follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #1415
manualmotive

Drives: '14 BRZ Todoroki/OriginLabo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I've been running 245/40 hankooks on 17x8.25 wheels with eibach sportline springs on stock struts (1.4" drop) for around a year (pic for fitment):

But now I'm trying to go lower and meatier with different wheels. I want it about 0.5-1 inches lower than it is now (looking to almost tuck tire). I have Stance coilovers coming in the mail with 5k/6k rates and a set of 17x9 +35 wheels sitting in my garage waiting for tires.

I was dead set on 255/40R17 federal 595 RSR's, but since they apparently run wide, that would end up being a 265ish size tire. So now I'm worried the rubbing in the front might be too bad? Looking for about -3 camber in the front, maybe more. I'm ok with some basic fender work. Let me know what you guys think... thanks

Last edited by manualmotive; 07-20-2015 at 03:20 PM.
manualmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manualmotive For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (12-19-2018), Hicklinc (02-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #1416
Albaro08

Drives: Frs asphalt Grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manualmotive View Post
So I've been running 245/40 hankooks on 17x8.25 wheels with eibach sportline springs on stock struts for around a year (pic for fitment):

But now I'm trying to go lower and meatier with different wheels. I want it about 0.5-1 inches lower than it is now (looking to almost tuck tire). I have Stance coilovers coming in the mail with 5k/6k rates and a set of 17x9 +35 wheels sitting in my garage waiting for tires.

I was dead set on 255/40R17 federal 595 RSR's, but since they apparently run wide, that would end up being a 265ish size tire. So now I'm worried the rubbing in the front might be too bad? Looking for about -3 camber in the front, maybe more. I'm ok with some basic fender work. Let me know what you guys think... thanks
235 60 with a inch drop might cut it

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
Albaro08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #1417
manualmotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albaro08 View Post
235 60 with a inch drop might cut it

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
Are you telling me to run an SUV size tire? or is that a typo for 235/40?

Anyways, the skinniest I want to go is 255, so a 245 Federal should equate to about that size. So its between a 245/40 or a 255/40 Federal. Just trying to gauge how much that extra width would fuck up my front clearance if I'm gonna be about 2-2.5" lower than stock...
Old 07-22-2015, 12:33 AM   #1418
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrharry View Post
anyone know what else i can do to prevent rubbing?Cause right now my fender is slowly chewing up the tires on dips/tight turns but driving on a nice even road is fine.

i have already rolled the front and shaved the rear & raised the car

Front: 18x10+35 with AD08r 265/35
Rear : 18x10+40 with AD08r 265/35
Front Camber -2.5
Rear Camber -2
Ride Height : 345mm From Center Bore to Fender
for starters, that front is a bit too aggressive. i'm a 9.5 +40 and it will poke a decent amount with no camber. so i can only imagine yours being 5mm more offset and .5 inches wider, especially with those tires, why did you go so big, flip the front to rear and rear to front and see if that helps...you can usually get away with a bit more in the back, and most suspensions for these cars seem to run stiffer rear rates...

what suspension are you on? how stiff are you spring rates?

you are most likely not rubbing the fender itself but are rubbing the front portion by the side markers, heat that up and pull it, that might to the trick.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #1419
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Quote:

-3 is A LOT, you absolutely DO NOT need that. if you're going with a tire that runs wide a 255 will be plenty. hell even a 245/40 will be good on a 17x9 if that tire runs wide.

i don't think the 255/40 federals will run wider than the 265/35 PSS i have now, you should be okay as long as your car isn't slammed and you rolled and slightly pulled all around, usually as you roll it will slightly pull it for you.

it just depends on if you want to deal with it to fix it, or if you want to just set it and forget it, in which case just go with a good compound in a 245/40 that runs wide, its still plenty of tire for the car.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:45 AM   #1420
mrharry

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
for starters, that front is a bit too aggressive. i'm a 9.5 +40 and it will poke a decent amount with no camber. so i can only imagine yours being 5mm more offset and .5 inches wider, especially with those tires, why did you go so big, flip the front to rear and rear to front and see if that helps...you can usually get away with a bit more in the back, and most suspensions for these cars seem to run stiffer rear rates...

what suspension are you on? how stiff are you spring rates?

you are most likely not rubbing the fender itself but are rubbing the front portion by the side markers, heat that up and pull it, that might to the trick.
Im actually running 5mm spacer in the front for inner clearance but might swap it too 3mm spacer so its 18x10 +40 all around . The reason i went for 265/35 was because it was either this or 245/40

Im running BC coilovers with 8k front 7k rear swift springs

mrharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #1421
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Quote:
Im actually running 5mm spacer in the front for inner clearance but might swap it too 3mm spacer so its 18x10 +40 all around . The reason i went for 265/35 was because it was either this or 245/40

Im running BC coilovers with 8k front 7k rear swift springs
i'm 95% positive you do not need that spacer for clearance. @OmarGC runs the same setup as you and has an even meatier tire compound and i don't think he has any spacers at all.

believe it or not the few MM will make or break you in terms of rubbing on that fender, but like i said before i'm almost certaain you are rubbing in the front where the fender meets the side marker. its gashing the side wall of your tire correct?

i just switched to MPSS in 265 on mine, and i'm rubbing in that same spot on REALLY hard dips, so what i'm going to do is heat that entire thing up and pull it.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #1422
manualmotive

Quote:
-3 is A LOT, you absolutely DO NOT need that. if you're going with a tire that runs wide a 255 will be plenty. hell even a 245/40 will be good on a 17x9 if that tire runs wide.

i don't think the 255/40 federals will run wider than the 265/35 PSS i have now, you should be okay as long as your car isn't slammed and you rolled and slightly pulled all around, usually as you roll it will slightly pull it for you.

it just depends on if you want to deal with it to fix it, or if you want to just set it and forget it, in which case just go with a good compound in a 245/40 that runs wide, its still plenty of tire for the car.
Thanks for the reply. Im aiming for around 2-2.5" inches below stock, and now Im thinking I might just give it a pretty decent pull in the front so I wont have to worry about the 255's rubbing on everything. I wasn't worried about the rears but I'll probably roll them too.

I did find some pictures of what federal's 255/40's look like on 17x9 wheels:

That looks somewhat manageable... I think its going to be around the same fender fitment as a 265/35/18 +40
The Following User Says Thank You to manualmotive For This Useful Post:
Hicklinc (02-20-2018)
Old 07-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #1423
mrharry

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
i'm 95% positive you do not need that spacer for clearance. @OmarGC runs the same setup as you and has an even meatier tire compound and i don't think he has any spacers at all.

believe it or not the few MM will make or break you in terms of rubbing on that fender, but like i said before i'm almost certaain you are rubbing in the front where the fender meets the side marker. its gashing the side wall of your tire correct?

i just switched to MPSS in 265 on mine, and i'm rubbing in that same spot on REALLY hard dips, so what i'm going to do is heat that entire thing up and pull it.
Without the spacer I won't be able to full lock the steering wheel as the tyre rubs against the chassis .

I'm actually rubbing on all four corners as it's tearing the tyres up and also the indicator part .But I'm mainly rubbing on the passenger side (left side).

I'm guessing more camber and raisng the car would be the best option at the moment ?
mrharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #1424
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Im aiming for around 2-2.5" inches below stock, and now Im thinking I might just give it a pretty decent pull in the front so I wont have to worry about the 255's rubbing on everything. I wasn't worried about the rears but I'll probably roll them too.

I did find some pictures of what federal's 255/40's look like on 17x9 wheels:

That looks somewhat manageable... I think its going to be around the same fender fitment as a 265/35/18 +40
that was a close friend of mines car, now he has a 9 second stock looking bug eye small world.

fitment would be about the sam give or take a few MM, you shouldn't need to do more than a roll in the rear, roll the front flare by the side marker and then trim the rear bumper tabs.

Quote:
Without the spacer I won't be able to full lock the steering wheel as the tyre rubs against the chassis .

I'm actually rubbing on all four corners as it's tearing the tyres up and also the indicator part .But I'm mainly rubbing on the passenger side (left side).

I'm guessing more camber and raisng the car would be the best option at the moment ?
Adding a spacer to go full lock, to me is kind of pointless because you're also effecting your scrub radius by doing so, its a give and take.

By going with such a massive tire you kind of assume the risk of not being able to go full lock, you cannot have it both ways. i personally never go full lock regardless, and how many times do you really need to do that?

The rear is most likely rubbing on the bumper portion, not the fender portion, did you trim the rear bumper tab? the front you can pull a bit out towards the side marker area i believe.

in the end running that tire, that offset, you cannot have NO wheel gap. you need at least a solid 1/4 all around if not more. i know it is not aesthetically pleasing when you hard park, but when the car is rolling it will look good and be functional.

i would personally raise it a tad, and see what happens. while camber will solve your rubbing issues, camber will keep you from using and putting down all of that tire unless you're consistently under compression from cornering so i think its kind of a give an take there too.

but if this is all done strictly from aesthetics, than if i were you i would dial in somewhere around -2 in the rear and like -2.5 in the front that should help and sold your issues. the spring rates you have are already pretty stiff, you can also invest in sway bars, but that won't make a difference for when you're going over bumps, only when you're actually cornering and compressing.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #1425
manualmotive

Quote:
that was a close friend of mines car, now he has a 9 second stock looking bug eye small world.

fitment would be about the sam give or take a few MM, you shouldn't need to do more than a roll in the rear, roll the front flare by the side marker and then trim the rear bumper tabs.
Haha! I remember following his build back when I had a hatchback WRX and wanted the same fitment. Good to see he's part of the shrinking subaru population that actually make their cars fast lol.

Do you think I'd lose the ability to go full lock with this tire setup? Because I wanted to be able to throw some drift spares on the rear and still have some sideways fun every now and then
Old 07-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #1426
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
17x9 +35 RPF1
245 40s

Average Meaty, hoping to dial in some more negative camber. Currently around -1.4 in the front. However i'm on springs not coils anyone have any luck getting any more negative camber?
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #1427
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
17x9 +35 RPF1
245 40s

Average Meaty, hoping to dial in some more negative camber. Currently around -1.4 in the front. However i'm on springs not coils anyone have any luck getting any more negative camber?
Camber plates($$$) or a pair or two of camber bolts. One pair should give you about .8 or so of camber.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:13 PM   #1428
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Camber plates($$$) or a pair or two of camber bolts. One pair should give you about .8 or so of camber.
I'm running white line camber bolts, but I'm more worried about the camber hitting the spring perch at anything past -1.5

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote