follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
FutureFT86

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S Purchased! Now Dealer Extra options...worth it?

Hi guys,

I just purchased myself an FR-S! Got my VIN and everything, but then at the financing department they hit me with the extra options and before I get any I would like to get you opinions on them and if you every found any of them useful...

1. Extended Warranty (includes stuff like including oil filters, rental assistance, tire replacement, etc.) - 4yrs $1129, 5yrs $1459

2. Replacement insurance - 4 yrs $1550, 5yrs $1800, 6yrs $1950, 7yrs $2240

3. Clear coat and interior "protection" - Not sure how much these cost

4. Auto Saver System (electronic rust prevention) - $549

The dealer was stressing heavily on the extra warranty since it includes replacement of faulty sensors and this being an entirely new platform and all. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
FutureFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
These are usually pure profit for the dealerships, and it's why they offer them at the very end of the transaction after you've agreed to a price and are committed to buying. Your mentality changes after that point, and are less focused on getting a good price, and more on when you can get your car (think about grocery stores putting stuff right before the checkout counter for some extra profit). This is when they will tend to use scare tactics to sell you on these profit heavy items.

#3 and #4 are completely useless. I'm not sure what they are offering for #2, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Extended warranty is a tricky one, what are the terms - usually you have to pay $100 or something per claim as a 'deductible' sort of cost. Personally, I wouldn't do it because the likelyhood of something major needing to be repaired on those extra 4 years is slim, and if there is a problem it's hard to say that it would cost that much to repair in the first place. It's a bit of a gamble either way but keep in mind their accountants are not dumb, it is priced well above the average cost to the dealer/brand for the actual pay-outs. They're in it to make money, not mistakes.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
FutureFT86 (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
No

No

No

No

Old 05-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
kwood9000

Drives: Limited WRB AT6 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
None sound like a good deal. If you wanted an extended warranty I believe other companies offer those and you usually sign up before a certain date or mileage driven.
kwood9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwood9000 For This Useful Post:
FutureFT86 (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
moniz

Drives: 2010 Mazda5 GT,2012 Honda Fit Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
No

No

No

No

^^^^^^

What he said!

That electronic rustproofing really gets me. Never been proven to ever work in independent controlled tests, and the dealer when we bought our Mazda swore by it. Asked for independent proof and just kept spouting anecdotal evidence, which I had to remind isn't scientific. He didn't like very much after closing the deal/financing.

The only method actually proven to work is the oil spray method. Messy application, yes, but proven scientifically effective. A couple good car washes after the application and it's no problem, and your car is actually better protected against corrosion.

Then again, with the quality of today's galvanized automotive steel, you really only need to consider rust proofing if you plan to keep your car longer than 10 years, which most people do not(I do though).
moniz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moniz For This Useful Post:
FutureFT86 (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Electronic rustproofing has been tested and works.... up to 6 inches around the unit lol. Personaly, i took the the 7 year replacement insurance... negociated @ 1500$... they insure the price you paid, not the car... So if something bad happens, I get around 33k + inflation to spend on any car + I get a refund of the balance of the insurance I didn't use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Future For This Useful Post:
FutureFT86 (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moniz View Post
^^^^^^

What he said!

That electronic rustproofing really gets me. Never been proven to ever work in independent controlled tests, and the dealer when we bought our Mazda swore by it. Asked for independent proof and just kept spouting anecdotal evidence, which I had to remind isn't scientific. He didn't like very much after closing the deal/financing.

The only method actually proven to work is the oil spray method. Messy application, yes, but proven scientifically effective. A couple good car washes after the application and it's no problem, and your car is actually better protected against corrosion.

Then again, with the quality of today's galvanized automotive steel, you really only need to consider rust proofing if you plan to keep your car longer than 10 years, which most people do not(I do though).
Electronic rust proofing absolutely words... on a boat. We use it in the Navy. The theory is that it creates a low level electronic field in the water, the field then becomes a sacrificial anode, giving up electrons much easier then the steel and thus preventing the steel from oxidizing. It also repels a lot of the sea life that would otherwise attach itself to the haul and sea water intakes.

On a car, you're not going to electrify the air around the car so I can't really see it working.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
FutureFT86 (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
moniz

Drives: 2010 Mazda5 GT,2012 Honda Fit Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Electronic rust proofing absolutely words... on a boat. We use it in the Navy. The theory is that it creates a low level electronic field in the water, the field then becomes a sacrificial anode, giving up electrons much easier then the steel and thus preventing the steel from oxidizing. It also repels a lot of the sea life that would otherwise attach itself to the haul and sea water intakes.

On a car, you're not going to electrify the air around the car so I can't really see it working.
Sorry, you're right. should have been more specific. It is used and effective in marine environments, but has never been proven effective with cars.
moniz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moniz For This Useful Post:
FutureFT86 (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Deny all of those. That's like getting sold snake oil. Its all BS. Tell them you're not paying for anything extra. You can always extend your warranty with Toyota later on. If they refuse to sell it without that crap walk away.
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NYC BRZ For This Useful Post:
FutureFT86 (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
That electronic rustproofing! My question is what if it works the opposite of the way it is supposed too for some unforseen reason?
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smbrm For This Useful Post:
FutureFT86 (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
FutureFT86

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S
Thanks for the info guys, you have all been very informative!

You are correct though, once the car was mine on paper and then they hit you with all these extra options its kinds of overwhelming and I wanted to cave into alot of them to protect my car! This why I told them ill sit on it untill my car actually arrives and then ill make my decision.
FutureFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote