follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2022, 07:11 AM   #1
bushuangaa

Drives: brz s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question helmholtz chamber vs popping tune?

Hi fellows, i was looking into this video about welding a j pipe/helmholtz chamber to counter my exhause drones-

the thing with my brz is it's on flashtablet's stage 2 plus with a backfire/popping custom tune.
it's great fun with the poppings of cos.
I'm wondering if adding a j pipe will affect the popping since the exhaust gas will have more pipes to go through and explode in the closed end of j pipe possibly or not?
wonder if anyone tried this 2 mods together??
bushuangaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #2
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
There should be no issue with doing this. The J-Pipe is what we have done for drone and if you calculation on size and length are correct, it works very well. No exhaust actually travels through the J-Pipe tube because it's capped. So, it should have little-to-no effect on your pops.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:43 AM   #3
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushuangaa View Post
Hi fellows, i was looking into this video about welding a j pipe/helmholtz chamber to counter my exhause drones-

the thing with my brz is it's on flashtablet's stage 2 plus with a backfire/popping custom tune.
it's great fun with the poppings of cos.
I'm wondering if adding a j pipe will affect the popping since the exhaust gas will have more pipes to go through and explode in the closed end of j pipe possibly or not?
wonder if anyone tried this 2 mods together??

Before other comments come in about your P/B tune, all I'm going to say is that if you're trying to reduce drone, you should probably try to upgrade our exhaust hangers for JDM ones, switch to OEM front pipe, or upgrade to a double resonated one.

What is your complete exhaust setup?
Old 09-21-2022, 10:18 AM   #4
bushuangaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
There should be no issue with doing this. The J-Pipe is what we have done for drone and if you calculation on size and length are correct, it works very well. No exhaust actually travels through the J-Pipe tube because it's capped. So, it should have little-to-no effect on your pops.
thanks for the reply!
following that youtube video my calculation for the length of j pipe to be 47 inches, i doubt if i have that much space underneath the car haha
Old 09-21-2022, 10:24 AM   #5
bushuangaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Before other comments come in about your P/B tune, all I'm going to say is that if you're trying to reduce drone, you should probably try to upgrade our exhaust hangers for JDM ones, switch to OEM front pipe, or upgrade to a double resonated one.

What is your complete exhaust setup?
i am on psr uel header and perrin 2.5 resonated exhaust.
front pipe is stock.
exhaust hanger upgraded to oem sti ones, it does help to tone down the drone, i will say about 30 percent, still has substantial drone from 2k to 2.6k rpm.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #6
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
front pipe is stock.
exhaust hanger upgraded to oem sti ones, it does help to tone down the drone, i will say about 30 percent, still has substantial drone from 2k to 2.6k rpm.

Alright, seems like you should have everything to tone down some noise. The JDM ones are a popular choice which I also have too. Haven't really much info on STi ones but before doing any weld work, a cheaper route would be getting the JDM ones. May be some on Ebay because ordering from Nengun or equivalent takes about a month.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #7
bushuangaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Alright, seems like you should have everything to tone down some noise. The JDM ones are a popular choice which I also have too. Haven't really much info on STi ones but before doing any weld work, a cheaper route would be getting the JDM ones. May be some on Ebay because ordering from Nengun or equivalent takes about a month.
they are jdm. part number 44066AJ010
Old 09-21-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
thanks for the reply!
following that youtube video my calculation for the length of j pipe to be 47 inches, i doubt if i have that much space underneath the car haha
No problem!

There are other calculators out there. You can trade diameter for length if need be.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
front pipe is stock.

May want to try sound deadening the trunk area, and under the rear seats.

You really have a setup that shouldn't really drone that much, possibly may be quieter with a nvidia q300 or a hks legamax or something with a bigger suitcase style muffler.

My nameless with a catless uel never droned so the perrin must be louder than others with mufflers
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #10
bushuangaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
No problem!

There are other calculators out there. You can trade diameter for length if need be.
really where did u find those calculation? i only see people saying get the j pipe same diameter as the connecting exhaust pipe works the best
Old 09-22-2022, 09:21 AM   #11
bushuangaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
May want to try sound deadening the trunk area, and under the rear seats.

You really have a setup that shouldn't really drone that much, possibly may be quieter with a nvidia q300 or a hks legamax or something with a bigger suitcase style muffler.

My nameless with a catless uel never droned so the perrin must be louder than others with mufflers
for the same exhaust, people seems to have all sorts of experience. i searched and see lots of posts about perrin having drones at our platform despite more users comment them as 'zero drone'.
every car is made slightly different i guess.
looking at the bright side, at least i am hearing less of the random rattles in my brz haha
Old 09-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #12
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
really where did u find those calculation? i only see people saying get the j pipe same diameter as the connecting exhaust pipe works the best
It doesn't need to be the same size. It can be smaller, or a tube with a dead end can on it.

Here's one from a quick google search...

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physi...oltz-resonator
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (09-23-2022)