follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #15
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had success on a slip joint years ago using Acousti Seal. Its basically a black tar that gets really thick under heat https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...ound-5oz-tube/

I am looking at the groupe s header and will get a tube of this stuff if I go in that direction to seal the slip joint
Old 06-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #16
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
I had success on a slip joint years ago using Acousti Seal. Its basically a black tar that gets really thick under heat
Did you have to pull the slip joint apart to apply it? Mine's been on for 3 years so it may not want to come apart. I guess new would be the time to do it.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceHeader-MT View Post
A simple fix to maybe solve slip joint leaks (cheap and easy):

- Use a pipe expander, crank out the inner tube and apply furnace cement. Then insert back into joint.

Furnace cement will harden and look ugly but if you ever want to remove (or sell) just wire brush and it'll come right off, no damage to tubing.

Outside of that, I can't think of any simple solutions. Welding them would be a bad idea.

Good luck and hope it works out. Any questions let us know
I'm curious as to why welding them is a bad idea. I understand the purpose is to allow for expansion (atleast I believe so) but I have seen many header designs UEL and EL with no slip joint or flex pipe so is it really needed?

From back in my Audi days the commonly referenced advice was to have 1 flex pipe somewhere in the system which most people ran it in the downpipe. Maybe it is because they use a cast manifold design but for welding the slip joints shut or on any other header without them would running a flex pipe in the front pipe or somewhere else suitable be a good idea?
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #18
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The Acousti seal looks like a good idea, I don't know how long that would last for though?

@Detroiter, I think UEL headers are more susceptible to thermal stress due to their shape, the longer runners are going to expand more than the short. Most UEL headers have a expansion joint, the only exceptions I know on the top of my head are JDL and FT86SF headers.

I'm surprised this subject doesn't pop up more often on here. It doesn't take long to find a ton of threads on Impreza forums.
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Varelco For This Useful Post:
Detroiter (06-20-2017)