follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2023, 01:12 AM   #421
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New California Engineering HQ at old HP facility.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:35 PM   #422
Irace86.2.0

And

Tesla officially opens Superchargers to non-Tesla EV owners in the US and explains how it works
https://electrek.co/2023/02/28/tesla...-how-it-works/

EDIT: I don't think any automotive manufacture is doing what they are doing. I think they will be making far cheaper, while being more profitable. They just seem far more ahead. They are building the cars smarter and cheaper. They are building factories smaller and more efficient. They are verticling integrating most manufacturing of critical parts of the car. They are extracting huge amounts of data from the fleet to do everything from providing services, developing FSD, coming to decisions about the need for the size of future batteries, the ability to remove parts like the sunroof because people aren't using it, going to a 48v system, etc. They are moving at the speed of startups, and I really don't see any other manufacture catching up without a patented innovation. The crazy thing is Tesla is modeling everything they are doing for others to follow, and only some manufactures are trying to do it like doing castings, but this is all so disruptive, it is kind of crazy. It would be interesting to know how other manufactures are growing their companies in similar ways.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 03-01-2023 at 11:58 PM.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:50 AM   #423
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Tesla officially opens Superchargers to non-Tesla EV owners in the US and explains how it works
https://electrek.co/2023/02/28/tesla...-how-it-works/
Smart move on Tesla's part, and I'm sure it's always been a part of their strategy. It really should be a separate company and not tied to the vehicle though. I believe it has reached the point where it will be sustainable on it's own. If/when I get an EV I will be a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
EDIT: I don't think any automotive manufacture is doing what they are doing. I think they will be making far cheaper, while being more profitable. They just seem far more ahead. They are building the cars smarter and cheaper. They are building factories smaller and more efficient. They are verticling integrating most manufacturing of critical parts of the car. They are extracting huge amounts of data from the fleet to do everything from providing services, developing FSD, coming to decisions about the need for the size of future batteries, the ability to remove parts like the sunroof because people aren't using it, going to a 48v system, etc. They are moving at the speed of startups, and I really don't see any other manufacture catching up without a patented innovation. The crazy thing is Tesla is modeling everything they are doing for others to follow, and only some manufactures are trying to do it like doing castings, but this is all so disruptive, it is kind of crazy. It would be interesting to know how other manufactures are growing their companies in similar ways.
Can't disagree with all that except to say that's all well and good but I still don't like their idea of car design. I'll likely never own a Tesla because of it. But, hey someone has to innovate to keep everyone else moving.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 01:16 PM   #424
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Smart move on Tesla's part, and I'm sure it's always been a part of their strategy. It really should be a separate company and not tied to the vehicle though. I believe it has reached the point where it will be sustainable on it's own. If/when I get an EV I will be a customer.

Can't disagree with all that except to say that's all well and good but I still don't like their idea of car design. I'll likely never own a Tesla because of it. But, hey someone has to innovate to keep everyone else moving.
Like releasing their patents, or like how they mentioned giving their insights into mining to that industry, their company mission is to accelerate EV adoption. They know what will slow this down, and right now, having access to superchargers is likely going to slow down EV adoption, especially for people who live in apartment complexes and who can't home charge or who have abnormally long commutes. As you know, their charging network is far more robust and superior to third party suppliers in terms of consistency, user experience, and from what the video says, it seems like they are working aggressively to lower costs and use green sourced energy.

I don't know why it would need to be a separate company. There are Samsung TVs, phones, refrigerator, clothing, medical equipment, etc. Yamaha has motorcycles and speakers. Ford provided PPE with their logos on them. Frankly, it is good advertising for their cars because the user experience at the chargers might persuade people to wonder about the user experience in the cars.

Like they said, the Model 3 over five years is cheaper than a Corolla. Whether that includes subsidies or not is not clear, and I wouldn't be surprised if they include that into their calculations, considering the history of their MO, but I can foresee them surpassing parity to ICEs in the near future and being capable of offering a significantly cheaper car than competitors; at that point, even if the car is everywhere and people aren't interested in the aesthetics or brand, if it is $5k, $7, $10k cheaper than competitors (which they won't have to do), would people still not want the car. People like to drive something unique, but no one thinks of that when they take a taxi, and few think of how little the Porsche 911 design has changed across generations, so small refreshes is all they need. From Musk's lips, Tesla may not be interested in having a rugged version of the Model Y, but then he also mentioned potentially having ten different models--Model X/Y, Y/3, Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster; maybe a subcompact hatch, and cheaper roadster would be nine. Overall, they don't care to steal all the sales. Musk has said that one company only controls like 10% of the market, so they seem to be more interested in setting an example and having competitors follow suit, which is what is happening, but it is happening slowly based on the rate they are moving. Besides their processes being far different, their investment cash flow might allow them to invest aggressively, and maybe others can't in the same way. Maybe Tesla has no concern about being eclipsed by competitors, and as they said, they see unlimited demand with EVs--not a niche market.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:28 PM   #425
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

@Irace86.2.0 by separate company, I really meant independent from the vehicle division, and able to grow on its own. Maybe it already is and I just don't realize it. All the companies you mention are really multiple companies inside of a bigger holding company. I just had the feeling the two were tightly coupled and they don't need to be.

I have the luxury of not having price as a primary driver for me as a consumer. A model 3 could cost $500 and I still wouldn't own one. Same with the CyberTruck. In fact, I'd rather drive a Bolt EUV than anything Tesla has, including the upcoming supercar.

I take Musk at his word that he doesn't believe he can own the car market, but just wants to change it. He's already done that. Credit where it's deserved.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 03-02-2023 at 02:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #426
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
@Irace86.2.0 by separate company, I really meant independent from the vehicle division, and able to grow on its own. Maybe it already is and I just don't realize it. All the companies you mention are really multiple companies inside of a bigger holding company. I just had the feeling the two were tightly coupled and they don't need to be.

I have the luxury of not having price is not a primary driver for me as a consumer. A model 3 could cost $500 and I still wouldn't own one. Same with the CyberTruck. In fact, I'd rather drive a Bolt EUV than anything Tesla has, including the upcoming supercar.

I take Musk at his word that he doesn't believe he can own the car market, but just wants to change it. He's already done that. Credit where it's deserved.
For them, the vertical integration of components, operating/software systems, car logistics to route Tesla vehicles to open charging locations, etc means it makes more sense to build the chargers alongside other components like their home batteries and grid batteries with software and hardware that works seamlessly together in their ecosystem. Tesla Motors changed to just Tesla because they are an energy and technology company that happens to make cars. In fact, Musk described the cars as robots on wheels, referring to the robots they are making and autonomous AI they are developing for the car that is used in their robots.

I don’t care for the aesthetics, but I can overlook that for the better experience for a family car or personal commuter. I don’t need that at this time and want a small sports car, so that precludes Tesla. Maybe a Model Y for the wife someday.
Dadhawk (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 02:44 PM   #427
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Tesla's 2023 Investor Day livestream included a disclaimer that essentially says you shouldn't believe anything shared in Tesla's Investor Day livestream.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #428
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

I saw this, but it looks like pretty standard language for "forward facing comments".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-02-2023), strat61caster (03-09-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 05:42 PM   #429
Irace86.2.0

Essentially, "We don't have a crystal ball, so everything could change, especially based on extraneous factors."
Dadhawk (03-02-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 08:26 PM   #430
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I saw this, but it looks like pretty standard language for "forward facing comments".
It’s more specific then any I’ve seen before and it’s the first time I’ve seen employee recruiting and retention called out as a specific problem even though I just left a company with approximately a 50% attrition rate lol.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 11:33 AM   #431
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
It’s more specific then any I’ve seen before and it’s the first time I’ve seen employee recruiting and retention called out as a specific problem even though I just left a company with approximately a 50% attrition rate lol.
im not gonna watch it, which part of the workforce are they having high turnover with? manufacturing?
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:00 PM   #432
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
im not gonna watch it, which part of the workforce are they having high turnover with? manufacturing?
I'm not going to watch it either
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 05:29 PM   #433
Irace86.2.0

Sandy gets excited after Tesla's investment day. Could Tesla make a $25k car?

Old 03-17-2023, 05:38 PM   #434
Irace86.2.0

Tesla Confirms The Switch To 48 Volt System

https://insideevs.com/news/656775/te...oltage-system/

This was announced at the Tesla Investor Day. Here is more info on the benefits of 48v. Audi is using 48v in their mild-hybrid cars.

https://www.dalroad.com/resources/48...its-important/

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers