follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
hansthegerman

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Really stupid question regarding oil

Hi all, I've always done my own oil changes and I've never really had a problem, but for some reason I'm having a hell of a time figuring out this dip stick. Heres the story:

I changed my oil, put royal purple into it and I wound up putting a little bit more then I took out, about a quarter quart or so. I checked the dip stick and it was a little bit higher but I didn't think it was too big of a deal. So I drove for a bit until my dad noticed an oil spot on the driveway, and sure enough, oil on the oil pan. I take some oil out to get it to the proper level but heres where I'm having a problem. I pulled enough out so that the dip stick shows nothing, i get a little in until I see a little on the bottom of the dip stick, I add a little bit more (Literally 3-4 tablespoons worth), and now the oil is showing all over the side of the dipstick above the max fill dot. Am I reading this thing wrong? Should I not be concerned about oil on the side of the dipstick and only completely across it? Heres what I'm talking about: Sorry for the low quality pic, It was sunny and I couldn't see exactly what I was taking a picture of. But you can see the oil above the max fill line but it's only on one side of the dip stick.

I've also just saw the thread about this crush washer. I'm assuming this is likely the cause of my oil leaking. I have never heard or used a crush washer...

But can someone explain to me what I'm looking for on this dip stick? The difference between this in the picture and the oil barely touching the bottom of the dip stick is about 4 tablespoons of oil... I'm confused as to whether I'm good on oil here or too much.
hansthegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
pull out stick, clean it, put it back, remove again and take reading.

The holes are to see if there is oil at that level. So if you see oil in the top hole after the above method then it is probably over filled.

And the difference between the 2 holes is not 4 tablespoons
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
hansthegerman

Gotcha. So I'm looking in the hole, I was thinking the holes were a reference, kinda like lines on all the other dipsticks I've used. What should be the difference between the bottom and the top hole? I kind of thought that oil may be getting into the tube with the dipstick, thus smearing it along the sides of the dipstick. Every car I've ever changed the oil on had a line across the dip stick, add oil and max line. Oil made a clear line across the dip stick and as long as that line was in the middle you were good, I've never seen oil all over the side of a dipstick like here.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
hansthegerman

So I just checked. Just to make sure. I found oil inside the bottom hole but not the top. Still had oil down the entire side of the dip stick but I take it that doesnt matter?
Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
boxer 2.5

Drives: 2007 Impreza, 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Probably oil from the dipstick tube when you put it back in...
boxer 2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
hansthegerman

That's what I was thinking. I figure better ask and be sure then find out blowing the motor driving down the highway after having the crank shaft beat the oil to a pulp.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The difference between the low and high hole on the stick should be 1 quart. Generally cars dipsticks have either 2 holes or some other designation for 1 quart.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
The difference between the two holes is 1 US quart, or 1 Liter (roughly the same for this purpose). When the oil is below the bottom hole, add a quart and re-check.

Now you're also running into a peculiarity of Subaru engiens. The boxer engine has all the oil-retention issues of a V engine, but with less of the gravity assist in getting the oil back down to the sump. It takes a couple minutes to get the oil from the heads to the pan.

I check my oil at every fill-up. When I do, I pump the gas first and pay, THEN check the oil. If I check it while I pump or before, it will always read low because the oil is still in the heads.

Additionally, when adding oil, you're feeding it into one of the heads, not the crankcase, so it has to make its way down into the pan, and it's cold oil so it'll flow slower. That would account for the sudden increase in level for just a small addition.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
hansthegerman (09-30-2013), Suberman (10-08-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
hansthegerman

^^ Got it. Thanks. That answers all my questions. Every engine I've ever had has been up right. I was wondering wtf was going on with the dipstick. Appreciate the help with this guys.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Use a fresh crush washer every time the drain plug is pulled. You can inspect and re-use a crush washer most of the time but it is not cost effective to do so. Always fit new one.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote