follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Australia Classifieds

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
wtrxprs007

Drives: 2006 Toyota Prado 4.0V6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First car for 16 year old in Melbourne

Hey guys, I'm thinking of maybe a Subaru BRZ but also looking at two nice Supra SZ-Rs on carsales too for $12k and $15k. Should I go for a BRZ because it's newer and probably safer etc or a Supra because it's a Supra?

The problem is that with a brand new car like the BRZ, it's gonna be a lot more to pay for (around $40k and insurance, not easy for a 16 y/o) but with the Supra, it's cheaper and we can save the money for running costs like fuel etc.

Also, the BRZ being a newer car, it's probably safer than the Supra (not sure about the Supras safety).

Advantage of the Supra though, 2JZ POWAAA

Any input from people would be appreciated.

Thanks
wtrxprs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
JCE17

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
lucky 16 year old to either get a Supra or BRZ...my first car was a 91 prelude All wheel steering, and I thought I was lucky...
JCE17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
not sure if troll

for a 16 year old I would buy a car that they could crash into a tree and wouldn't feel bad just leaving it there.

but young drivers make plenty of mistakes, from scratches and dings, to poor judgments when it comes to speeding, racing, etc. Best to do it in a car that you don't care about repairing and a car that isn't capable or doesn't present a certain image.

unless you feel like spoiling your kid, or think they can do no wrong.... then go ahead and buy them whatever you want.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe (07-25-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
martinEZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Definitely get the Supra. I have a BRZ myself, but as other have stated, we're talking about a 16 year old who is gonna mess up the car. It is inevitable, and I'd rather my kid not total a new dream car like the BRZ.

I guess the real question is, how comfortable are you with losing either vehicle...
martinEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
wtrxprs007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE17 View Post
lucky 16 year old to either get a Supra or BRZ...my first car was a 91 prelude All wheel steering, and I thought I was lucky...
hehehe '91 prelude not too bad tbh (just searched it up) first cars dont always have to be the best thing out there. with 4ws, you could brag about it too XD
Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
wtrxprs007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
not sure if troll

for a 16 year old I would buy a car that they could crash into a tree and wouldn't feel bad just leaving it there.

but young drivers make plenty of mistakes, from scratches and dings, to poor judgments when it comes to speeding, racing, etc. Best to do it in a car that you don't care about repairing and a car that isn't capable or doesn't present a certain image.

unless you feel like spoiling your kid, or think they can do no wrong.... then go ahead and buy them whatever you want.
no, not trolling. i really am considering those two cars.

i have had driving experience before and i do know how to handle myself. yes there can be mistakes that happen on the road and it can be the other road users too. not just the young one.

the plus of me kinda being like james may in that i like to keep things sorted, neat and clean and babying my stuff.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
wtrxprs007

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinEZ View Post
Definitely get the Supra. I have a BRZ myself, but as other have stated, we're talking about a 16 year old who is gonna mess up the car. It is inevitable, and I'd rather my kid not total a new dream car like the BRZ.

I guess the real question is, how comfortable are you with losing either vehicle...
not very comfortable at all. i never like the sight of seeing a wrecked car.

i do baby my things, try to keep it for as long as possible with a few modifications here and there. yes it sounds like im defending myself from the comments saying "a 16 year old whos going to ruin his car" but stereotypes re stereotypes. it doesnt apply to all.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
wtrxprs007

with cars like the supra, skyline, brz/86, nissan s-chassis, rx7, rx8, etc etc, its not uncommon to own one of them at an early age here. gotta love seeing your mates rolling around in them though.

if i werent able to own one, i can still just keep me dads car (toyota landcruiser prado -grunty beast-) as i do love it too. maybe with it i can get enough money to make it into an offroad machine hehe dreams are dreams though.

on a side note, i dont know how to multi-quote on this so excuse my many posts up^ there
Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I don't think either of these should ever be a kids first car unless you were one of those kids who grew up racing and already have a lot of driving experience. With that said you are going to do what you want to do. I'd say the 86 is a better choice because it has less power and is a safer car.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
WhiteFRS69 (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
Cliu91
Cliuless

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
As someone who's worked in the Financial industry for the past few years, I'd like for you to seriously consider this purchase - a little more thought than just a few forum posts and/or day-dreaming. The car is usually people's second biggest purchase is their life next to a home.

You're 16 years old, who is going to be paying for the car? You mention, "a brand new car like the BRZ, it's gonna be a lot more to pay for (around $40k and insurance, not easy for a 16 y/o)". What do you mean by this? Will YOU be making the payments yourself by working part-time/full-time minimum wage job?

I never discriminate because of age, because there are people who are 20 years old making more than someone who is 45 years old, it happens. But are you in this situation? What is your capacity? How is your job security?

In my humble opinion, I would buy the cheaper car (if buying is the only option), the Supra is already a great car, and 12k is much more manageable than a 40k car.

My advice? Take your dad's old car, save up, and then put it towards the down payment or even pay the car off in full.
Cliu91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
if you feel confident in your respect and road manners then you buy whatever you can afford, that's really all there is to it.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
I don't think either of these should ever be a kids first car unless you were one of those kids who grew up racing and already have a lot of driving experience. With that said you are going to do what you want to do. I'd say the 86 is a better choice because it has less power and is a safer car.
yea i agree with this above statement

first time i ever drove a car with boost, the torque steer almost killed me and i was 18,

i remember driving to high school and hearing nothing but stories about peopel crashing there mommy and daddies Mercedes or BMW ( i live in a rich area)

i don't understand parents concept of giving a BRAND NEW driver a BRAND NEW car!

first car i had, at 15 was a 99 dodge neon 5 speed, loved that car, was so happy just to have a car, at that age i didnt care about anything else but just owning a car, hell i even saved up all my money to buy a car!

are you going to be buying the car with your own hard earned money, or is mommy and daddy buying it for you???

with all the cars ive owned in the past 9 years of driving, they have all been bought with my own hard earned money! and i appreciate it more!

if your making mommy and daddy buy you a car, start off small, used, old! i can tell you the truth that 90% of kids who have there parents buy them a car, dont appreciate what they have, atleast thats with my experiance
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'd go for the BRZ. It's newer with less power and a lot safer.

It's never too early to own/drive a sport car if you can afford all the associated cost and responsibility. Owning either of these cars will be your marathon up Mount Everest.

At age 19, I barely made it out alive with a 99 Civic Si with fart-cannon.

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
MK4 Supra all day

I'm a big fan of Supras though, so my opinion is rather bias

Not a bad situation to be in at age 16, but I imagine your insurance costs will be exceptionally high

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote