follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2023, 08:08 AM   #29
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
looks cheap but would probably work ok.

personally not a fan of racks that hang the bike off the top tube and much prefer a tray style one where the wheels are supported.

if you dont want to spend a lot of money on the rack (new ones are now really expensive) try looking for used options
I'm not too familiar with bike racks of the past decade or so as I haven't kept up. But for like 20 years, my dad owned a solid tube style bike rack that held 4 bikes for just about every trip we took it on. And half of the bikes were cheap, heavy, and bulky. That rack handled them like a champ. So in my mind, I've always liked that kind of a rack over the tray style. The tray style has always looked so large in comparison and looks like it brings higher risk to backing it up into something. But again, I'm very unfamiliar with what's out there. My assumption is, if you spend the right money, either rack can be very good. I probably agree that I wouldn't cheap out on something like this. But then again... if it's two light bikes going on a small tube rack like OP posted, I can't really imagine it being a problem.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 01:46 PM   #30
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

ive been running the eco-hitch stealth 1.5" receiver that bolts onto crash bar/bumper after taking off that plastic cover paired w/ the saris all star bike rack w/ 2 full sus bikes for a few years now, no problems. i stayed away from slambert in fear of bending, plus i dont want that rack if im not dragging bikes

https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-...tch/subaru/brz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PRMJ979...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Attached Images

bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bababooey For This Useful Post:
fredzy (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #31
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
ive been running the eco-hitch stealth 1.5" receiver that bolts onto crash bar/bumper after taking off that plastic cover paired w/ the saris all star bike rack w/ 2 full sus bikes for a few years now, no problems. i stayed away from slambert in fear of bending, plus i dont want that rack if im not dragging bikes
Nice. This is the one that the receiver can be removed when not in use, correct? I sorta regret getting the Slambert instead of this. I passed partly because I didn't want to take a risk and be a guinea pig to see if it would work on the 2nd gen, especially at that price. But I'm sure it would have worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
I'm not too familiar with bike racks of the past decade or so as I haven't kept up. But for like 20 years, my dad owned a solid tube style bike rack that held 4 bikes for just about every trip we took it on. And half of the bikes were cheap, heavy, and bulky. That rack handled them like a champ. So in my mind, I've always liked that kind of a rack over the tray style. The tray style has always looked so large in comparison and looks like it brings higher risk to backing it up into something. But again, I'm very unfamiliar with what's out there. My assumption is, if you spend the right money, either rack can be very good. I probably agree that I wouldn't cheap out on something like this. But then again... if it's two light bikes going on a small tube rack like OP posted, I can't really imagine it being a problem.
The tube type is 100% adequate, like I said particularly if you're carrying simpler bikes (aluminum or steel frames, not concerned about the paint) and/or you won't use it super frequently.

The big advantages of tray-type are that they're generally a lot quicker and easier to get the bike on and off in a secure way, and much less likely to damage the bike or permit the bike to damage the car (loose handlebars flopping around, bike swinging around etc.)

I had a bike pop half way off my hang-type rack repeatedly. It was a nice Thule one, not a lot cheaper than a typical tray type. First time I chalked it up as a fluke - maybe I forgot to fasten one of the straps? I was extremely diligent after than and... boom, happened again, $4000 bike half hanging off the back of my car at 65mph on the highway. It seems the bike wiggling slightly found a way to pop the rubber straps off. I had a tray rack a week later and wish I'd gotten one sooner.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 03:33 PM   #32
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
Nice. This is the one that the receiver can be removed when not in use, correct? I sorta regret getting the Slambert instead of this. I passed partly because I didn't want to take a risk and be a guinea pig to see if it would work on the 2nd gen, especially at that price. But I'm sure it would have worked fine.

The tube type is 100% adequate, like I said particularly if you're carrying simpler bikes (aluminum or steel frames, not concerned about the paint) and/or you won't use it super frequently.

The big advantages of tray-type are that they're generally a lot quicker and easier to get the bike on and off in a secure way, and much less likely to damage the bike or permit the bike to damage the car (loose handlebars flopping around, bike swinging around etc.)

I had a bike pop half way off my hang-type rack repeatedly. It was a nice Thule one, not a lot cheaper than a typical tray type. First time I chalked it up as a fluke - maybe I forgot to fasten one of the straps? I was extremely diligent after than and... boom, happened again, $4000 bike half hanging off the back of my car at 65mph on the highway. It seems the bike wiggling slightly found a way to pop the rubber straps off. I had a tray rack a week later and wish I'd gotten one sooner.
Interesting. I definitely believe you could run into issues for sure with the hang-type rack. I know some stuff was to our advantage when taking our bikes on the rack I discussed. One of which was that we had multiple bikes (always 2-4). This helped push them together and solidify their position more. We would also always put a bungie cord around all of them to really tighten things up. I also liked the two straps that hold each bike as they were a stretchable rubber type of material. We would stretch the hell out of them to make sure they were strapping each bike down at full force.

But as you mention, I can certainly see the disadvantages that you describe. Though my dads $2.5K bike never did take any damage all those years, and that was one of the bikes that always went on the trips.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
fredzy (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 06:02 PM   #33
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post

no you can still see the hitch below that black valence (right below 4th brake light) when the rack is not on. from what ive been told this style hitch may not work with all AM exhaust systems. And will not work with any diffusers. i used to have the trunk mount type and the wind blowing @ HWY speeds started to bend the metal near the glass. I also got lucky the hitch cleared my AM works AB-M exhaust, i dont think they make it anymore. dont have a 22+ yet but that's the first thing I investigate if the bolts line up to the new one.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bababooey For This Useful Post:
fredzy (01-11-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 09:52 AM   #34
Snoopysvet

Drives: 2023 Wr Blue Pearl BRZ manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How does this attach?

https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-...tch/subaru/brz
Old 01-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #35
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopysvet View Post
It sandwiches between the body and rear crash beam. Your link is broken.

Last edited by dragoontwo; 01-17-2023 at 01:11 PM.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 01:59 PM   #36
Tomyyyu

Drives:
Slambert performance mount.

1-1/4” hitch mount and that’s it!

It’s dope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tomyyyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:02 PM   #37
Tomyyyu

Drives:
Hauling a bicycle in a GR86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
Can confirm Slambert mount and hitch works well. Takes 5 minutes to install the mount and your hitch. Also, yes, the 1-1/4 receiver allows the hitch to bounce and rock, which can be unsettling. You can find a "silencer" plate that bolts around the receiver and hitch and that works okay to help some play, but it wants to loosen itself after a few uses.

Buy a safety strap that you wrap around the hitch and the bike to give you a bit more piece of mind.

My only complain is that for whatever reason the right bolt of the Slambert hitch backs out slowly and needs periodically re-tightened. I also would not attempt 2 bikes. My hitch is around 35 pounds, plus another 35 with the MTB. I could do another, but it would be sketchy.

Hm, yeah you definitely want to use a silencer.

I have a curt mount and they recommend a strap to reduce shaking. Regardless what silencer did you get so I know it fits 100%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tomyyyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:35 AM   #38
Snoopysvet

Drives: 2023 Wr Blue Pearl BRZ manual
I ended up with a 2023 BRZ Manual transmission.
In addition I purchased Slambert hitch and Allen rack. Love this car and can haul my bike.

Name:  Screenshot_20230522_072808_Gallery.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  204.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20230522_072815_Gallery.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  205.2 KB
bcj (05-22-2023)