follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Seibon CSL trunk feedback

I'm on the verge of ordering this trunk, but reviews are a bit scarce. My understanding is that Seibon parts have some considerable variance in build quality. I have seen some bad examples for other parts, namely hoods, but was wondering if anyone has any good or bad comments specifically in regard to fitment of the CSL trunk on the 86. From what I've seen on the internet they all fit pretty good, or at least seem good enough for me. I don't mind drilling holes, or having to make a bunch of small adjustments, but I would like the part to have a good fit after those things are done.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
I'm on the verge of ordering this trunk, but reviews are a bit scarce. My understanding is that Seibon parts have some considerable variance in build quality. I have seen some bad examples for other parts, namely hoods, but was wondering if anyone has any good or bad comments specifically in regard to fitment of the CSL trunk on the 86. From what I've seen on the internet they all fit pretty good, or at least seem good enough for me. I don't mind drilling holes, or having to make a bunch of small adjustments, but I would like the part to have a good fit after those things are done.
Ive had two Seibon OEM style trunks. The first one fit like a glove. The second one required ~1/16" worth of washers to get perfectly aligned. I'd say for a partially hand made item, that variance ain't too bad. I'd buy again with confidence.

One caveat, remember to keep these carbon items coated with UV wax (monthly) or spray with automotive clear with UV protection. Guaranteed on these trunks the factory gel coat will get cloudy if left unprotected and you'll have to fix it.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (11-07-2017), gtengr (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Ive had two Seibon OEM style trunks. The first one fit like a glove. The second one required ~1/16" worth of washers to get perfectly aligned. I'd say for a partially hand made item, that variance ain't too bad. I'd buy again with confidence.

One caveat, remember to keep these carbon items coated with UV wax (monthly) or spray with automotive clear with UV protection. Guaranteed on these trunks the factory gel coat will get cloudy if left unprotected and you'll have to fix it.
Thanks! I can definitely deal with washer mods and other small things I can do to get a good fit. Forgot to mention I'll be painting too so no concerns about UV protection or small weave imperfections.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
HachiRolle

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The fitment on my CSL trunk is pretty good all around. I had to do the usual things like shaving down a couple areas to get the license plate lights to clip in properly, along with cutting the hole out for the reverse camera. Only issue I haven’t been able to solve is the trunk rubbing against the driver side tail light.
HachiRolle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HachiRolle For This Useful Post:
gtengr (11-07-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Never had issues with the Seibon trunks. Very popular item, minor adjustments are sometimes needed for alignment but overall very solid, order with confidence.

Feel free to PM if interested. Can check availability and confirm details.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ModBargains.com For This Useful Post:
gtengr (11-12-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRolle View Post
The fitment on my CSL trunk is pretty good all around. I had to do the usual things like shaving down a couple areas to get the license plate lights to clip in properly, along with cutting the hole out for the reverse camera. Only issue I haven’t been able to solve is the trunk rubbing against the driver side tail light.
I have this problem with mine on the passenger side tail light. it squeaks and is kind of annoying but I've been too lazy to try and do anything about it...
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote