follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #869
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Firearms homicides in Canada are incredibly low. Suicides by firearm are also on the decline since the 90s.

The statistics on gun related crime published by the government don't in any way align with the current policies they are trying to push. For the last 50 years we've had between 174-297 deaths a YEAR from firearms homicides. There is no upward trend, and it fluctuates year to year. Amusingly enough, handgun homicides have steadily increased (almost doubled since 1974, though still only in the low-mid100s) as legal handgun ownership became more restrictive... so clearly the rules around it are not the issue.

It's just being done to manipulate the unfortunately large segment of our population that just thinks guns = bad, and so they blindly vote for any party and legislation that also tells them guns are bad.

They will say "we want to stop gang violence", that the rules "will not affect legal gun owners", and in the very next sentence present their new laws that ONLY affect legal gun owners. And when called out on their lies, they kick people out of the discussion.

Criminals don't care about laws... it's why they are criminals.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (12-15-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 07:46 PM   #870
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
That table with number of guns owned vs the number of so called "mass shootings" just tells you that it has nothing to do with guns. Rather it has something to do with the health of the society, or lack thereof.

And forcing more retarded regulations and limitations doesn't contribute to the society's health, well in a positive way at least.
I wouldn’t say it has nothing to do with it, but I agree that the US has issues. Probably best not to bring lots of guns to a place with lots of issues.
Capt Spaulding (12-15-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #871
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
Firearms homicides in Canada are incredibly low. Suicides by firearm are also on the decline since the 90s.

The statistics on gun related crime published by the government don't in any way align with the current policies they are trying to push. For the last 50 years we've had between 174-297 deaths a YEAR from firearms homicides. There is no upward trend, and it fluctuates year to year. Amusingly enough, handgun homicides have steadily increased (almost doubled since 1974, though still only in the low-mid100s) as legal handgun ownership became more restrictive... so clearly the rules around it are not the issue.

It's just being done to manipulate the unfortunately large segment of our population that just thinks guns = bad, and so they blindly vote for any party and legislation that also tells them guns are bad.

They will say "we want to stop gang violence", that the rules "will not affect legal gun owners", and in the very next sentence present their new laws that ONLY affect legal gun owners. And when called out on their lies, they kick people out of the discussion.

Criminals don't care about laws... it's why they are criminals.
I’m not familiar with Canada or what is spurring such legislation. In the US, school shootings and gang violence gets most of the attention, even though both make up a small percentage of firearm deaths, specifically gang related homicides against unknown/innocent victims. While school shootings make up a small number of deaths, the impacts to communities, to families who must send their children back to school, to the families and friends affected directly by deaths, etc the impact is much greater than the death toll. Suicides or aggravated homicides where a jealous lover kills the adulterer gets less press.

I explained the problem like this: there were 49 school shootings this year in the US with 36 deaths and 98 injuries. While these numbers aren’t huge, we are talking almost one school shooting a week. If the population doubled someday then we would have two shootings per week and so on. If we had the population of China, that would be four school shootings a week. It would be proportional to now, but we would be utterly desensitized to it, or would we want to do something about it seeing mass shootings on the news each night? We had 45k gun deaths in the US in 2020, which is about 10 deaths per hour. We are obviously desensitized to this. Maybe the school shootings wouldn’t matter eventually, but as Australia said, if children getting shot didn’t sway US opinion then nothing will. I’d have to agree.

Plus we need the for Red Dawn.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:11 AM   #872
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
In that case…

Old 12-15-2022, 06:12 AM   #873
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Ok. Now that those so inclined have ejaculated, let’s all enjoy the refractory interval and relax. This is ‘murika. Little to nothing useful will happen.
The price of ammo is finally falling like a canadian maple leaf in autumn and I couldn't be happier?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wally86 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (12-15-2022), Dadhawk (12-15-2022), NoHaveMSG (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 12:51 PM   #874
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,324 Times in 7,382 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't been shooting handguns much the last few years, so I picked up a CZ P-09 as a plinker. Plan to hit the range, or a couple private property spots I have access to, at least once a month. So far, not super happy with the SA trigger pull, reset is really long.

MICHAEL450f (02-05-2023), Wally86 (02-04-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 06:11 PM   #875
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have a couple of Walter PPQs - a 4” with the oem trigger and a Q5 match with an Apex trigger. Both have pretty short resets, but with the apex it’s barely there. The oem has quite a bit of take up, the Apex feels like a 1911.
NoHaveMSG (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 06:52 PM   #876
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I have a couple of Walter PPQs - a 4” with the oem trigger and a Q5 match with an Apex trigger. Both have pretty short resets, but with the apex it’s barely there. The oem has quite a bit of take up, the Apex feels like a 1911.
I have the Apex in my Shield and like it a lot. I was really shocked at the long reset. I find that more annoying than a heavier trigger.
Capt Spaulding (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 07:56 PM   #877
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I have the Apex in my Shield and like it a lot. I was really shocked at the long reset. I find that more annoying than a heavier trigger.
I have 3 9mms. The third is one of the early Springfield XDs. The trigger is nothing special, but it stages well and takes about three pounds to break the wall. Not great, but I’m used to it.

The PPQs stage decently too, but have some grittiness I can’t get out. The grit is the result of a small cam on the trigger bar depressing the plunger for striker/firing pin block. I polished both the cam and the plunger and it improved. But it still has a ways to go. They’re both new, fewer than 250 rounds each, while the XD is well over 5000. So I’m hoping they smooth out.

I’m getting more mobile so I think it’s time to do some loading and use up some bullets.
NoHaveMSG (02-06-2023), Wally86 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 08:13 PM   #878
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I have 3 9mms. The third is one of the early Springfield XDs. The trigger is nothing special, but it stages well and takes about three pounds to break the wall. Not great, but I’m used to it.

The PPQs stage decently too, but have some grittiness I can’t get out. The grit is the result of a small cam on the trigger bar depressing the plunger for striker/firing pin block. I polished both the cam and the plunger and it improved. But it still has a ways to go. They’re both new, fewer than 250 rounds each, while the XD is well over 5000. So I’m hoping they smooth out.

I’m getting more mobile so I think it’s time to do some loading and use up some bullets.
I've heard a lot of good things about those PPQ's. I shot my buddies early IWI 9mm Baby Eagle this weekend and that thing was great all the way around. Nice trigger, pointed really well. I don't even mind a bit of grittiness or 4-5lb break. That reset just drives me up the wall. I am already looking at parts from Cajun Gun Works to help it out.
Capt Spaulding (02-06-2023), Wally86 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 10:17 PM   #879
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about those PPQ's. I shot my buddies early IWI 9mm Baby Eagle this weekend and that thing was great all the way around. Nice trigger, pointed really well. I don't even mind a bit of grittiness or 4-5lb break. That reset just drives me up the wall. I am already looking at parts from Cajun Gun Works to help it out.
I like the PPQs. You might like one with an Apex trigger. I’ll try to measure the reset on mine tomorrow. For an out of the box striker pistol they have very good triggers and are as accurate as I can shoot a 4 inch semi auto pistol. Although, I have to say my son has some new hot rod Beretta that is incredible.
NoHaveMSG (02-08-2023), Wally86 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 02:35 PM   #880
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Measured the trigger movement on the Apex in my Q5. Take up was about 1.5 to 2 mm with very little over travel. Reset, between 2.5 and 3.

Edit: both measurements were taken at bottom of the trigger bow. (On the apex the “bow” is straight.) Depending your grip, the contact point between the index finger and the face of the trigger is higher. Since the trigger on the PPQ (and some to most semi auto pistols) pivots around a pin in the frame, the perceived take up and reset should feel smaller.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 02-07-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-08-2023), weederr33 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 04:32 PM   #881
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Finished this a while back. Had fun stretching my 11.5 out beyond 500m during some events but with a simple T2 red dot and magnifier, you're really just estimating your hold at that point, so getting that 1st round hit is a bit of a struggle.

So I opted to build a 13.9 upper using a Criterion barrel and a Surefire 3P to meet that 16" minimum OAL (f*ck the ATF). Nightforce 1-8 with their FC-DMx reticle is super easy to use at distance. Sub MOA all day paired with 77gr OTMs and shooting out to 500-600m is pretty easy work now.

Kind of my ideal "do it all" AR15 setup. Still undecided on the 12 o clock RDS mount though. It has it's pros, but I do also like it being canted/offset. I'll keep it this way for a while though and see.
Attached Images

TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-25-2023), weederr33 (02-26-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 12:18 PM   #882
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My CCW is in 9mm, and what I love even more are these 50gr defense rounds (vs 135gr). At nearly 3x less weight, I forget that I'm even carrying. It's made CCW so much more comfortable.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote