follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #29
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
you can spend 30. It depends on how far down the rabbit hole you're willing to go. I laugh at guys that want to spend 5K to boost an 86
Hehe, I spent maybe $1500 to go FI

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:17 AM   #30
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Hehe, I spent maybe $1500 to go FI

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The OP asked for reliability. I don't see how any setup for $1500 is going to be reliable in the long term, especially for somebody like OP who likely can't fabricate their own piping, oiling, and/or intercooler setup.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #31
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
The OP asked for reliability. I don't see how any setup for $1500 is going to be reliable in the long term, especially for somebody like OP who likely can't fabricate their own piping, oiling, and/or intercooler setup.

Why not? In fairness, I got really lucky on pricing for my used Vortech kit, I'm definitely not at the self fabrication level - so that might have been a little misleading. My response wasn't to OP, it was a response to the comment "I laugh at guys that want to spend 5K to boost an 86". A few points:

1) I 100% agree with your prior comment about centrifugal superchargers, they stress the motors less simply due to the fact they don't produce big torque. Rods are the weak point, and they are most at risk under high torque conditions at low RPM. Centrifugal units just don't do that

2) FI is always more risk, more complexity/failure points, more stress on the motor, and more opportunity to exceed certain reliability thresholds (internal failure, oil/water temps, clutch limits, etc.) You always have to have that in mind and accept it - if you want factory reliability and more power, buy a faster car. With 15k in an 86 FI kit you still won't have that level of reliability.

3) Intended use - there's a BIG difference between a mild street setup vs. a hobbyist track setup vs. an all out max power/max durability competition setup. My setup: Vortech with 3.125 pulley on 93 octane, dual catch cans, P&L EL headers, and a great tune from Mike at Moto East. All good condition, used gear. No track days, 100% street driven (so far), some spirited runs occasionally, and I don't abuse the car. Oil temps never exceed 110C, and I don't have an oil cooler - I also live in the northeast, which helps.

4) Installation/Setup - I installed myself, and took extra time to make sure fitment was right, vacuum lines tied off, etc. I did my research. I used Xero Limit for the tune, Mike is one of the best out there. Installation is super important. Tuner is super important.

I've had the kit on for a year now. I just drove it to my parents and back in VA, about 1000 miles round trip, and I cut through the Shenandoah mountains for some really fun driving. Car was flawless.

Did I take a set of tools and an extra belt just in case? You bet.

Is it the fastest FI 86 on the road? Far from it.

Is it faster than my old header+tune+BPB setup? Waaay faster.

Would I do a DE/Track event without an oil cooler? Nope.

No matter what you do, an aftermarket FI will bring some risk and you need to be prepared. But my car is *not* a ticking time bomb. Uh maybe I just jinxed myself
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-10-2020), Hades (10-10-2020)

Tags
boost, build, newbie, power, reliability