follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2023, 05:54 PM   #435
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Charted: Tesla’s Unrivaled Profit Margins

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cha...rofit-margins/

Old 03-17-2023, 07:51 PM   #436
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Sandy gets excited after Tesla's investment day. Could Tesla make a $25k car?
Admittedly I could be wrong here since I've only watched a couple of videos with him in it, but when is Sandy NOT excited about Tesla?

Quote:
Charted: Tesla’s Unrivaled Profit Margins

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cha...rofit-margins/
I couldn't tell from the chart or the article but is the site including the dealer profit margin in this chart? Remember GM (and legacy OEMs for the most part) or wholesalers, not retailers. Yes, this is benefitting Tesla for their bottom line, but how much money is the entire supply chain making off the car, not just the manufacturer?

I would guess Tesla still makes more per car, but is this a true representation of the money made off a vehicle?

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-18-2023), soundman98 (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 01:39 AM   #437
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Admittedly I could be wrong here since I've only watched a couple of videos with him in it, but when is Sandy NOT excited about Tesla?
Most of the time he is excited, but he has been critical of a number of items in Tesla teardowns over the years, especially in the beginning. He loves the engineering and the speed of innovation, and he also loves seeing some of his own suggestions finally coming to fruition. He suggested manufactures go to 48v a long time ago and do a number of things including castings.

https://leandesign.com/history-of-lean-design/

While he is a Tesla investor and bull, and that makes him biased for sure, he owns a company that analyzes components to sell reports about how things were built and what it costs, so manufactures can copy these components and/or know what their competition is doing. If he is wrong or is lying then that is very bad for business and the integrity of his products.

Quote:
I couldn't tell from the chart or the article but is the site including the dealer profit margin in this chart? Remember GM (and legacy OEMs for the most part) or wholesalers, not retailers. Yes, this is benefitting Tesla for their bottom line, but how much money is the entire supply chain making off the car, not just the manufacturer?

I would guess Tesla still makes more per car, but is this a true representation of the money made off a vehicle?
Most people consider dealer, new-car sales as a losing business with them making a few hundred dollars off of the cars, but at a loss when all expenses are considered. They mostly make their money off of warranties, service, parts, financing, etc. Manufactures only make a few thousand and make their money on parts, financing, etc. Tesla has the advantage of selling software too like Autopilot and FSD or any other features through their UI, and they are much more vertically integrated, and yes, they are capturing more of the profits because of that. That is the point.

If you are trying to ask which business model provides the most profit for a $50k product, well yes, this article isn't answering that question. It is entirely possible that Tesla is making $10k, all other suppliers are making $5k, and $35k is lost to expenses, but maybe an equivalent ICE car has $2k in manufacture profits, $500 in dealer profits, all the other suppliers are making $20k, and $27.5k is lost to expenses. That would be an interesting study to do to consider the long term industry impacts. You would want to consider the aftermarket industry of exhausts, turbos, superchargers, headers, etc into that calculation too. Ultimately, none of that will stop governments from pushing EVs or manufactures from switching to a similar business model, especially if Tesla has the profits to innovate faster or to drop the prices beyond the competition.
Dadhawk (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 10:07 AM   #438
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

@Irace86.2.0 that all makes sense. It would also be interesting to know if Tesla's very profitable business of selling environmental "credits" is included in this. Basically, is it just the selling price of a single unit minus "real cost of building a unit" or is it the corporations profits divided by the number of cars sold.

In the end, the "old school" way of selling cars and making a profit is very different than the Tesla model. I'm not really sure you can do a direct and accurate comparison between them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 12:33 PM   #439
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
@Irace86.2.0 that all makes sense. It would also be interesting to know if Tesla's very profitable business of selling environmental "credits" is included in this. Basically, is it just the selling price of a single unit minus "real cost of building a unit" or is it the corporations profits divided by the number of cars sold.

In the end, the "old school" way of selling cars and making a profit is very different than the Tesla model. I'm not really sure you can do a direct and accurate comparison between them.
My assumption is this is just an analysis of the profit on the cars, and it is not a derivative of all profit, as Tesla is technically much more than an automobile manufacturer. With that said, Tesla does have that source of revenue that can feed into its profits and be a source for reinvestment.

I’m very much against the selling of carbon credits. It is hypocritical of Tesla to sell carbon credits in light of their mission statement “to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.” Seems like they are just enabling the further existence of ICE vehicles, but saying no to $1.7 billion in carbon credit sales would also be a hard pill to swallow and difficult to explain to investors, so in that respect, I’m not surprised. Maybe people who love their ICE vehicles should be thanking Tesla. Although, paying Tesla carbon credits in order to avoid steeper fines is probably not a sustainable business model. It probably could work for Ferrari, but not for direct competitors, so bolstering green companies regardless probably still has the same effects over time. It just seems dirty.

Even if it is not an apples to apples comparison, I’m sure someone at the corporate financial analysis department is doing their best to come up with an accurate analysis to make sure the company won’t be rendered obsolete or be missing opportunities for growth/profit.
Dadhawk (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 06:39 PM   #440
Irace86.2.0

Old 03-21-2023, 10:27 PM   #441
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Having followed the war in Ukraine for the last year plus, the cyber truck resembles an APC or a tank in how everything is angled to reduce direct horizontal impact.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-22-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 02:21 PM   #442
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A 4-people interview on Top Gear with Mate Rimac, Christian von Koenigsegg, Gordon Murray and John Hennessey, they had a question about Elon Musk. Somewhat relevant here :-)

Quote:
ELON MUSK, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE MAN? IS HE A GOOD OR A BAD THING FOR THE CAR INDUSTRY?

CvK: I mean, he’s otherworldly in many ways. What that man has managed to achieve... if you made it up as a story, no one would believe it. If anyone has proved you can do anything and multiple things simultaneously, it’s Elon, right? Of course he’s a character, but what he did to the car industry, he just shook it up completely. A few years ago, people said the electric car is never going to happen. Now, it’s the only thing, and without Elon and Tesla that would never have happened. I think that’s a good thing for the planet and for the automotive industry. And it’s pretty cool that one day we can go to Mars as well.

GM: I’ve met him a couple of times, one of the meetings was about potentially working together a few years back, and he is incredibly driven... he’s probably the most driven guy I think I’ve ever met and that’s saying something because I’m a bit single minded at times. The brave thing for me was there weren’t start-ups in those days in high volume car manufacturing, to be a start-up with a brand new powertrain, I mean... you have to admire the man.

MR: I also met Elon a couple of times and we wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for him. I was following it from day one, when Tesla stocks were $20 flat for a long time. He gets lots of criticism, saying he’s just an investor, that other people are doing all the work, but the one thing that’s different with Tesla to everybody else is Elon, just Elon; the way he runs the business, his bold visions and then the execution. He has this big global picture, a drive to make life multiplanetary, but can also drill into the details like few others. Five, six years ago, Tesla was being ridiculed – it had bad panel gaps, it doesn’t make good cars...

JH: They still have bad panel gaps.

MR: Yeah, but now everyone is chasing it. He’s a human, he makes mistakes. He might have announced things that didn’t happen or happened too late, and made early promises about self-driving cars, but he has accomplished lots of things and changed the industry completely.

JH: The more he fails, the more he succeeds. I love his courage and I’m proud that he’s a fellow Texan now – he lives up the road in Austin. Whether it’s Tesla, SpaceX, now Twitter, I love that he’s a free speech libertarian kind of guy. Again, he’s human and he fails like we all fail. And when he fails, it’s in the public eye, but just think of the value, the jobs and the technology that he’s created. As an entrepreneur, I have huge admiration for this guy, he’s the king of the double down. You’d have to literally bury him in a hole to stop him from doing whatever he’s trying to do.

MR: He’s also worth billions and billions, like hundreds of billions. So it’s admirable that while he could do anything he wants, he is committing his life and working day and night to push the world forward.

TG: I think this is probably the right moment for me to introduce our special guest... please welcome Elon Musk! Actually, sorry, he was washing his hair today. Couldn’t make it.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 12:25 PM   #443
Irace86.2.0

Old 04-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #444
Irace86.2.0

Fake Cybertruck crash
https://www.carscoops.com/2023/04/te...st-on-twitter/

Breakdown from Munro's channel:
Old 04-20-2023, 10:37 PM   #445
Irace86.2.0

New Model 3 front looks much better. The current headlights are a gripe of most people.

Giant windshield wiper on the Cybertruck seems ripe for ripping off by EV haters, I predict.

Attached Images

Old 04-21-2023, 09:49 AM   #446
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
New Model 3 front looks much better. The current headlights are a gripe of most people.
New front end has some promise to get past my objections to the external of the Model 3. The compact car looks promising too. Still, very unlikely I'll ever get past the interior design.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (04-21-2023), MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 11:06 AM   #447
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm going to start a business that supplies stick-on grills for electric vehicles. To me, Teslas look like they have a duck bill.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 01:25 PM   #448
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
New front end has some promise to get past my objections to the external of the Model 3. The compact car looks promising too. Still, very unlikely I'll ever get past the interior design.
The leaked pic kinda makes the Tesla look like an old Chrysler 200 lol.

God i hate the entire "Samey" trend that is plaguing the current car design.......

Every car is moving towards that "double ultrawide screen" interior and no more physical buttons so they all look the same except for interior shapes.
Every exterior seems to have to have "full width slit light bar that connects the headlights" front end.....especially EV's.
Or it looks like some variation of a Tesla.....

Removing grilles seems to indicate that grilles were largely responsible for differentiating exterior front fascias lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-21-2023), Lantanafrs2 (04-25-2023), Spuds (04-25-2023), wbradley (04-21-2023)

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers