follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 12-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #533
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
^^^ I think most people are poking fun because he thought his 10 series would be worth more at the dealership, and also the fact it kinda seems like OP not even in the market for that Lexus but just wanted to check it out. But maybe he is what do I know
illest86 (12-08-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #534
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMBAM_6 View Post
^^^ I think most people are poking fun because he thought his 10 series would be worth more at the dealership, and also the fact it kinda seems like OP not even in the market for that Lexus but just wanted to check it out. But maybe he is what do I know
I didn't get the sense that he was just there for a joyride, but that he had at least enough interest in the car to listen to the numbers. Why the hell would anybody stick around after a test drive just to hear a salesman talk?

As for the trade-in value, yes, that sounds about right, and he does seem to have a higher opinion of his car than reality would suggest. But on the other hand, that interest rate that was quoted was ridiculous. I would have laughed at the guy also.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #535
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
And I for one don't really understand why. He went into a dealership to test drive a car he had some interest in buying and to find out what kind of deal he could get. The deal wasn't good enough, so he walked. That happens every day.

These people saying he shouldn't have visited the dealer if he wasn't 100% ready to buy aren't making any sense. How is he supposed to know if he wants the car if he doesn't test drive it? How is he supposed to know what kind of deal he can get if he doesn't ask? How is he supposed to know which car he wants to buy if he doesn't test drive and ask about all that he's interested in? If there are five cars he's interested in, is he expected to buy all five of them or not bother the salesmen? I suppose the people criticizing him must have just bought the first car they test drove and took the first deal offered to them without shopping around.

A good salesman isn't going to mind taking the time to talk with this guy and let him get to know the car. They can't know who is ready to pull the trigger and who isn't, so they're going to cast the net wide and accept that most of the people who walk onto the lot are not going to buy. But if OP does decide to buy, that salesman has already started a relationship, and it will be worth that hour if OP comes back later and wants to negotiate.
The OP stated that he was only looking and had no intention of buying. He probably can't even afford the car.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #536
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
The OP stated that he was only looking and had no intention of buying.
And? How does he know if he wants to buy the car if he doesn't go drive it?

Maybe the rest of you order your cars off the internet based on hype and what your friends will think of them without ever actually test driving them first. Personally, I shop around before buying something that costs as much as a car. That means sometimes I'll be walking into a dealership with no intention of buying that day.

OP had to have had some interest in the car, or he wouldn't have wasted his time listening to the pitch.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #537
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:

Maybe the rest of you order your cars off the internet based on hype and what your friends will think of them without ever actually test driving them first. Personally, I shop around before buying something that costs as much as a car. That means sometimes I'll be walking into a dealership with no intention of buying that day.

OP had to have had some interest in the car, or he wouldn't have wasted his time listening to the pitch.
He had already driven the car before the sales pitch. He knew he wasn't going to buy the car before the sales pitch. He only hung around afterwards for shits and giggles, and then he was surprised that the dealer tried to lowball him on his trade. I'm all for test drives, but why stick around and go through the whole pitch process if you aren't even in the market for a new car? Sounds like OP was bored that day.

Plus, the OP didn't even bother to write any kind of review, or post any pictures.This thread was pretty much pointless.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
8R6 (12-08-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #538
youcantseeme24

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why stoke a guy from his time when he could be helping others. There on commission you ass hole. I used to hate little punks like you with no money. We call them strokers. Jsimon7777 said it best.
youcantseeme24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to youcantseeme24 For This Useful Post:
8R6 (12-08-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #539
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Nah...he drives a 10 series. Think about that for a minute.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #540
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Acv is on the money
sorry u don't like it, our platform has performed below market on value retention
Reality sux
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #541
艾洛

Drives: Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
With all the debate on whether he was there to potentially buy it, He clearly states in his post that "It was stickered at $53.5k so they wanted to see if I wanted to trade in my 10 series so I said why not. (I was only looking and not trying to buy)."

So basically, he finished taking a look at it, then realized hey, why not take a test drive while I'm here?

After the test drive the salesperson asks whether or not he would like to trade in his 10-series (under the assumption OP is interested)

OP decides he wants to see what the Lexus dealership will value his 10 series at and said "why not."

There's no hurt in seeing how well a dealership prices your 10 series compared to others if you're serious about trading it in but there seems to be a lot of time wasting since he was simply looking...
Old 12-08-2014, 03:21 AM   #542
djmm

Drives: toyota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If it was a hooker you saw, you would've needed to pay $500 dude.
djmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #543
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
How do you know he wasn't looking to buy?
Because he said that he wasn't.

Anyhow, who knows, sometimes in those moments where a person says, "let's see where this goes" just for shits and giggles, if the numbers fell together, he might have gone for it. I've been there. I was leasing a Pontiac Grand Am GT and went to an Acura dealership to test drive the RSX and they ran some numbers and offered to pay half of my remaining lease to get me into the car and sure enough, I upgraded from the Grand Am to the RSX. Sometimes it works out and everyone is happy.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #544
blown

Drives: ft86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
why waste their time? I would of told them upfront.
blown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blown For This Useful Post:
illest86 (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #545
dreamingat30fps

Drives: 14 FRS Asphalt Monogram
You do not go into a dealer to look at a car if you are not somewhat at least vaguely interested in said car. It's up to the sales person to close that deal and MAKE you want to buy. Unfortunately I would say the majority of the car dealer sales people don't have the skills to do that.
dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamingat30fps For This Useful Post:
kh060 (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #546
kh060

Drives: FR-s Ignition
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
Nah...he drives a 10 series. Think about that for a minute.
I didn't know of any FR-S in 2013 that had the BRZ climate control switches instead of turn dials, and LED DRL. I didn't know that the regular FR-S comes in start button push in 2012-2013. I didn't like the smiley BRZ front as much as the FR-S front. Wish someone could have told me that I could have gotten a regular FR-S in 2012-2013 that had all of that and wasn't a BRZ. Thanks for your input. and Oh you should have told me that I could get that cool silver paint job ported over to a regular red FR-S without having to pay for a 10 series, that would have been nice, thanks a lot.

Last edited by kh060; 12-09-2014 at 01:02 PM.
kh060 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
:popcorn:, fugly, lexus, lexus is-f, rc-f, rcf, tagme, v-8, vossen