follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Djratrap

Drives: BRZ CSB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Stay Away From Subaru Of Puyallup Service Dept.

Let me give you a little background about my situation.

I recently encountered the dreaded p0016 CEL and traction off lights at 39k-ish miles. Upon further research i found that this is a "common" issue and my warranty would take care of it.
I took my vehicle to Subaru of Puyallup to get it checked out. First they re-flashed my ECU which did not resolve the issue. They then inspected the oil valves and noticed some clogging. They claim that it was because of my oil change i performed myself and because i didn't use a factory filter. After flushing my engine (not necessary and $160) the light came back on. With further inspection they "noticed gunk" on the cam gear and decided to replace that and my ECU. We all know that the cam goes bad because of other reasons, but they put the blame on me. After speaking with corporate for many days, i got nowhere.
The dealership was claiming that i didn't perform my regular interval oil change and that i have to pay for the engine flush. Regardless of the fact that I have an after-market filter which would indicate that i changed my oil in between the last dealership oil change (f@cking stupid). I was pretty livid. They also claim that the cam gear issue is because i didn't change my oil in recommended intervals. I am pretty furious right now, but at least they are replacing my cam gear and ECU under warranty. I'm never going to that dealer again for any service. I had a great purchasing experience through them, but the service department can suck my d!ck (excuse my French).

***STAY AWAY FROM SUBARU OF PUYALLUP SERVICE DEPARTMENT.***

I've had two master tech friends also question the engine flush. I'm sure you guys already know this, but keep all oil change receipts outside of the dealer changes, or they will use it against you. I've also spoken with other Subie friends who said they had similar issues (not needed engine flushes) with this particular dealer.

Slightly off topic, but they charge $85 for an oil change and Carter charges $65, i'm just sayin'...
Djratrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry to hear about your experience. But I'm pretty sure that's how dealerships go around their business. They deny or displace blame onto any "non-dealership" maintenance work and only treat you well if you have a frequent service record with them. Either way, they will overcharge you for unnecessary parts and services. Knowledgeable customers will get thrown into fine print policies and naive customers will consistently get nickel and dimed.

Dealerships' bread and butter are their service departments. It's no surprise when they try and screw a customer over.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m.box.design For This Useful Post:
Djratrap (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
illicitstylz

Drives: 2014 FRS - Whiteout - 6spd MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
how far off from the oil change intervals were you?
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Djratrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitstylz View Post
how far off from the oil change intervals were you?

I wasn't, i just changed my oil 5k ago. Dealer recommended every 7500.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #5
alliedcam1

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear you had such an issue. I've never had any problems with these guys. They actually replaced my engine when it blew up and I had no problems with them throughout that process.
alliedcam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Djratrap

*Update*
So i got my car back and everything seems to be okay. They replaced 2 cam gears with pretty decent turn around. The service department also redeemed itself and decided not to charge me for the engine flush.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:00 AM   #7
Djratrap

Update #2, so the cell came back on for a P000B code (after putting rougly 2k on the new cam gears). I'm not sure what to do? My car is out of lemon law, mileage too high. I'm calling corporate in the morning. I took the car back to Subaru Puyallup today and they said it was a "not tightened gas cap." They code came back on about and hour after leaving the dealership. When i got home i ran the obd2 reader on it and pulled that code. Def not a gas cap.