follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #71
MikeNSX2

Drives: Ice Silver 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2112 View Post
I'd be up Tire Rack's ass for selling these sensors.
I'm going to give them a call later this morning.

I just checked, and I have purchased 17 sets of wheels from Tirerack over the years, so hopefully they will make this right.
MikeNSX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:06 PM   #72
MikeNSX2

Tirerack did not come through for me.

They basically said that their hardware team verified that the sensors they installed in my wheels are correct for a 2022 BRZ. They then recommended I take it to one of their certified installers (like Firestone) to have them scan and register them to my car.

Funny thing, I guess they do not trust Discount Tire to do this properly, even though Discount Tire bought Tirerack at the beginning of this year. Discount Tire does $4.8 BILLION of revenue per year vs Tirerack's $500 Million, so Discount Tire basically sells 10 times as many wheels/ tires/ sensors than Tirerack.

One would think Discount Tire would know how to do this, since they do it every day.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:55 PM   #73
Up4speed

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNSX2 View Post
Tirerack did not come through for me.

They basically said that their hardware team verified that the sensors they installed in my wheels are correct for a 2022 BRZ. They then recommended I take it to one of their certified installers (like Firestone) to have them scan and register them to my car.

Funny thing, I guess they do not trust Discount Tire to do this properly, even though Discount Tire bought Tirerack at the beginning of this year. Discount Tire does $4.8 BILLION of revenue per year vs Tirerack's $500 Million, so Discount Tire basically sells 10 times as many wheels/ tires/ sensors than Tirerack.

One would think Discount Tire would know how to do this, since they do it every day.
So will they do something for you if you take it to one on THEIR installers, and they can't do it either?
Up4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:03 PM   #74
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
They basically said that their hardware team verified that the sensors they installed in my wheels are correct for a 2022 BRZ.
Well, as others have already confirmed, these sensors do indeed work on 2022 BRZ's if set up correctly. I'm sorry for your troubles, but I don't see anything obviously bad that Tire Rack did here.

Quote:
You expect every technician at thousands of Discount Tire locations to know exactly how to set up TPMS sensors on every single car out there, no matter how new the car is? Do you expect them to know the exact manufacturer's / dealer's procedure to do that, or do you expect them to just know how to use professional grade off-the-shelf tools? What if those tools that they use haven't been updated yet to support the ECUs in the new cars?
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:10 PM   #75
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Grahams View Post
I was just able to activate, learn, and program new TPMS sensors using the Autel TS501.
Has anyone confirmed whether cheaper Autel models work too?
Autel TS408 is $160 on Amazon, TS501 is $225.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #76
Panda Grahams

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Has anyone confirmed whether cheaper Autel models work too?
Autel TS408 is $160 on Amazon, TS501 is $225.
I don't think anything below a 5xx model will work with our cars. Jumping to the 5xx series grants OBII relearn, which our cars require.
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Panda Grahams For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 04:00 PM   #77
timurrrr

Speaking of TPMS sensors cross-compatibility, I just installed those T6 sensors from Tire Rack and tried to register them into my '17 BRZ. I'm still waiting for my '22, but was due for a tire change, so decided to save some money on changing the sensors in the future.

The shop that was working on it said the Autel didn't allow using the new sensors with the 2017 BRZ profile, alerting that the new sensors are incompatible.
I asked them to try the 2017 Camry profile instead. The tool said success, but the TPMS light stayed on even after I drove 10+ miles.

I guess my '17 car has a "you still don't have a '22 car, loser" light now.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #78
lewesyru

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I will post my reply to @MikeNSX2 in another thread again here since it's better to put all the TPMS discussions together.

-----------

What model of the sensor do you have on your wheels? Are they Tire Rack T5 or T6, or other brands?

I think the tire shop had encountered a similar issue as I had in this post. The gen1 & gen2 sensors are totally different and not interchangeable, and gen2 is actually a Toyota sensor. They won't be detected under Subaru setting.

I guess you have gen1 sensors installed. That's why the tire shop couldn't detect anything in the gen2 setting, no matter what brands / how expensive the tools they were using...

Even if they somehow got the sensor IDs, I think your car will not communicate with them. Panda Grahams has Tire Rack T5 which is gen1 sensors installed, and the IDs were written into the ECU but the tire pressure never shows up in the dash, and eventually the freaking light lit up...

So, I think the best solution for now, is to order some Tire Rack T6 for your gen2 car. OEM is way too costly and on backorder for most of the dealerships.
lewesyru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #79
MikeNSX2

Quote:
Well, as others have already confirmed, these sensors do indeed work on 2022 BRZ's if set up correctly. I'm sorry for your troubles, but I don't see anything obviously bad that Tire Rack did here.

You expect every technician at thousands of Discount Tire locations to know exactly how to set up TPMS sensors on every single car out there, no matter how new the car is? Do you expect them to know the exact manufacturer's / dealer's procedure to do that, or do you expect them to just know how to use professional grade off-the-shelf tools? What if those tools that they use haven't been updated yet to support the ECUs in the new cars?
Well... the person at Discount Tire that checked my sensors was the manager of that store. He told me he was the one person at their location who does the TPMS resets and pairing. He told me he does this at least 3 to 4 times a week.

So...since he does this 100-150 times a year, I do believe he knows what the hell he is doing.

He checked before coming to my car to see if the 2022 BRZ was input into his scanner. It was not.

So, he went back into the store to have his scanner updated to read a 2022 BRZ. When he did, and came back to my car with the 2022 BRZ specs, and he tried to read the sensors. It read "Incorrect Tire Pressure Monitor". He told me that he thinks that Tirerack installed the incorrect TPMS sensors into my wheels.

At this point, I am wondering if Tirerack installed T-5 sensors into my new wheels instead of the correct T-6 sensors.

I will be breaking down my new wheels early next week to see if Tirerack screwed up and installed T-5 sensors. I'm thinking that's they did.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:37 PM   #80
MikeNSX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewesyru View Post
I will post my reply to @MikeNSX2 in another thread again here since it's better to put all the TPMS discussions together.

-----------

What model of the sensor do you have on your wheels? Are they Tire Rack T5 or T6, or other brands?

I think the tire shop had encountered a similar issue as I had in this post. The gen1 & gen2 sensors are totally different and not interchangeable, and gen2 is actually a Toyota sensor. They won't be detected under Subaru setting.

I guess you have gen1 sensors installed. That's why the tire shop couldn't detect anything in the gen2 setting, no matter what brands / how expensive the tools they were using...

Even if they somehow got the sensor IDs, I think your car will not communicate with them. Panda Grahams has Tire Rack T5 which is gen1 sensors installed, and the IDs were written into the ECU but the tire pressure never shows up in the dash, and eventually the freaking light lit up...

So, I think the best solution for now, is to order some Tire Rack T6 for your gen2 car. OEM is way too costly and on backorder for most of the dealerships.
I think you are right.

I believe that Tirerack might have incorrectly installed T-5 sensors into my new wheels, instead of the T-6 sensors they that said they did.

I am taking my wheels to have them broken down next week to see if Tirerack installed T-5 or T-6 sensors.

If they incorrectly installed T-5 sensors, they owe me new sensors, plus the labor cost to put them in.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:34 PM   #81
timurrrr

Quote:
He checked before coming to my car to see if the 2022 BRZ was input into his scanner. It was not.

So, he went back into the store to have his scanner updated to read a 2022 BRZ. When he did, and came back to my car with the 2022 BRZ specs, and he tried to read the sensors. It read "Incorrect Tire Pressure Monitor".
Another possibility: the company that made that updated firmware didn't add the support for 2022 BRZ correctly. Or only added support for OEM 2022 BRZ sensors, but not T6.

Have they tried the Camry trick?
Old 02-10-2022, 06:44 PM   #82
MikeNSX2

Quote:
Another possibility: the company that made that updated firmware didn't add the support for 2022 BRZ correctly. Or only added support for OEM 2022 BRZ sensors, but not T6.

Have they tried the Camry trick?

Yes... I told them to do the Camry trick at Discount Tire while I was there. It didn't work either.

Still think Tirerack installed the wrong sensors into my new wheels, especially since Discount Tire told me it read "Incorrect Tire Pressure Monitor" on their scanner when they scanned them.

There is really no other explanation, in my opinion.

Could be wrong, and often am.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNSX2 For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 06:47 PM   #83
timurrrr

Quote:
Yes... I told them to do the Camry trick at Discount Tire while I was there. It didn't work either.
Oh, gotcha.

Quote:
Still think Tirerack installed the wrong sensors into my new wheels, especially since Discount Tire told me it read "Incorrect Tire Pressure Monitor" on their scanner when they scanned them.
If you give them another chance, ask them to try the 2017 BRZ profile. If the sensors read fine, then they are most likely T5 indeed.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:03 PM   #84
MikeNSX2

Quote:
Oh, gotcha.

If you give them another chance, ask them to try the 2017 BRZ profile. If the sensors read fine, then they are most likely T5 indeed.
A dealer buddy told me I should take off my wheels and have Discount Tire break them down to look at the sensors and take some pictures. I am going to do this early next week.

If Tirerack installed T-5's instead of T-6's, (which they may have mistakenly done), I will have a big problem with Tirerack. They should give me new correct sensors as well as paying me to have them installed in my Enkei wheels.

In any instance, Subaru sucks for having it so damn difficult to pair TPMS sensors to our cars. On my Focus ST, all I had to do was mount the new wheels/ tires / sensors on the car, and the car figured out everything for you. No issues at all.

I have never owned a Subaru, and if this is what I have to go through with them in the future, I never will buy a Subaru again.

This is total BS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNSX2 For This Useful Post:
AK2112 (02-10-2022), timurrrr (02-10-2022)