follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
The fuck I did. How is it lucky to have an oil pump come apart at 65,000 miles and take out an engine? Why do people keep saying I "won" or "got lucky" to lose an engine?

There is no such things as "luck" anyway. There are statistical chances that can be measured and considered but no "luck". It was not any mystical force that caused you to have the warranty and get to use it any more than there was for me to decide not to get it and end up not having something happen. We both looked at the cost vs benefit and based upon the data available at the time made a decision on which way we wanted to go. Yes we both had results on the opposite ends of the probabilities but neither of us was relying upon "luck" to make our choice.
Dadhawk (02-08-2017), extrashaky (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #44
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
The fuck I did. How is it lucky to have an oil pump come apart at 65,000 miles and take out an engine? Why do people keep saying I "won" or "got lucky" to lose an engine? You people have a seriously fucked up sense of what winning looks like.

Bang! Rat-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at-at.

"Yay! I hit the jackpot!"

Your vehicle had a rare, unexpected failure. Regardless of what anybody in here thinks about whether or not insurance is worth it, the course that you took allowed you to pay the minimum amount required to correct the problem, given any possible scenario. I don't see how you call that anything but fortunate. You might not have won any money but do you not have more money in your bank account than you otherwise would because of the choices you made and how things played out?
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #45
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
I don't see how you call that anything but fortunate.
I don't feel fortunate at all for my engine to have come apart. The whole idea is absurd. "Wow, since you have health insurance, you're really lucky to have that kidney stone. Here's to hoping your house burns down so you can get a check for all the irreplaceable stuff you lose."
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #46
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't feel fortunate at all for my engine to have come apart.
I think we can all pretty much agree with you on that!

Your initial post (and the thread title) did seem to indicate that thought that you feel fortunate to have had the warranty, which you should.

In my case, I would feel the same and fortunate enough to be able to painfully write the check to correct it. Or, I would have the option to scrap the whole thing and move the money into the next big automotive adventure.

Be sure to keep us updated on the end result of your replacement in the tech thread.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #47
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Or, I would have the option to scrap the whole thing and move the money into the next big automotive adventure.
Funny you mention that. I rode with the tow truck driver down to the lot, and as we were pulling in, there was a brand new yellow 2017 BRZ sitting right out front on the showroom's patio. I can't deny that the thought went through my head, "Wonder if maybe I can trade for that."

I have too many automotive adventures going on right now. My Cherokee is also out of commission (random misfires I can't seem to track down) and my Gladiator is still awaiting a major refit. I need to stick with what I've got for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #48
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't feel fortunate at all for my engine to have come apart. The whole idea is absurd. "Wow, since you have health insurance, you're really lucky to have that kidney stone. Here's to hoping your house burns down so you can get a check for all the irreplaceable stuff you lose."
There IS one case where you can be "fortunate" to have an engine come apart.

That is: One has a 60,000 mi powertrain warranty. Engine explodes AT 59,900 miles.
You ARE FORTUNATE to get a NEW engine for free NOW rather than having to pay for a new engine if had happened 200 miles later.
(I know your case is different, but similar)

THAT is the point they were making. You had a latent defect and it revealed itself while still under warranty rather than after.

So now you will have a car with 65,000 miles and a brand new engine.
I would rather have that than a car with 65,000 miles and a latent defect that could surface at any time.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #49
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
Obviously it doesn't cover track use........but I dont think you would say
"Oh my engine blow during track" <<< ofcause they not gonna fix it...
One of the reasons I didn't spring for extended warranty coverage is that I absolutely planned on using my car like it was advertised on track and at autox and there are many many stories about dealerships saying "nope, owner abuse, warranty claim denied" even when the owner never so much as looked at a track video.

Given that we're in the same region, if you want to have that warranty safety net keep it totally stock. They see a lot of knuckleheads and have enough business to not worry about losing yours.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #50
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
There IS one case where you can be "fortunate" to have an engine come apart.

That is: One has a 60,000 mi powertrain warranty. Engine explodes AT 59,900 miles.
You ARE FORTUNATE to get a NEW engine for free NOW rather than having to pay for a new engine if had happened 200 miles later.
(I know your case is different, but similar)

THAT is the point they were making. You had a latent defect and it revealed itself while still under warranty rather than after.

So now you will have a car with 65,000 miles and a brand new engine.
I would rather have that than a car with 65,000 miles and a latent defect that could surface at any time.
This is starting to sound like that old "Fortunately... Unfortunately" joke.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-08-2017), justatroll (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #51
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

So you look at your oil pump as an irreplaceable part that causes you physical pain and/or holds sentimental value and the failure of which cost you something more than a tow, several hours of inconvenience, and dealing with a loaner car for a while? That's interesting.

Did the inconvenience of your car breaking cause you to miss some major life event like a wedding, funeral, flight to a nice vacation? Or was it just a wasted afternoon in exchange for a new engine and you having to pay the lower cost of the warranty vs. the full cost of a new engine?
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #52
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
Did the inconvenience of your car breaking cause you to miss some major life event like a wedding, funeral, flight to a nice vacation?
Yes. I had to take a major dump and couldn't leave while waiting for the tow truck. It was very traumatic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-08-2017), Prmspen (02-08-2017), Ultramaroon (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #53
Odd
#

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@extrashaky Congrats on the 4 page thread, I too have the extended warranty (heck they upsold me on it well w/ the low interest rate).

Do you mind telling me if your car is one of the first in 2014 (i.e first months of production). Mine is a 2014 as well and its in the shop getting repaired under the extended warranty (throwout bearing / clutch).
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #54
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post
Do you mind telling me if your car is one of the first in 2014 (i.e first months of production).
It was delivered in January 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post
Mine is a 2014 as well and its in the shop getting repaired under the extended warranty (throwout bearing / clutch).
That's interesting. Judging from the posts on here, I was under the impression that clutch parts were considered wear parts and would not be replaced under warranty. I thought I remembered some pretty nasty fights about it.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:02 AM   #55
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Another slow day in the forums again ... sigh
Old 02-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #56
Odd
#

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Akina View Post
Another slow day in the forums again ... sigh
I blame facebook, reddit, and young people being able to afford these depreciated FRS and BRZs.
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Odd For This Useful Post:
Ghost of Akina (02-11-2017)