follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Victor Draken

Drives: Toyota Gt86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suspension Setup Coilover or not?

So I have read so many topics and different opinions about the topic.

What I do with the car:
- DD 60kms every day and spirited driving in the weekend montain roads.
- Maybe track in the future but only when I have all the mods I need to be safe on the track (oil cooler - brakes - suspension etc.)

I don't wanna lose the stock feelings while I drive the car, I like it neutral and ready to oversteer in case I want it but not like a S2K, I like the progressive way this car oversteer.

I'm not searching for a HUGE DROP, what I'm looking for is more stiffness and less bounce when I ride, sometimes on small bumpy road the car start jumping and It lose traction on a straight line, making the accelleration slower and the TC to flash. I want to improve the handling performance a bit but don't need a track monster right now, on the other side If I have to spend 1k $ for a non track suspension when I could spend maybe 500-700 more and have coilovers that can be used on the track... well I would take the more expensive one.

I'm no expert of tuning suspension, I'll have a shop of course that will do installment and tuning but I'm not searching for a to complicated setup, with to many variables, most of the time ppl install super coilover and the car handle worse then on stock suspension.

different options:

RCE Springs and SPC arms + camber bolts
RCE Springs + Koni + SPC arms + camber bolts + swaybar
ST Coilovers

or going for very good coilovers so:

KW3 coilovers or other medium/highe level Coilovers

Please help me out here, I just can't find a good setup for what I need.

Wheel and tyres will be STOCK SIZE, just better tyres (PSS).

Thanks to anyone that will help me out
Old 12-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
You've got a couple good options listed!

One idea is to try just the RCE springs + SPC arms, and see what you think. You could then add the Konis + swaybars later OR sell the springs and go with coilovers. You'd reuse the arms and could reuse swaybars too.

It's often helpful to do things in stages, as long as you do it carefully.

I suspect that you would be happy with the springs + konis, camber bolts, rear arms, and swaybars. Excellent handling and easy to drive fast.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (12-31-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Victor Draken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
You've got a couple good options listed!

One idea is to try just the RCE springs + SPC arms, and see what you think. You could then add the Konis + swaybars later OR sell the springs and go with coilovers. You'd reuse the arms and could reuse swaybars too.

It's often helpful to do things in stages, as long as you do it carefully.

I suspect that you would be happy with the springs + konis, camber bolts, rear arms, and swaybars. Excellent handling and easy to drive fast.

- Andy
I had more or less the same idea but price is a big question: springs + konis, camber bolts, rear arms and swaybars I think it's around 1300-1400$
Isn't a set of medium good coilovers around 1500-1700$?

What springs do you suggest? RCE? eibach sport? eibach pro?
Do you think I need to upgrade the bush as well?

What is the difference between this two springs?

-Racecomp Engineering BRZ/Scion FRS Yellow Performance Lowering Springs AKA "Yellows"
-Racecomp Engineering BRZ/FR-S Tarmac Lowering Springs

What size of swaybars front and rear should I get to retain a neutral handling?

Last edited by Victor Draken; 12-26-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Victor Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Draken View Post
I had more or less the same idea but price is a big question: springs + konis, camber bolts, rear arms and swaybars I think it's around 1300-1400$
Isn't a set of medium good coilovers around 1500-1700$?

What springs do you suggest? RCE? eibach sport? eibach pro?
Do you think I need to upgrade the bush as well?

What is the difference between this two springs?

-Racecomp Engineering BRZ/Scion FRS Yellow Performance Lowering Springs AKA "Yellows"
-Racecomp Engineering BRZ/FR-S Tarmac Lowering Springs

What size of swaybars front and rear should I get to retain a neutral handling?
Yes you you're getting close to good coilover price but coilovers may not necessarily be better for you. Remember you'll want rear lower control arms anyway and swaybars will help on top of that.

For performance I recommend our RCE springs everytime. Eibach sport are too low. Pro-kit are fine but too soft up front.

The RCE Tarmac springs are a little firmer than the RCE Yellow springs and only intended to be used with Koni or Bilstein (when they are out).

We also have our RCE swaybar which match our springs well. And have package deals...

- Andy
Old 12-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Victor Draken

Quote:
Yes you you're getting close to good coilover price but coilovers may not necessarily be better for you. Remember you'll want rear lower control arms anyway and swaybars will help on top of that.

For performance I recommend our RCE springs everytime. Eibach sport are too low. Pro-kit are fine but too soft up front.

The RCE Tarmac springs are a little firmer than the RCE Yellow springs and only intended to be used with Koni or Bilstein (when they are out).

We also have our RCE swaybar which match our springs well. And have package deals...

- Andy
Andy, what about the bilstein, I live in Europe so It would be very easy I think to find it in some online shop. Should I get the B6 or B8? Are they better then Koni?
I'll contact you soon directly, for a complete suspension order spring+swaybar+more stuff
Old 12-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Racecomp Engineering

I usually like Bilstein quite a bit...a little more than Koni (though I run Koni on my personal car).

I have not tried them for this car yet though.

Bilstein B6 are Bilstein HD. These are a mild performance improvement over stock. Good comfort.

Bilstein B8 are Bilstein Sport. These are firmer...definitely a jump in performance.

I'd expect both would pair well with RCE Yellow, the Sports would be awesome with the RCE Tarmac springs.

- Andy
Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I might have to do a bit a thread jack here because I'm struggling with the same choice. I was originally thinking the RCE Yellow springs because I hadn't planned on lowering the car until I saw their modest drop. So I was thinking of doing RCE Springs and koni shocks, which seems to be a popular combo. The only problem is the wheels I want won't fit without spacers (17x9 +45) if I get the spring/shock combo. I was told it should fit with coils.

So now I have to make a choice. RCE Springs/Koni shocks/spacers or H&R Street Performance coilovers (or some other similarly priced/modest drop coils).
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Mike86

Drives: Scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can the rce springs be put on the stock shocks cause im in the same boat as the OP i want a stiffer ride and improved handling but not at the cost of coilovers right now?
Thanks mike
Mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
if you are driving on roads rough enough to engage traction control in a straight line you should probably sell the frs and buy a jeep or something.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-03-2014)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Can the rce springs be put on the stock shocks cause im in the same boat as the OP i want a stiffer ride and improved handling but not at the cost of coilovers right now?
Thanks mike
Absolutely, we designed them knowing most would use them with stock shocks. The stock shocks are not too bad actually as long as the car isn't slammed. Konis or Bilsteins get you a step more performance but you will be improving things with just the shocks.

Lots of people out there with several thousand miles on their RCE yellows with stock shocks! We had a ton of miles and track days on ours.

- Andy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (12-31-2013), Mike86 (12-31-2013)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #11
Victor Draken

Quote:
I usually like Bilstein quite a bit...a little more than Koni (though I run Koni on my personal car).

Bilstein B6 are Bilstein HD. These are a mild performance improvement over stock. Good comfort.

Bilstein B8 are Bilstein Sport. These are firmer...definitely a jump in performance.

I'd expect both would pair well with RCE Yellow, the Sports would be awesome with the RCE Tarmac springs.

- Andy
I'm very interested in the Bilstein B8 with tarmac springs, Now I need to find the shock in europe, will not be easy, so many confused information on the website (on the blistein mainsite as well, B6 are called sport and the B8 spring....)
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
Victor Draken

Quote:

- Andy
Do you mind giving me a mail so we can have a chat of what I need and what kind of price package you can offer me?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Just a bit of an aside... there is absolutely ZERO reason you need to upgrade anything before hitting up a track.

Unless you're a very accomplished racer running long sessions (20 minutes +) you'll be 100% fine with the car 100% stock. Now if you run stickier tires, you'll need better brake pads, but the lack of oil cooler and stock suspension will be perfectly fine and safe.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #14
Victor Draken

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Just a bit of an aside... there is absolutely ZERO reason you need to upgrade anything before hitting up a track.

Unless you're a very accomplished racer running long sessions (20 minutes +) you'll be 100% fine with the car 100% stock. Now if you run stickier tires, you'll need better brake pads, but the lack of oil cooler and stock suspension will be perfectly fine and safe.
But I want to lower the car a bit and I think that if I change only the spring It will make the car handle worse than stock. Am I wrong?