follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2023, 10:13 PM   #1
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Modified Exhaust - Fix It Ticket

Heyo figure I'll see if I have any options here....

I got pulled over tonight by an officer basically who is just looking for modified vehicles to pull over in OC, he was about as nice as you could be about it but he gave me a ticket for "modified exhaust" and checked the "correctable violation" box. I was not breaking the law in anyway, he just pulled me over beacuse my vehicle was modified.

I told him that I only have a cat-back exhaust and that he was welcome to pop the hood because the rest is stock. He told me that ANY exhaust modification is illegal even if it's after the cats. Is this true? Haven't heard of such a law, and my cat-back is within the decibel limit of CA.

Any reasonable way to fight this or should I just swap to stock and get it inspected at CHP/Local PD.

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:20 PM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
Heyo figure I'll see if I have any options here....

I got pulled over tonight by an officer basically who is just looking for modified vehicles to pull over in OC, he was about as nice as you could be about it but he gave me a ticket for "modified exhaust" and checked the "correctable violation" box. I was not breaking the law in anyway, he just pulled me over beacuse my vehicle was modified.

I told him that I only have a cat-back exhaust and that he was welcome to pop the hood because the rest is stock. He told me that ANY exhaust modification is illegal even if it's after the cats. Is this true? Haven't heard of such a law, and my cat-back is within the decibel limit of CA.

Any reasonable way to fight this or should I just swap to stock and get it inspected at CHP/Local PD.
Most traffic cops know jack about car mod regulations, and they are trying to intimidate you.

It's legal to have an exhaust in California as long as it has a muffler of some kind and doesn't exceed 95 dBA at approx 4ft (the CA BAR has a specific inspection OI).

----

I'm not sure about your specifics here, and I'm not that well versed in the legal proceedings.

Does the ticket require you to show up at a referee? Can the referee inspect your car and essentially release you from your ticket?

These are questions you might seek additional help with.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 10:45 PM   #3
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Most traffic cops know jack about car mod regulations, and they are trying to intimidate you.

It's legal to have an exhaust in California as long as it has a muffler of some kind and doesn't exceed 95 dBA at approx 4ft (the CA BAR has a specific inspection OI).

----

I'm not sure about your specifics here, and I'm not that well versed in the legal proceedings.

Does the ticket require you to show up at a referee? Can the referee inspect your car and essentially release you from your ticket?

These are questions you might seek additional help with.
Yeah I totally get the intimidation thing it's just dumb cause I'm total within my legal limits to modify car and now I have to potentially waste my time and money.

No state ref, it's a fix it ticket so you fix it and go have your local pd or chp inspect it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:32 AM   #4
Falkon240

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
https://www.californiacarlaws.com/exhaust-noise/

IG
2013 Scion FR-S