follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2023, 07:43 PM   #1
KiK

Drives: 19’ GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P3 V3 OBD gauge vs Standlone Gauge

Hello guys,

I've tried to search for this topic but could not find anything conclusive.

I'm debating whether I should go for a P3 V3 OBD gauge or a Standalone gauge (like a AEM Wideband UEGO) for AFR monitoring.

I want to keep the look as OEM as possible but at the same time I want accurate readings.

What's your opinion on this?
KiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:07 PM   #2
macuser27

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

https://www.autometer.com/scion-frs-...-dash-pod.html
macuser27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:57 PM   #3
KiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
Thanks for the insight, I will still be running a boost gauge and an oil pressure gauge, which pod I will use I'm still not sure but your comment does not help a let regarding how good are OBD gauges.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:24 AM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
OBD gauges are nice because there's a lot of info available. OBD gauges are also not good because they are limited to the sensors already existing, and they are using the OBD port that you may sometimes need for other things (depending on who you are). You can have the stock 02 sensors recalibrated to read lower in the af/r range with tuning software.

TL;DR-

OBD2 gauges- less wiring, limited to stock parameters, multi-function, can only have 1

Standalone gauges- More wiring, nearly unlimited in function w/ appropriately matched sensors, typically limited to 1 or 2 functions, can have as many as you want
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
KiK (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 02:48 PM   #5
terboboost

Drives: 2013 BRZ HKS Turbo
Depends on how critical AFR monitoring is for you. The OEM ECU already monitors AFR, and adjusts much faster then you can perceive. It's very difficult, and not very practical to read AFR while under heavy throttle. If you are just looking to make sure you are in the range of good AFR, the oem setup can be just fine with an OBD gauge (as noted, ecu should be adjusted to read richer AFR then standard). The OEM sensor is very accurate.

If, you are running a high strung high hp setup, it may be beneficial to have a redundant reading to the OEM, in that case, you'll want a second o2 sensor and gauge.

(Assuming mild street/track setup) I'd suggest not monitoring AFR in real time at all, instead occasionally checking your STFT and LTFT to ensure all is well.
KiK (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 06:47 PM   #6
KiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by terboboost View Post
Depends on how critical AFR monitoring is for you. The OEM ECU already monitors AFR, and adjusts much faster then you can perceive. It's very difficult, and not very practical to read AFR while under heavy throttle. If you are just looking to make sure you are in the range of good AFR, the oem setup can be just fine with an OBD gauge (as noted, ecu should be adjusted to read richer AFR then standard). The OEM sensor is very accurate.

If, you are running a high strung high hp setup, it may be beneficial to have a redundant reading to the OEM, in that case, you'll want a second o2 sensor and gauge.

(Assuming mild street/track setup) I'd suggest not monitoring AFR in real time at all, instead occasionally checking your STFT and LTFT to ensure all is well.

I'm prepping the car and doing support mods but the end goal would be a turbo setup (looking at the greddy t518z) for around 300-ish WHP. I believe that's what you would call "mild". Running rich is not my concern, but running lean on high load scenarios is what I'm afraid of.

My goal with having an AFR gauge is to serve as last defense in case something goes wrong with the tune/boost controller/vaccum/whatever.

I will be installing a standalone boost gauge and a oil pressure gauge. But I feel like with just these two I don't really have an insight about what's going on inside the engine.