follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #29
brzadmir

Drives: 13' BRZ, 05' 325xi, 02' RAV4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Yes, its very similar minus the "raspines". Nice, deep tone. Get the catted downpipe, they Dynoed both versions and there is no power gains from going Catless, only rasp and loudness is added.
Yeah but i feel as if i go catless my sound will be very similar to what was shown in the video as opposed to going catted the sound may differ because in this video the pipe was a invidia catless downpipe so i figure the nameless catless will have a similar sound as opposed to nameless catted... any thoughts???
brzadmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #30
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzadmir View Post
Yeah but i feel as if i go catless my sound will be very similar to what was shown in the video as opposed to going catted the sound may differ because in this video the pipe was a invidia catless downpipe so i figure the nameless catless will have a similar sound as opposed to nameless catted... any thoughts???
If you are looking EXACTLY for this sound, then yeah I agree with you you should go Catless.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #31
brzadmir

Drives: 13' BRZ, 05' 325xi, 02' RAV4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
If you are looking EXACTLY for this sound, then yeah I agree with you you should go Catless.
One more question man, appreciate the help though! What does it mean when it says exhaust bushings??? So if i purchase the "no mufflers" that is loudest out of the 4" or 5"? Thanks again
brzadmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #32
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzadmir View Post
One more question man, appreciate the help though! What does it mean when it says exhaust bushings??? So if i purchase the "no mufflers" that is loudest out of the 4" or 5"? Thanks again
I forgot about that part of your question. The bushings are rubber or compound hangers that hold your exhaust in place. Do you plan to race your car at all? If yes, you should get at least two for the farthest back ones. IF you plan on racing a lot, get the 5 and replace them all.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I forgot about that part of your question. The bushings are rubber or compound hangers that hold your exhaust in place. Do you plan to race your car at all? If yes, you should get at least two for the farthest back ones. IF you plan on racing a lot, get the 5 and replace them all.
I remember reading that and groaning a little bit. What's the difference between racing a little and racing a lot? Either you need them or you don't.

@brzadmir, the point of the poly bushings is presumably to help better stabilize the exhaust over the stock rubber bushings. If your exhaust is bouncing around and hitting anything, you need more. How many you need up front is anyone's guess. My guess is zero, but I'm planning on 2, and I will be racing my car "kind of a lot."

On the WRX the point of poly hangers is that they're longer than stock, in case your exhaust doesn't fit quite right. But I haven't seen anything that indicates these are longer, and in any case, after 6 different exhausts on the WRX I never found one that needed longer hangers.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #34
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
I remember reading that and groaning a little bit. What's the difference between racing a little and racing a lot? Either you need them or you don't.
Ok, let me put in in simpler, more detailed terms... If you race " a little", you are not the most experienced driver, you rarely go to events and as a consequence, you don't push the car to the MAX. Hence, no need for full bushing change.

If you race "a lot" it means you regularly do track, are an experienced driver and will be pushing the car to the max. Hence, changing the 5 bushings is highly recommended.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #35
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok, let me put in in simpler, more detailed terms... If you race " a little", you are not the most experienced driver, you rarely go to events and as a consequence, you don't push the car to the MAX. Hence, no need for full bushing change.

If you race "a lot" it means you regularly do track, are an experienced driver and will be pushing the car to the max. Hence, changing the 5 bushings is highly recommended.

:P If you saw me drive you might change your mind. I'm so not smooth it would blow your mind. If anyone is going to bang a muffler on the bottom side of the car it's me.

If anyone is going to bang a ***** on the bottom side of the **** it's me.

Seriously though, you put more in until the exhaust doesn't hit anything. Since you're ordering, guess how many you'll need and hope it's enough. My opinion without any evidence to back it up is get at least 2 and you'll be fine.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #36
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
:P If you saw me drive you might change your mind. I'm so not smooth it would blow your mind. If anyone is going to bang a muffler on the bottom side of the car it's me.
Every rule has an exception In any case, I agree, as a general rule two should be fine.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #37
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
On the WRX the point of poly hangers is that they're longer than stock...
Just to be clear, that's not always the case. For instance, Kartboy sells "XL" hangers to drop an exhaust with poor clearance. They are available in 15mm or 12mm (this refers to the size of the holes for mounting). Our car uses the 12mm I believe, same as 08+ Imprezas. 02-07 uses 15mm. But both sizes are available in stock size or Extra Long. I'm sure other manufacturers have this as well, I'm just a KB fan.

I had both long and standard on my 05 WRX (Invidia N1 catback). The short ones made the exhaust bump the underside of the car, but the XLs made it look horrible. I ended up just banging a dent in the pipe and using the standard length hangers. No more knockin!

Don't be caught with a floppy pipe! I'm all for replacing 4. That 5th one was a PITA to get installed on the WRX so I have no intention of bothering with this car. They're so cheap anyway, why just buy two?
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2point0 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #38
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point0 View Post

Don't be caught with a floppy pipe! I'm all for replacing 4. That 5th one was a PITA to get installed on the WRX so I have no intention of bothering with this car. They're so cheap anyway, why just buy two?
Very well written. Wanted to point out the 5th is fairly easy on our cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
2point0 (05-24-2013)
Old 09-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #39
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
OK OK... so how many pieces are there between the exhaust ports and the exhaust tips?

headers - over pipe - down pipe - mid pipe - axle back

??
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #40
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much View Post
OK OK... so how many pieces are there between the exhaust ports and the exhaust tips?
headers - over pipe - down pipe - mid pipe - axle back
??
Depends on whether you count clamps, nuts, bolts and gaskets.
Attached Images

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
2much (09-20-2014)