Quote:
I can't share them as i didn't save anything. With no connection I assumed there was nothing to save
The battery was fully charged and monitored during relearn and other operations. Volts never dropped below 12.4
I struggle with some of this because some of this is new to me. I am struggling with some of the language and abbreviations.
Thanks

maybe just post a screen shot of the ecuflash log screen whwncyou try to read ecu
Old 05-01-2020, 07:41 AM   #10
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Thanks

maybe just post a screen shot of the ecuflash log screen whwncyou try to read ecu