follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2023, 02:25 AM   #1
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So is my car just paperweight now?

I had two maps that I would have to switch back and forth once every 2 years for emission testing. To my understanding, Ecutek's software has been updated to prevent the flashing of these cars now, is that correct? I already have the two tunes and no longer have my laptop that I used to tune so that means I'll need to download the latest version, but if Ecutek's new update prevents the flashing of these maps, does that mean my car is basically paperweight now that I can't flash my tune?

What would my best options be? My car depended on the disabling of a certain CEL to pass emissions.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 03:56 AM   #2
AussieBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
I had two maps that I would have to switch back and forth once every 2 years for emission testing. To my understanding, Ecutek's software has been updated to prevent the flashing of these cars now, is that correct? I already have the two tunes and no longer have my laptop that I used to tune so that means I'll need to download the latest version, but if Ecutek's new update prevents the flashing of these maps, does that mean my car is basically paperweight now that I can't flash my tune?

What would my best options be? My car depended on the disabling of a certain CEL to pass emissions.

No your good as gold at present.

Ecutek updates just stop you creating new tunes on USA ROMs that disable emmissions systems like rear O2 or evap flex kits or evap purge boost control or disabling emmissions codes.

However if you already have working tunes you can still flash those no problem at this time.

So all ok for you till you need to update/ change the current tunes.

However I know some workarounds if you get stuck
AussieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AussieBRZ For This Useful Post:
kev0 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 06:19 AM   #3
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Just to gather a bit more information:

Obviously you originally flashed the tunes to the ECU yourself, but did you create the tunes also, or did you hire that job out? If you hired it out, have the tunes been locked by your tuner?

If the tunes aren't locked, (and someone please correct me if I am wrong here) couldn't anybody with an older version of the ECUTEK software be able to open and modify them for you since you can no longer do so yourself?
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
kev0 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 11:24 AM   #4
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Quote:

This is not a vendor recommended best practice, but i run my tuning machine inside a VM and when i need a new laptop I just move the VM. I have been doing this for years and the only issue I ever had was from hardware failure and my tuner was able to recover it. All the tunes and all the software are in the vm so when moved you still have it.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 12:37 PM   #5
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
This is not a vendor recommended best practice, but i run my tuning machine inside a VM and when i need a new laptop I just move the VM. I have been doing this for years and the only issue I ever had was from hardware failure and my tuner was able to recover it. All the tunes and all the software are in the vm so when moved you still have it.

That's an excellent tactic to combat what ECUTEK and the EPA is trying to pull. Are you running your virtual machine under Window$, Mac or Linux?
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:34 PM   #6
kev0

Drives: '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Just to gather a bit more information:

Obviously you originally flashed the tunes to the ECU yourself, but did you create the tunes also, or did you hire that job out? If you hired it out, have the tunes been locked by your tuner?

If the tunes aren't locked, (and someone please correct me if I am wrong here) couldn't anybody with an older version of the ECUTEK software be able to open and modify them for you since you can no longer do so yourself?
Yeah I had CSG do my tunes, so pretty sure it's locked. As long as I'm still able to flash the tune files I have, then my car would no longer be paperweight and i'm happy!
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kev0 For This Useful Post:
FR-S2GT86 (08-21-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 07:38 PM   #7
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
That's an excellent tactic to combat what ECUTEK and the EPA is trying to pull. Are you running your virtual machine under Window$, Mac or Linux?

I currently have it inside a KVM, but i'm going to move it to a windows laptop and I guess use virtual box. The jist of it is as long as the usb controller is passed into the guest, ecutek is non the wiser. Same vm has lived on 3 different latops, and im not even sure its been windows updated ever
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
FR-S2GT86 (08-21-2023), Wally86 (08-22-2023), whataboutbob (08-20-2023)