follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #85

Drives: 2014 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztan View Post
Having seen the E85 at the station yesterday, I went back home and pored over the wiring diagrams and the car.

The two commonly used sensor inputs are the rear oxygen sensor (O2S2) and the Evap pressure sensor. ECU pins as per diagram below (the wiring manual has the connectors as if you were looking end on at the harness plug - they are mirror-imaged when you look at them plugged in to the ECU.

I had a look at the connector AD2 (which is more accessible than the ECU) which joins the ECU to the fuel pump and Evap cannister harness: the wires were not there for the Evap cannister (A01G ROM). It turns out that I am in luck and the ECU does not interrogate Evap Pressure in my A01G car, so I don't need to compensate for losing the signal.

Moving on to connector A35 on the ECU, pin 20 was empty and I decided to hook a wire up to it. Pulled the connector out - it turns out that I could use the Molex pin from a scrap IDE type ribbon cable on this. To do this, lift the retainer on the IDE plug with a pick and pull the connector out. The A35 connector has a horizontal locking tab in the middle - that needs to be pulled out about 2mm, then the IDE Molex pin slides all the way down the barrel and does not come out when the locking tab is replaced. See last picture for new wire placement.
I made a serious attempt at getting this terminal into the A35 plug with zero success. I have used the exact same connector pictured, but can't for the life of me get it to click in at all!!!

Would greatly appreciate any support from someone that's connected wires direct into the ECU
504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:31 AM   #86
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 View Post
I made a serious attempt at getting this terminal into the A35 plug with zero success. I have used the exact same connector pictured, but can't for the life of me get it to click in at all!!!

Would greatly appreciate any support from someone that's connected wires direct into the ECU

Did you unplug connector from ecu then try inserting pin ?
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:09 AM   #87

Drives: 2014 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Did you unplug connector from ecu then try inserting pin ?
Yeah I have fully unplugged the connector and tried to insert

The connector is the same as the one pictured by ztan
504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:53 AM   #88
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 View Post
Yeah I have fully unplugged the connector and tried to insert

The connector is the same as the one pictured by ztan

Check the tab thats supposed to spring out is not bent inwards, somtimes this happens when its removed from old connectotor housing, you might have to bend tab outwards again
Old 10-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #89
ojuniour

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Any luck on 2017 usdm auto map?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
ojuniour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #90
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojuniour View Post
Any luck on 2017 usdm auto map?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Its highly unlikely that anyone like ztan is going to develop an opensource flex fuel tune for the 2017+ cars. It requires someone with a high level of skill to spend hundreds of hours of their time to develop and risk possibly bricking their ecu ( ztan bricked one) , and then give the work away for free.
Ztan was extremly generous with his time

If you want flx for 2017+ in the forseavle future your going to need ecutek
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Yobiwan (10-29-2019)
Old 01-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #91
dholloway543
Software Hobbiest

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I am willing to try.

Im just curious how ZTAN is dissembling the hex. By hand or is he using a program?
dholloway543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:04 AM   #92
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholloway543 View Post
I am willing to try.

Im just curious how ZTAN is dissembling the hex. By hand or is he using a program?
he used program called IDA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Disassembler
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
dholloway543 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 01:39 AM   #93
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I’ve been wondering if anybody has the coding skills to remap one of the unused pins of the ECU for use as the ethanol content sensor input so that we here in the US can get a flex-fuel kit that has the potential to be CARB compliant. Instead of substituting the ethanol sensor for the rear O2 sensor or the evap pressure sensor, which automatically disqualifies the modification from being compliant, to adding the additional sensor where there wasn’t one before. I would take this on personally if I had coding skills, or would be willing to supply someone with a spare ECU for research and development and would gladly help to pay to get this project started. Would anyone else here be interested in this?
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:24 AM   #94
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
I’ve been wondering if anybody has the coding skills to remap one of the unused pins of the ECU for use as the ethanol content sensor input so that we here in the US can get a flex-fuel kit that has the potential to be CARB compliant. Instead of substituting the ethanol sensor for the rear O2 sensor or the evap pressure sensor, which automatically disqualifies the modification from being compliant, to adding the additional sensor where there wasn’t one before. I would take this on personally if I had coding skills, or would be willing to supply someone with a spare ECU for research and development and would gladly help to pay to get this project started. Would anyone else here be interested in this?

Id say coding to unused outputs would be extremely unlikely, not even ecutek do that and they have full time coders. It may becunused inpits\outputs not wired out or that to code extra inputs\outputs is way more difficult than just repurposing existing inputs\outputs.

Even jist altering ecu code requored a hogh level of skills and a lot of time
Old 01-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #95
steve99
Banned

Quote:

Id say coding to unused outputs inputs would be extremely unlikely, not even ecutek do that and they have full time coders. It may becaise unused inputs outputs not wired out to connection pins or that to code extra inputs\outputs is way more difficult than just repurposing existing inputs\outputs.

Even just altering ecu code required a high level of skills and a lot of time
Old 01-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #96
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Id say coding to unused outputs inputs would be extremely unlikely, not even ecutek do that and they have full time coders. It may becaise unused inputs outputs not wired out to connection pins or that to code extra inputs\outputs is way more difficult than just repurposing existing inputs\outputs.

Even just altering ecu code required a high level of skills and a lot of time
It could be as easy as once an open and workable circuit is located, just cutting and pasting existing code into it. We won’t know unless somebody tries. And the payoff could eventually be the first CARB compliant tune that can be marketed for the 86/BRZ/FR-S. It definitely would take someone that’s dedicated to these rides though.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #97
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What "existing code"? "as easy"?
People have access only to binary firmware dump from ecu, then there goes low level disassembling, no documentation, no comments, no source code and alike, one has to do lot of guessing, going by hunch, trial & error (including results like bricking ecu, or crashing), "coding" is in low level, especially more so if you want to code something extra, most of "tuning" happens to be by tweaking values in some found tables, not adjusting code that works with those. It was major PITA to add extra functionality/custom codepaths for E85/forced induction/LC/FFS and alike, a bit better for paid team of devs @EcuTek, much harder for single enthuasists doing for free at limited off-work time such enormous low-level work that requires much higher skillset then generic coding in higher level languages if one had access to original source code (most probably no-one outside toyota/subaru ever will, to not ease tampering with firmware for legal reasons, including emissions certification and such).
Have you ever done yourself "easy" coding in assembly for undocumented existing binary firmware that works on undocumented hardware set (including mentioned extra input/output signal pins)?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Wayno (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #98
mrjj

Drives: GT86 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It could be as easy as once an open and workable circuit is located, just cutting and pasting existing code into it. We won’t know unless somebody tries. And the payoff could eventually be the first CARB compliant tune that can be marketed for the 86/BRZ/FR-S. It definitely would take someone that’s dedicated to these rides though.
It could be, but it's probably not. Do we even know if there are any unused input pins (on the chip, not the connector)?
Here is a good start guide for anyone who wants to give it a try:
https://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6303
mrjj is offline   Reply With Quote