follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
fmsida

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help removing bird poop stain

Hey guys, I have a DGM BRZ and took it to Galveston beach in Texas this past Friday for the weekend. It definitely got a lot of looks, and the younger crowd was definitely attracted to the car. HOWEVER, there was a different type of attraction as well.... BIRD POOP!!! That's right, it got pooped on bad. Anyways, Saturday morning I noticed it had gotten pooped on, and I didn't think much of it because I was going to hand wash the car in ther afternoon once I got home. I washed the car via the 2BM, and took off all the poop and car was looking stunning.. But then I noticed that the hood had a stain left from the poop. Almost as if it burned through the clear coat or etched through it. Anyways, the stain is there and it been seen at different angles.

My question to the detailing gurus and/or those who are experienced, is How do I remove that damn stain from hell off my hood? I tried using a wool pad with M105, followed by polishing and then waxing, (I left no swirl marks or fine scratches). Should I try wet sanding? Becuase I dont want to!

Or is there a chemical I can use that may remove this?

Please help guys/gals.. any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Felix
fmsida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
brianc
OCD

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Polishing it should get the stain off. Not sure why it didn't. Did you have wax on the car? I find having wax on the car makes washing the bird droppings off much easier. I've never seen a bird dropping stain etch that deep into the clearcoat that you had to wetsand.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
fmsida

Prior to this incident, I had not waxed the car. I have only hand washed it. I used Meguiers 105 ultra cut for the fist polish with a wool pad, then used show car glaze #7, and finished it off with Hi-tech yellow wax #26. I did all this by hand. Not sure if I should use more pressure when doing the polishing.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had bird poop etch the top of my Mini Cooper, which had multiple coats of wax. I could not remove the etching with polish or polishing compound. Maybe a good detailer could figure it out.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
mikenap

Drives: Mazda3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Bird droppings are widely variable as far as what kind of damage they do and how quick they do it. It depends on the kind of bird, what its diet consists of, how long it stayed on the paint, the outside temp, etc.

I've definitely seen bird poop and water spots that have etched into the clear deep enough to require sanding. I've even seen it on brand new cars still on the lot.

It is very likely that you can polish it out by machine, since doing it by hand didn't do the trick. It's also less likely, but possible, that it might require light sanding.

My advice to anyone is get the bird poop off as soon as you see it. Don't wait til you do a normal wash, by then it might be too late. Keep a kit with a soft microfiber and some quality detail spray in your glove box or door. Spray the poop and let the quick detail spray soften it up before wiping it off with a towel. Even if you put some light swirls on the paint getting it off (and if you're careful, this shouldn't happen), that's preferable to a bigger, more noticeable etch from letting it sit until a wash.
mikenap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
fmsida

I am going to foam wash it, then do the 2bM, after that i will take a DA polisher and see if using a machine makes a difference. BUT I will now carry a quick detailer and a few microfiber towels. I really do hope this stain comes off.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
brianc
OCD

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Its a good idea to carry a bottle of car soap and water to do on the spot wash of bird poop. Don't let it sit on the car.

All the cars I've seen in the past had it's stains removed from light polishing. Never seen a car yet take so much damage from bird droppings that it needs to be wet sanded. Bird must have been eating Chili peppers all day. Or it was super hot outside and you left the bird dropping on for an entire week.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Celicadude

Drives: Celica gts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I suggest trying the least aggressive methods first then moving on to something more aggressive. With that said, do not wet sand unless you are 100% confident you know what you are doing. I don't know the extent of the damage, but usually a good claybar will get it out. If not then move up to lighter polishes and less aggressive pads. Wool pads and wet sanding should be a last resort. If you have a picture I might be able to tell you what you can use to get it out. Also there is a possibility it ate through the clear at which point no amount of detailing can fix that.
Celicadude is offline   Reply With Quote