follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help me understand the BRZ/FRS engine!

Have had a BRZ for 2 weeks and want to have a better understanding of this engine:

Other than the two injection systems and the boxer design, how is this engine new and different??

Also, I don't understand what the Cams do and why they keep throwing the CEL...can someone explain??
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Besides the duel injection, and high compression, and low center of gravity, there is nothing really new and advanced about this engine.

Cams have lobes on them, which are driven by a chain or belt (chain in this engine) connected to the crankshaft. The lobes push down onto the intake and exhaust valves which allows air and fuel in, and exhaust out. Our particular cams have variable timing. Meaning, the computer can adjust the timing on when they valves are opened for performance and efficiency reasons. They are controlled by oil pressure. Some cars have an oil pressure issue, or the varriable system gets stuck causeing the engine to run poorly and thus throwing a CEL. Again, this is just as simple as I can explain it. But here is a video of cams working if that helps...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2nP7I315M"]Variable CAM Timing - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to Opposed For This Useful Post:
ToxicSneakers (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Well the technologies used in the engine parts allow it to handle more power than a run of the mill motor. You should look at the crawford tear down.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
BRZnut

Good stuff..thanks. Since the oil control CAM system in the BRZ/FRS is nothing new, wonder why there are having issue with it??
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Good stuff..thanks. Since the oil control CAM system in the BRZ/FRS is nothing new, wonder why there are having issue with it??
I think most of these issues were before the new ecu reflash/computer problem. Dealers were just replacing whatever was related to the CEL codes at that time..someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
I think most of these issues were before the new ecu reflash/computer problem. Dealers were just replacing whatever was related to the CEL codes at that time..someone correct me if I'm wrong.
A TSB came out to replace cam gears and associated parts...it was quickly pulled for many reasons. One of those reasons was probably because dealers were popping engines due to improper installation.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
BRZnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
no you are right..thats how its played out so far. But I've read that some think the ECU upgrade is just an attempt to cover over some sort of mechanical problem of the Cam system. Wonder what the real problem is and why.

Also wonder if the oil cam system could be change to the third type shown in the video above that is all electric if the ECU change does not fix the issue.