follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List
MisterSheep

Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 AM   #5433
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I can't guarantee anything... However, I am feeling like I might be coming down with something and sometimes my illnesses only last a day but don't really start for a week..

So in other words, I'm possibly down. At least for the southbay/peninsula portion. Definitely post the details once you know the plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuJoe View Post
@BigFatFlip - the best thing about being in between jobs is weekday drives.
So my poor dog isn't doing so good tonight and she might have to go to the vet, so I might have to cut my little excursion short. Might just have to do the good ol Redwood rd. run and stop by Village inn for a late 2nd breakfast before heading back...
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #5434
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
So my poor dog isn't doing so good tonight and she might have to go to the vet, so I might have to cut my little excursion short. Might just have to do the good ol Redwood rd. run and stop by Village inn for a late 2nd breakfast before heading back...
Oh no! No worries! I hope your dog's okay.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #5435
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:

Hope your pup is doing ok now Bryan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:55 AM   #5436
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Oh no! No worries! I hope your dog's okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Hope your pup is doing ok now Bryan.
Thanks guys, she is doing much better. Basically got a huge gash along her eye brow (doing god knows what in the back yard) that needed stitches. I tried cleaning it and bandaging it the night before but she kept pawing at it and it kept bleeding, so decided to take her to the vet the following morning, got her sorted out, dropped her off at home, then headed over to the east bay.

First stop was to Orinda for some breakfast. There's this place called Village Inn cafe that served really good corned beef hash but is under new management (original owner retired). Menu was very similar so I went with my regular: corned beef hash, 2 eggs over easy and a waffle. It was close, but just not the same.

Then hopped on to wildcat canyon-cut thru golf course-grizzly peak. Stopped by the over look to check out the view of the bay but it was unfortunately still foggy, even at 10am. I then proceeded further down grizzly peak, to skyline, pinehurst and redwood. The road brought back so many memories, lots of very familiar corners and yet a lot of its "character" has changed. So many sections have gotten gnarly or have been repaired since the year or so I've last been here. Some of the larger pot holes have been repaired but I hated how the transitions between the old and fresh asphalt are so abrupt, they really unsettled the car (I would have been much easier to just swerve or changer your line around the pot hole).

Also, WTF is up with bay area cyclists?! I usually give plenty of space for them, but how am I supposed to go around you if you are taking the whole lane? Even worse, I've come across 2-3 cyclists riding side by side at least a couple of times who would refuse to go single file for me to get around them. "share the road" my @$$

By the time I made it down the hill, I felt like I was robbed the pleasure, so I decided to turn around at the xmas tree farm and go back up and out to fish ranch rd. By this time, it was around 1pm and there was a good amount of slower traffic. Hopped back on to 24 and headed home after that. Too bad, I really wanted to head down south and get some artichoke bread, but maybe next time, when I head to Canepa
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-12-2019), PMok (05-12-2019), spike021 (05-13-2019), TofuJoe (05-29-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #5437
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Went up and down hwy 9 yesterday about 3pm. Nice drive, lots of cars out in the good weather. Two guys in a shiny new red car went off course toward the top, but didn't look like anyone was hurt.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
spike021 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #5438
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Wife and I did a pie run today. Gizdich was quite busy. Found a deli in town, Carmonas Bbq Deli, and had a great brisket sammy before pie. Nice weather.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (05-13-2019), finch1750 (05-13-2019), spike021 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 AM   #5439
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
First stop was to Orinda for some breakfast. There's this place called Village Inn cafe that served really good corned beef hash but is under new management (original owner retired). Menu was very similar so I went with my regular: corned beef hash, 2 eggs over easy and a waffle. It was close, but just not the same.
Also, WTF is up with bay area cyclists?! I usually give plenty of space for them, but how am I supposed to go around you if you are taking the whole lane? Even worse, I've come across 2-3 cyclists riding side by side at least a couple of times who would refuse to go single file for me to get around them. "share the road" my @$$
Village Inn Cafe is fantastic. It's off menu, but they can also make a monte cristo sandwich that's to die for.

Cyclists are generally a bunch of slow-rolling pieces of shit that think they're God's gift to the universe. Only a tiny fraction of the time to cyclists move over, but they sure as fuck like to tell me to slow down. I like to extend my middle finger. If for some reason I wanted to spend hours moving slowly while grinding painfully into my prostate, I think I'd manage to do it while closely hugging the side of the road.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
0x56 (05-13-2019), spike021 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #5440
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Then hopped on to wildcat canyon-cut thru golf course-grizzly peak. Stopped by the over look to check out the view of the bay but it was unfortunately still foggy, even at 10am. I then proceeded further down grizzly peak, to skyline, pinehurst and redwood. The road brought back so many memories, lots of very familiar corners and yet a lot of its "character" has changed. So many sections have gotten gnarly or have been repaired since the year or so I've last been here. Some of the larger pot holes have been repaired but I hated how the transitions between the old and fresh asphalt are so abrupt, they really unsettled the car (I would have been much easier to just swerve or changer your line around the pot hole).

Here was the view at 7:30 AM yesterday. Damn Karl.

On the bright side, going that early meant I only caught one car and one bicyclist north bound on Redwood and got by both quickly.
Attached Images

driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driggity For This Useful Post:
spike021 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #5441
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Supposedly some crap about how the sides of roads have too much debris that would be easy to slide around on or something.

Several months back I was on a nice smooth road at like 8pm, two lanes in my direction. No bike lane but there's a parallel service/residential road with absolutely no traffic that time of night.

But.. a cyclist decides to take the right lane (slightly downhill) and slow down all the traffic. I wind up being behind him (he's center but shaded a bit more toward the other lane on the left) and I want to pass of course. But he wasn't really letting me (speed limit there is 35mph iirc and at this point I'm going maybe 25-30mph-ish).

So I do a couple quick honks to let him know he's holding up traffic.

I finally get a chance to pass him, but wind up at a red light at the end of the long block. And of course he catches up, slaps his hand hard on my driver side window (he either wanted to break it or thought it'd be open, asshole), and rides through the red light into the intersection all the way into the opposite direction side opposite from me.

Like wtf.

I finally got a two way dashcam last month because I'm tired of these cyclists and the dumbass drivers in the bay who can't drive worth shit.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #5442
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

I was able to get in my usual 17,Bear Creek to Boulder Creek, 9 thru Saratoga loop yesterday between storms about 2:30. Sun came out here and there. There were several places down to one lane with flagmen with crews trimming trees and doing cleanup, but overall roads are pretty good.
mgarcia707 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #5443
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Had to go around one once and crossed the double yellow on 9 uphill.

of course a chp coming the opposite way pulls me over. he liked my car and agreed the cyclists were an issue.

he let me go though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I was able to get in my usual 17,Bear Creek to Boulder Creek, 9 thru Saratoga loop yesterday between storms about 2:30. Sun came out here and there. There were several places down to one lane with flagmen with crews trimming trees and doing cleanup, but overall roads are pretty good.

LOVE doing this route. Bear Creek is a great road.

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #5444
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

I had a great time today in the Lotus.

Went 17 to Bear Creek, had a beer at Joe's Bar, and came down 9. My usual "get out of the house" drive. It was very interesting for this time of year. It was sunny all the way to Boulder Creek, then on the top of 9 it was so foggy i had to slow down to 60. It was foggy and rainy. Then half way down 9 tword Saratoga the sun was back out. I had to use my windshield wiper for the first time.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:52 AM   #5445
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Had to go around one once and crossed the double yellow on 9 uphill.

of course a chp coming the opposite way pulls me over. he liked my car and agreed the cyclists were an issue.

he let me go though

LOVE doing this route. Bear Creek is a great road.
Lol, I remember driving by while you two were chatting.
JeremyR (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #5446
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had another clean run Northbound on Redwood/Pinehurst/Grizzly Peak early yesterday. So there is one advantage to being old and getting up early.

Only caught three cyclists going the same direction. All were on Pinehurst and I was able to get by them quickly. One was barely moving uphill in one of the tight sections so even though I wasn't going too quickly I came up right on him coming around a corner.

And there was barely any visibility on Grizzly Peak again.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driggity For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (05-28-2019)