follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
JARE_ee
Alaska Roll Lover

Drives: Blue.Series.Aozora
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Swapping FR-S Headlights with BRZ Headlights

Hello everyone,

I know there a multiple old threads on this forum, but i tried contacting and messaging everyone who had done this swap, but all their profiles have inactivity for almost 12 months.

Has anyone who is active, or recently swapped their FR-S headlights with BRZ ones?

I recently and fortunately to come across a pair of BRZ headlights that were made available at a discounted price and local! but i don't want to buy it and be screwed.

I am not very good with cars, so this project will definitely be outside my comfort zone.

If anyone has any idea, or what additional cables i required that would be helpful, or if have any comment in regards to the swap it would be reassuring for me before i make the dive!

Cheers!
JARE_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JARE_ee For This Useful Post:
BabaYaga (06-22-2021)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
SC David
Bloberator

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I'm in the process of sourcing parts for this swap. I bought headlights last week, got them for pretty cheap, but they came without D4S ballasts and bulbs, and lack a few other odds and ends. So, it's a minor pain in the ass and it's taking me a while. Anyone looking at this in the future, try to buy complete assemblies!

If you have the complete assemblies including ballasts and bulbs, basically all you need to do is order the 6 pin connector to repin the BRZ headlight's 8 pin to the 6pin setup on of the FR-S (part number 90980-11033), or repin the FR-S stock connector to an 8 pin to fit the BRZ headlights (part number 90980-10897). I'm going with the latter.

This guy took the same approach:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_QbgWHbnpk"]BRZ Headlight Install on FR-S - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a wiring diagram:

GT = FR-S

Old 08-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #3
JARE_ee
Alaska Roll Lover

Wow, Thanks man this is perfect with video tutorial too!

Can't thank you enough this is exact what i needed to know!
Old 08-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
This would also depend on what FRS headlight you are starting off with. In the video he has the OEM HID so hence the 6 to 8 pin conversion. If you have halogens it would be different.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
JARE_ee
Alaska Roll Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
This would also depend on what FRS headlight you are starting off with. In the video he has the OEM HID so hence the 6 to 8 pin conversion. If you have halogens it would be different.

It looks like based on the video... he was swapping a winjet headlight.. i don't think it was OEM HID or GT86 headlights.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
JARE_ee
Alaska Roll Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC David View Post
I'm in the process of sourcing parts for this swap. I bought headlights last week, got them for pretty cheap, but they came without D4S ballasts and bulbs, and lack a few other odds and ends. So, it's a minor pain in the ass and it's taking me a while. Anyone looking at this in the future, try to buy complete assemblies!

If you have the complete assemblies including ballasts and bulbs, basically all you need to do is order the 6 pin connector to repin the BRZ headlight's 8 pin to the 6pin setup on of the FR-S (part number 90980-11033), or repin the FR-S stock connector to an 8 pin to fit the BRZ headlights (part number 90980-10897). I'm going with the latter.

Here's a wiring diagram:

GT = FR-S

I have the complete headlight like in the video but they used part # 90980-10897

Is that the one i buy to connect to my Stock FR-S?

Correct me if i am wrong, but you said in your post to get part number 90980-11033

Double checking before i make the purchase on the connectors!

Thank you!
Old 03-31-2023, 09:23 PM   #7
q335r49

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC David View Post

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_QbgWHbnpk"]BRZ Headlight Install on FR-S - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a wiring diagram:

GT = FR-S

So I just did the swap on a 13 FRS to 13 brz lights; this is a good chart but there are a few errors

1) left and right are swapped in this chart, so when the chart says left it means passenger side and right in the chart is driver side

2) pin 2 and pin 3 on the 8 pin brz connector are swapped (for both left and right plugs). If you look at the brz connector you will immediately recognize that pin 3 is blank. Pin 2 should be the parking light.

3) fyi, all pin orientations are female

4) You should, IMO, go "full brz" and hook up the red blinker wire to the brz plug, and turn the current FRS blinkers into DRLs. I.e., if you leave the blinkers youll have 4 blinkers (2 unused) but no place for DRL's

5) I believe the best place to tap the DRL signal is by removing the current DRL resistor and getting the signal from there and putting LEDs between there and chassis ground. I haven't done this yet though. I thought about just hotwiring the resistor so you have full high beams as DRL's but that sounds like a really bad ideal lol
q335r49 is offline   Reply With Quote