follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Drives: '20 BRZ, '17 Silverado, '17 S1000R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
I saw the video of this road and I would love to try it. So many Big Rigs on the road that can't make the turns without crossing the center line. Could be deadly but I would try and drive balls out.
You'd love it, especially in such a great handling car as an FRS/BRZ!

I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance.

And yeah, big rigs, delivery trucks, and cruiser bikes ruin everybody's good time.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadoquad For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #30
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Quote:
Streets of Willow is not a twisty mountain road. I bought the FRS for twisty mountain roads. When TRD makes the supercharger then I'll plenty straight line speed for such a light car. The stock FRS chassis is so much better than Mustang and the Genesis coupe. The Mustang will always handle like a tractor.
Keep drinking the company koolaid
It is great you like your automatic FRS, but if you cannot accept that other cars are actually pretty good for spirited driving, you just look like a blinkered, inexperienced fanboy.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
detainu

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS Monogram W/O 6mt
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I think it's so funny the BRZ/FRS is even being compared to a mustang. The whole idea to build a lightweight, rear drive, sports coupe goes against everything Ford is about. And the fact they have to add in a Track Pack to even come close to an FRS/BRZ is hilarious!
detainu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to detainu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #32
10splaya22

Drives: 2009 370z 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by detainu View Post
I think it's so funny the BRZ/FRS is even being compared to a mustang. The whole idea to build a lightweight, rear drive, sports coupe goes against everything Ford is about. And the fact they have to add in a Track Pack to even come close to an FRS/BRZ is hilarious!
The even funnier part is that without the track pack the gt would still be way above the Brz/Frs. I've been on this site for 5 min and its ridiculous someone the things I'm reading already. The Mustang gt and Brz/Frs are two completely different cars with different design goals. Just accept the fact like the Mustang is a better car stock for stock. But also enjoy the feel the Brz/Frs gives you and how it feels in the turns. That's what these cars are about. They were never designed to win races in a straight line.

To Grateful Dave, you drive an automatic so what little credibility you had just went out the window.
10splaya22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 10splaya22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #33
detainu

But the GT was never the car even being compared to the FRS/BRZ. It was the V6 with Track Package added. Just to feel like you even need to justify a Mustang GT with a 420HP V8 to a FRS/BRZ with 200HP 4, that's the hilarious part. I think this post is like the guy in the video trying to say his 2008 350Z Convertible is far superior than the FRS. Who are you trying to convince, others or yourself, cause you don't have an FRS/BRZ?
The Following User Says Thank You to detainu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #34
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
...Just accept the fact like the Mustang is a better car stock for stock....
As someone with both in his garage, I can say that the Mustang is not necessarily the "better car stock for stock". They are different cars, with different missions. It's all about personal choice.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
shadoquad (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #35
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I think the OP's point was price. I totally agree that these are very different cars, but I had dealers offering me $26K for 2012 Mustang GT's recently. You can find 2013 for around $28K and perhaps lower.

I guess his point is that, price wise, the Mustang GT should be in the running vs the BRZ/FRS if your budget it $28K or so. As would the 3.8L Gencoupe Rspec.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #36
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Streets of Willow is not a twisty mountain road. I bought the FRS for twisty mountain roads. When TRD makes the supercharger then I'll plenty straight line speed for such a light car. The stock FRS chassis is so much better than Mustang and the Genesis coupe. The Mustang will always handle like a tractor.
There are some pretty good twists at Streets of Willow Springs. Look at the picture again, it shows how the cars performed in the turns and lateral G's. Mountain road or not, I suspect the results will be similar. It is what it is.

I am glad you like your car (I like the FR-S and BRZ too) but accept them for what they are.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
10splaya22

Drives: 2009 370z 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
As someone with both in his garage, I can say that the Mustang is not necessarily the "better car stock for stock". They are different cars, with different missions. It's all about personal choice.
Sorry I meant around a track stock for stock. But i agree, it all depends what you want in a car.
10splaya22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 10splaya22 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #38
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No clutch, No credibility, Please! I bought this for my daily driver and driving for pleasure. This is not my track car. I have had a previous badly broken left leg and I have been driving a manual for 30 years. I work 12 hour days on my feet at a hospital doing xray. So at the end of the day, my shifting get really fatigued and my shifts start to suck and I'm hating it. I'm over manual transmission. The FRS provides a 6 speed automatic that is based on the Lexus IS-F minus 2 gears, made by Aisin. The AT has a manual mode with match revving capabilities controlled by paddle shifters or from the stick shift. There's a sport mode, and snow mode. It has 34mpg highway capabilities vs manual 30mpg. This is one high tech AT. You might say it's not double clutch, oh well, it works great, who cares. I was really reluctant to go with AT but I went for it. I want to keep this car for a long time. I have the best of both worlds. Now that I have driven my FRS over thousand miles, did I make the right choice for me? Hell Yes.
If you are going to track this car, manual all the way.
If you want to "have it all" when driving on the city streets or on mountains roads, I say go with the technology and go with the automatic. For all you purists, it is all right to drive the AT. Don't knock the FRS AT unless you drive it. You might like it.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grateful Dave For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #39
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Is that why it skids .97 from factory? Grab a supercharger, the mustang owner will grab a decent set of coilovers/bushings and rape you in your sleep.

Not saying the FRS won't do well on a mountain road but you're smoking something expensive if you think the mustang won't sodomize it.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #40
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by detainu View Post
But the GT was never the car even being compared to the FRS/BRZ. It was the V6 with Track Package added. Just to feel like you even need to justify a Mustang GT with a 420HP V8 to a FRS/BRZ with 200HP 4, that's the hilarious part. I think this post is like the guy in the video trying to say his 2008 350Z Convertible is far superior than the FRS. Who are you trying to convince, others or yourself, cause you don't have an FRS/BRZ?
I could have sworn the thread title asked how this compared to a base mustang GT. Must be all the hallucinogenics.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SVTSHC For This Useful Post:
shadoquad (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #41
detainu

Must be
Old 06-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #42
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
And on the left bench we have... THA BOOOSSS..!! He made a great launch and got to the first corner with this comment. Took everybody by surprise by his quick move there..

Then LLLUXMMNN (!!) made his move

.. wooww.. that bench is just flying now...

How will this end.. no one knows.. But the tropy. Is this AWESOME!! ..2009 T-shirt..

Sorry, I just had to..

QFT!
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnapOv3st3r For This Useful Post: