follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #29
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So, that leaves Toyota, Honda, Suzuki, Volvo, Saab, and Fiat.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #30
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
So, that leaves Toyota, Honda, Suzuki, Volvo, Saab, and Fiat.
There are quite a few more other brands that you can add that I would consider like Lexus, Infinity, Acura etc.

Point being, Korean wouldn't be in my Top 5 choices. Yeah they might improve and establish some credibility but IMO, they are still too young of a car company for me to even consider buying.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #31
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Kia. Car run by hamsters.

lol

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #32
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
Gen Coupe being a RWD car, is there any benefit of having the reverse staggered setup? That is something I would like to know.

BTW, I only know Datsun 240Z. Did not know there was a Datsun GTR.....
It is likely used to reduce oversteer. Even the base model 2.0L turbo Gencoupe has staggered tires. Probably maybe sorta kinda for looks too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Datsun made other cars/trucks too. Like 260/280z/zx, 510 and so... but I think he was been sarcasm
Yes I are, Ichitaka, yes I are.

And Datsun was just the American versions of imported Nissans. Don't confuse people Ichitaka .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #33
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
Exactly. I had a 2002 Mazda Protege5 that I bought with 45k miles on it and traded in at about 60k because the transmission kept nuking itself. It kept blowing out the rear passenger tire, even though the alignment checked out fine. One of the rear calipers seized up on it. It kept blowing headlights every couple of months. It was when the transmission started leaking for a third time that I've had enough and traded it in for my Celica.

That sucks. I got the same car and I'm about to hit 125k with no issues.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #34
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
That sucks. I got the same car and I'm about to hit 125k with no issues.
I've heard bad things about the Mazda/Ford 626/Contour automatics. Any of that shared with the Proteges?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #35
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Dude, not even close! How can you call the name change of one Japanese auto maker to another as a comparison.

I'm not down with the Korean automobiles and especially the motorcycles because they are biters! How are they gonna take Yamaha R1 and make a Yamuda K1!!
not being down with korea for biting while japan has been doing it for decades seems kinda hypocritical
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #36
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
not being down with korea for biting while japan has been doing it for decades seems kinda hypocritical
Hmmm... Honda popularized (didn't invent, but showed the world a successful application) 4 valve per cylinder heads in the 1960s with their bikes. They also pioneered cam-profile switching in cars.

What have the Koreans pioneered, ever?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #37
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Hmmm... Honda popularized (didn't invent, but showed the world a successful application) 4 valve per cylinder heads in the 1960s with their bikes. They also pioneered cam-profile switching in cars.

Never-ending civil war.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #38
RRnold
2 wheel member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post

+1

Create your own path, don't follow someone elses!

The Honda story is the story of one man, Soichiro Honda, and his unparalleled achievement of bringing motor cycles to the masses. Soichiro Honda was a racer, a businessman, and a manufacturer. But most of all he was a dreamer. He dreamed of a better way of making piston rings, founded a small company, and began production. He dreamed of giving people everywhere an economical form of transportation, and began producing small motorcycles, including one built in 1949 called the D-Type Dream.

He also loved racing too. So his company built bigger and faster machines, two, four, five and six-cylinder race bikes and won the Isle of Man.

http://smokeriders.com/History/Honda...a_history.html
Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #39
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
just because honda did some things that were unique doesnt mean japanese companies werent just copying european companies. besides, popularized? whites popularized rock and blues in the 50s but lets not act like that means something. i could say that korea popularized the 10 year 100k warranty. most of the world would trade that for a couple extra cam lobes or valves anyday.

im not saying your anectode doesnt hold value in the conversation. you just have to think about how japan has had decades more experience but 20-30 years ago people were having these same conversations between american/euopean cars and the inferior japanese cars.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #40
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There was a Q&A session with John Krafcik President of Hyundai America and he said in the next generation (not this MMC) all RWD Genesis platforms would be getting AWD options. So all of the Subaru fanboys who are butthurt that the 216a is RWD and not AWD it looks like Hyundai MAY be getting ready to provide you with a larger more powerful AWD coupe a couple of years from now.

If you want more info go over to gencoupe.com and research...

http://www.gencoupe.com/711249-post10.html
http://www.gencoupe.com/general-disc...o-tuesday.html

Last edited by zigzagz94; 06-14-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: updated with link to gencoupe.com
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #41
ToyotaObsession

Drives: 2008 XRunner
Quote:
just because honda did some things that were unique doesnt mean japanese companies werent just copying european companies. besides, popularized? whites popularized rock and blues in the 50s but lets not act like that means something. i could say that korea popularized the 10 year 100k warranty. most of the world would trade that for a couple extra cam lobes or valves anyday.

im not saying your anectode doesnt hold value in the conversation. you just have to think about how japan has had decades more experience but 20-30 years ago people were having these same conversations between american/euopean cars and the inferior japanese cars.
Lean Manufacturing. All Toyota's idea.

What did Japan copy from the Europeans? I'm curious now.
“From the beginning, the concept was to put the driver back in the driver’s seat, and to eliminate computers as much as possible today. Powerful sports cars use a lot of computer technology so that anyone can drive and handle them. We decided not to go down that road.” - Tetsuya Tada
ToyotaObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #42
RRnold
2 wheel member

Quote:

Some things!? Japan revoluntionized the automobile market and are the epitome of quality and precision. Honda introduced the small motorcycle to the US in the 50-60's and then during the gas crisis of the 70's. That isn't to say that is when Japan started building good cars b/c it started after WWII, same with Europe.

Look up Japan's post war economic miracle! I highly recommend