follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Drives: '13 BRZ, 82 starlet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oilless turbos, low mount or rear mount?

Ok, so there are many multiple turbo kit / placement options out there, but none of them are very streamlined, IMO. the low mount turbos require oil scavenging pumps, the high mount turbos place the unit really close to heat-sensitive parts, and both add weight to the "wrong" end of the car.

Not a lot of info on the STS/Rearmount setup that i've read, and that got me thinking.

Why not use an oilless turbo? mounting options are much better, as the location and mounting position are not restricted by oil flow through the CHRA.

thoughts?
Sammakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The STS uses Comp oilless turbo, but still has to run lines from the engine bay. Oilless turbos still need cooling, the Comp turbos have a water jacket, hard lines follow the turbo charge piping back to the engine bay.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
The STS uses Comp oilless turbo, but still has to run lines from the engine bay. Oilless turbos still need cooling, the Comp turbos have a water jacket, hard lines follow the turbo charge piping back to the engine bay.
STS is also out of business.. yes, i'm aware they still need water, there's no reason to run it all the way from the stock cooling system, is there? could you not use a completely separate cooling system?
Old 07-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammakko View Post
STS is also out of business.. yes, i'm aware they still need water, there's no reason to run it all the way from the stock cooling system, is there? could you not use a completely separate cooling system?
You'd then need to build a separate cooling system with it's own radiator and water pump. Hardly cost or space effective.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AVOturboworld For This Useful Post:
Cross (07-27-2015), Spartarus (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammakko View Post
There's no reason not to run coolant from the engine bay. The performance cost is zero and the weight gain is negligible. There are several reasons not to build an independent loop.

You could build an independent loop in back but it wouldn't save any weight given the requirement for another radiator and reservoir. The cost of a radiator, electric pump, reservior (with provisions for expansion), and fittings/lines, pump relay and/or thermostat is significant. This solution adds several new electrical and mechanical failure points. The stock cooling system has all of these wonderful features already; you have to run piping anyway, just bracket the water hard lines onto the charge piping. Anything that's going to burst the water lines is going to break your charge piping too. Finding a suitable location for a radiator in the rear of this car is no trifling matter either.

Not to say rear mount turbos won't work in this car, but they work better and are much more responsive in low-boost, high-displacement, non-intercooled applications.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus

Last edited by Spartarus; 07-25-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
There's no reason not to run coolant from the engine bay. The performance cost is zero and the weight gain is negligible. There are several reasons not to build an independent loop.

You could build an independent loop in back but it wouldn't save any weight given the requirement for another radiator and reservoir. The cost of a radiator, electric pump, reservior (with provisions for expansion), and fittings/lines, pump relay and/or thermostat is significant. This solution adds several new electrical and mechanical failure points. The stock cooling system has all of these wonderful features already; you have to run piping anyway, just bracket the water hard lines onto the charge piping. Anything that's going to burst the water lines is going to break your charge piping too. Finding a suitable location for a radiator in the rear of this car is no trifling matter either.

Not to say rear mount turbos won't work in this car, but they work better and are much more responsive in low-boost, high-displacement, non-intercooled applications.
when i had my MR2 spyder on boost, i ran air-to-water intercooling, including lines that went all the way to the front of the car, bosch water pump, relay, and a cute little heat exchanger. i'm not opposed to running lines forward.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #7
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOturboworld View Post
You'd then need to build a separate cooling system with it's own radiator and water pump. Hardly cost or space effective.
could be done for around $250..
Old 07-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
kbogarto

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited WRB
To my knowledge AVO has experienced zero failures of the scavenge pump. Not really a big deal in my opinion. Probably easier than running a separate cooling system.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #9
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I don't know of any OEM's using oil less turbos... That's usually enough for me to steer clear of something.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbogarto View Post
To my knowledge AVO has experienced zero failures of the scavenge pump. Not really a big deal in my opinion. Probably easier than running a separate cooling system.

AVO uses a modified Subaru OEM mechanical scavenge pump off the FA20DIT, I would hope it has had no failures. PTuning uses an electric scavenge pump, they are the only ones using one now since Accelerated doesn't really make their undermount kit anymore. Those pumps are rated to run for a long long time and haven't really been an issue.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sammakko,

Our Stage 1 and Stage 2 kits may meet your criteria. Both kits locate the turbo just behind the engine block, in the typical EJ25 turbocharger location. This placement also allows for use of a gravity oil drain (no scavenge pump), and keeps piping and plumbing lengths to a minimum.

Our turbo is water-cooled and taps into the stock engine cooling circuit. We haven't seen any cooling system issues, even with track usage and an oil cooler adding additional thermal load. On a related note, our Stage 2 kit uses an air-to-liquid intercooler for charge air cooling - that system uses an independent cooling loop, as it needs to maintain a much lower system temperature to cool charge air.

Hopefully this provides some insight!

Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #12
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Drives: LOADING......
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oiless turbo = why even mount?
WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
I loved mine and why not run it into the stock cooling. I tapped my Prototype STS into the Heater core piping and it worked perfectly.