follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
Bluesman62

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
New TPMS Sensors - Car Not Reading Them

I know there is allot of info on this subject, but are our cars that picky when is comes to these sensors?

I just installed a new set of tires/rims which I purchased from Tire Rack. They came with the TMPS sensors installed.

But I have had no luck getting the new ID numbers registered with the car. The sensors are working and you are able to read the ID numbers off of each one, but no luck getting the car to except them. I took the car to the dealer as well as a friend's repair shop. Neither place was able to get the car except the ID numbers and it will not read any info from the sensors.

So do I need to stick with OEM sensors?

Waiting on a response from Tire Rack....
Bluesman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
I stuck with OEM sensors and I can swap wheels freely without a relearn. (Maybe my TPM light died lol)
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Bluesman62 (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
lizbrayan

Drives: '15 Scion Frs Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You have to find out if they are rediset sensors, if not you gotta get this device (forgot the name of it ) to where it programs the sensors to the cars ecu its a wireless thing where you plug a dongle in and go around the car to read each sensor.
lizbrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lizbrayan For This Useful Post:
Sosa (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
vintagemxer

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Had the same problem w/Tire Rack. PITB but going to use OEM sensors on the Tire Rack wheels and tires.
vintagemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Bluesman62

Garage
Well after some research, based on the mfg part number Tire Rack gave me the sensors they put in should have worked. They are the PMV-C010 which works on Toyota, Scion and the BRZ. Everything I read they should work....but they don't. Soooo, I will swap out the new sensors with the ones in the OEM wheels which I know work. The only thing I can think of that might have went wrong is maybe when Tire Rack mounted the tires someone grabbed the wrong sensors.

But Tire Rack said they would make good and refund me the cost of the sensors as well as the cost of doing the swap out.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Yal
#subaruambassador

Drives: Wheezy
Did I miss the part where you had a guy use the TPMS sensor tool to tell the car what sensors are now in place? Car needs to be programmed if you switch out the sensor. They have basically a mac address for each sensor.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
Bluesman62

Garage
So this gets even more strange. Tire Rack insists they installed the correct sensors for the BRZ in the wheels. My only thought at this point is maybe someone pulled the wrong ones off the shelf and installed them.

Well yesterday I had a mobile tire installer come swap out the sensors in the new wheels with the old ones in the original wheels. PITA, had to break down eight tires in all. Ok here is the strange part. The sensors in the new wheels are the exact same senors Subaru put the stock wheels. Exactly the same, same model, same manufacturer, same FCC ID number....the same! Yet the dealer was not able to get them to work.

So now that the new wheels have the old sensors I went back to the dealer. And guess what....they worked fine! WTF?? The car saw all the senors and was able to read all the data (pressure, temp, etc).

The guy who did the programming at the dealership seemed to know what he was doing. Maybe that was not the case the first time I went, might have been a different tech. BUT.....I did bring the car to my friend's auto repair shop / tire dealer and they were not able to get the car to read the new senors. Weird huh....
Old 11-27-2016, 01:41 AM   #8
vintagemxer

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
TPMS

Thanks for the heads up...doing mine next week (OEM TPMS to new wheels), along with the idle TSB
vintagemxer is offline   Reply With Quote