follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Zach3794

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Raven, Manual
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TB Performance Bracing Review

*As a side note I’ll be adding photos to this thread over the next few days.

To start this review off, I have not previously been much of a believer in chassis bracing. My goal with the car from the beginning, however, has been to enhance what it is: a precision machine to take into the mountains and enjoy through it’s handling ability, not straight line speed (since we all know it has very little). I do not, and will not be collecting any scientific data to show whether my conclusion about these braces can be scientifically proven. After all, I’m just a driver looking to get more out of my FR-S, just like most of you.

So, what’s the deal with these braces; what are they made of and what are included in the full set? From what I understand, these braces are all made from 1040 carbon steel. I’ve spoken with the owner (he is local to me) and this allows the braces to be extremely rigid, while not weighing much more than aluminum. The particular stock of 1040 used depends on the brace, but all are tubular (just like the majority of aftermarket chassis bracing out for this car right now).

The first two braces cover the engine compartment. A very simple, yet effective, strut tower bar. No hinges. I like. Next, replacements for the factory V bars or strut tower to firewall braces. These are interesting as the braces have incorporated an adjuster in the middle to preload the chassis with tension. (They do work, when tightening you can actually hear the chassis start to creak a bit, I backed off at that point). This design is very similar to Cusco’s, but these braces were released first. Something I really appreciate about this design is how the two braces integrate at the strut tower (which I’ll include with pictures in a day or two), and the fact that the bracing in the engine compartment is now triangulated.

Next we have TB Performance’s mid chassis brace. Though I wouldn’t agree that it’s particularly in the middle of the chassis (maybe weight distribution wise), I can’t argue that I didn’t feel a difference. This brace connects at four points underneath the car which appear to be around the front swaybar mounts. There’s not much to comment on design here, it’s very simple. The brace does seem to hang low, and I do not think it can be used with the stock engine underpanel (the metal one). Putting my car up on a lift today, I have taken note that the brace has clearly scraped many times (I’m lowered 1.5” all around), most likely on a very specific back road near me with very large speed bumps. Now I’ve had aluminum under body bracing on my last car, and I have also bottomed out with those. Let’s just say they didn’t take it nearly as well as this brace did…

The last brace in the current line up from TB is what they call a rear tie brace. And really, the construction of this brace doesn’t matter for the purpose it’s serving. It could be aluminum on this end and do the same thing, because what it’s doing is preventing bushing deflection. Think whiteline subframe spacers, except on steroids. Actually, I have the whiteline subframe spacers, and I think this brace improves upon them even more. I would rate this as one step below having completely solid subframe bushings (think Stance or anything else billet aluminum), without the unnecessary NVH to go along with it.

All of these braces are very easy to install provided you have basic hand tools and jacks. Fit is very good on these braces, I had no issues with any of them. The only thing that isn’t 10/10 stars in my book is the finish, which is truck bed liner. And really, who gives a damn. If I’m buying bracing, it’s for performance, not to go pop my hood at the car show. If that’s what I wanted, I’d be getting all the uber JDM fancy bright colored braces with the hinged strut tower brace because it’s prettier, blah blah blah.

Now onto my impressions of how the car actually performs with and without the braces. Please note that I’ve had the braces on for well over a month now, and had the rear tie and mid chassis installed longer than that. Since I had the rear and mid brace installed first, I’ll give impressions of those. On the same road home from Temecula, which is very windy and fun to drive with no traffic, I could notice a subtle, but immediate difference. Turn in seems to be sharper, more precise. Whereas I previously thought the Whiteline subframe spacers made the rear end much more predictable, it had now improved even more. The most noticeable change was the fact that the threshold of grip and slip seemed to have been widened. Many people notice this when they change tires, that one or the other seems to have a more or less predictable transition. I could equate these braces to an upgrade from stock tires to Michelin PSS. The final braces to be installed (the front 2 first described) clearly made the largest difference. Front end grip has clearly been improved, but what my girlfriend and I both notice and have commented on (and you can’t deny the girlfriend’s side commentary), is that the front braces have decreased the amount of NVH. Small bumps and dips are much less noticeable, and the ride is more pleasant when cruising around town. Take it to the back roads and the car is much more predictable at the limit, with sharper handling and a much more unified feeling all together.

If you didn’t care to read the entire review, and I don’t blame you, what I want you to gather from my review is that these braces get the job done, no bullshit, no gimmicks. If you want something to bling up your ride, these aren’t for you. If you want something that works, at a price most likely less than the rest of the competition, that will last (these braces are guaranteed against failure and will be replaced if they do, which I would highly doubt), then absolutely buy these. You won’t regret it.

As a final statement, I just want to say that this review is constructed entirely of my own opinion. I have mine, you have yours. I am not claiming that my experience of these braces providing positive impact on the car to be absolute scientific fact, it is merely what I believe to be true, so take that as you will.
Zach3794 is offline   Reply With Quote