follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
BlueBlazeRacer

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
KW V3's VS MCA REDS?

I'm still trying to decide which coilovers to go with for my STX prep. I'm just trying to get a little more information. I'm leaning towards the KW V3's but only because it looks like a majority of the racers are using them. You cant always be faster if you car running the same parts as everyone else so I'm looking at other options. Can anyone give any input on MCA REDS? I'm slightly worried about support since they are based out of Australia.
BlueBlazeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
No input on those, but KWs are probably the best bang for your buck in terms of a tested product and performance.

Im also in the same situation. V3s, b18s, and someone told me to get the Ohlins.....
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
mca is considerably better quality
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D K For This Useful Post:
CSG David (04-15-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
BlueBlazeRacer

Im looking at the pro's and con's and the MCA's at least come with camber plates. Where are the adjusters on the MCA's and how do you adjust the settings?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
major quicknap

Drives: blue sardine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlazeRacer View Post
You cant always be faster if you car running the same parts as everyone else
I am suggesting that the driver would have more influence on results than the difference between these two dampers.

Quote:
Im looking at the pro's and con's and the MCA's at least come with camber plates. Where are the adjusters on the MCA's and how do you adjust the settings?
The fronts are adjustable from the bottom and the rears from the top. They are easy to adjust on vehicle. They are single adjustable that alter both rebound and compression at the same time. This can be seen as an advantage or disadvantage depending on your opinion and/or skill level at adjusting 2-way dampers. According to Murray Coote (the owner/designer of MCA) it is not possible to get accurate/low cross talk separate compression and rebound adjustment at this price point. A nice feature is there is camber adjustment on the lower mount as well as on the camber plates.

MCAs are very highly regarded here but objectively I do not know where they stand as I have never seen any independent testing done on them. I have Reds fitted to my car and I'm happy with them but I can't compare them to anything else.

If you did get them you would be up for freight in two directions if you ever needed work carried out on them as there is no support for them in the States.

(I think you should get them so you can lend your car car to CSG Mike to get an appraisal.)
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
KW Var3 has a lifetime warranty vs. the reds 2 year warranty. That in itself is worth it. Plus the double adjust-ability of the KW's with both Rebound and Compression make for better way to dial in..which I guess the reds have also...Spring rates are relatively competitive out of the box on the KW's.. not sure on reds.. guess it depends on how serious your build is, Is it a national level build or something local.

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
major quicknap

Drives: blue sardine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
Plus the double adjust-ability of the KW's with both Rebound and Compression make for better way to dial in..which I guess the reds have also...
This makes no sense. You say the KWs are better because they have 2 way adjustability then you guess the Reds do as well.

As I said in my post above the Reds have single adjustment that does compression and rebound simultaneously.

Rates on the Reds are 6kg/mm front and rear.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
it depends on how the reds are valved.. ..even tho they have dual adjust-ability... the valving could totally suck..the valving has to somewhat match the springrates.. but since there are no spring rates listed..its a crapshoot

Bill
Old 04-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
oh.. 6k and 6k.. that seems a bit 'lite' compared to most I know. most competitive spring rates are at least 7k at both ends..
Old 04-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
BlueBlazeRacer

National Level build Bill. Right now Im trying to catch up with Annies build. If I can get the build done in time I will be headed to Crows Landing, Packwood, and Lincoln.

I can get either set for the same price so it comes down to features. The Reds come with camber plates so that's a plus but having the adjuster on the bottom kinda sucks. I don't want to be laying in a puddle while I change the dampening.
If I went with the V3's I would have to pick out camber plates(leaning towards RaceSeng). RaceComp Engineering and Ohlins are also options I've been looking into. Why is this so hard?
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueBlazeRacer For This Useful Post:
Scooby South (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
National Level build Bill. Right now Im trying to catch up with Annies build. If I can get the build done in time I will be headed to Crows Landing, Packwood, and Lincoln.

I can get either set for the same price so it comes down to features. The Reds come with camber plates so that's a plus but having the adjuster on the bottom kinda sucks. I don't want to be laying in a puddle while I change the dampening.
If I went with the V3's I would have to pick out camber plates(leaning towards RaceSeng). RaceComp Engineering and Ohlins are also options I've been looking into. Why is this so hard?
Because you want to be as competitive as you can...thats why.. chances are if they are 6k/6k.. they should be able to handle 7 or 8k springs.. Annie's build is fairly similar to most of ours already. She's on KW's.. with 7k springs at both ends. the raceeng plates are nice.. for sure..just not sure they are $400 nice.. Racecomp's Tarmac 2's is also a viable choice. they come with 400lb springs already. .. Is MCA willing to send you a shock dyno sheet??
We are all so close right now.. MCS, KW Var 3, RaceComp Tarmac2's...those are whats on most peoples right now.. there the occasional odd Feal singles out there.. Haven't seen any Ohlin's out in competition yet.. or the MCA's.. Hope you get what works well

Bill
Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Shouldve stuck to street class! (then you wouldnt have to race annie either).
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
BlueBlazeRacer

Im not worried about Annie. I would ask for a co drive if I wasn't worried about beating her with her own car.

There should be around 4-5 BRZ/FR-S National STX cars coming out of the Washington/Oregon region. Each already having Co-drivers makes for 8-10 drivers to watch out for.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
Im not worried about Annie. I would ask for a co drive if I wasn't worried about beating her with her own car.

There should be around 4-5 BRZ/FR-S National STX cars coming out of the Washington/Oregon region. Each already having Co-drivers makes for 8-10 drivers to watch out for.
Whatcha doing for Spring Nats...

Bill