follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #1
LostSalad

Drives: Toyota 86 - Charcoal Grey
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Automatic Door Lock?

EDIT: Yes I did search before posting, hear me out.

Long story short - I very nearly got hijacked on the way home last night. For as long as I've been driving, I haven't locked the doors. Call me stupid, or don't, but needless to say I'll be doing it from now on.

So a colleague is driving a really old Mazda Sting, that happens to be fancy enough to automatically lock the doors when driving, and unlocking them when the key is taken out of the ignition. Why do we not have this feature

I did a search and it seems that "yes it's not fitted" and "you can only do it on the automatic".

However, I drive the manual, and my thinking is:
  • The seatbelt warning alarm only triggers at a certain speed
  • The doors can lock and unlock from a signal, because central locking

Do you think it will be possible to mod this???? Is it a common mod that people do on other cars??
LostSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Some car alarms add an auto lock feature. I know on the easy go kit it adds autolock when you put your foot on the brake after starting the car. Otherwise, almost anything can by done with relays, see here: http://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp#al
Chaetagnath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
starbot

Drives: Beep Beep
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Old thread posted awhile back that was a OBDII module that could auto-lock/unlock doors: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52783

One of the items posted in that thread was this: http://www.kiramek.com/english/produ...org/TSL20.html

I haven't tried it myself but this might work for you.
starbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i have a manual, and my car automatically locks the car when i turn on the engine and then it unlocks after i pull out the key. sometimes i turn off the engine but leave the key in and my gf always tries to open the door first and it wont. lol.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
JamesssSmith

Drives: '15 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a manual that locks when you put the clutch in, then unlocks when you turn the engine off
Old 03-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
Danklvr

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Argento
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Danklvr
my manual 14 frs does not auto lock, nor are there any options to enable this in Techstream for the 14 and pre models. Cant speak to the 15's though..

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?
Danklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
How hard is it to make it a habit to lock the doors when you enter the car? I live in the Philippines and it is well known for traffic robberies in some areas, like the OP's country. Locking your car doors are a habit here. Street kids open the rear doors if you have a four door and take whatever they can from the back seat. I know it sucks that our car does not have the auto lock feature, but we only have two doors, and the lock switch falls right on your left hand when you close the door after you enter. Just keep practicing it until it becomes a habit.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
LostSalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesssSmith View Post
I have a manual that locks when you put the clutch in, then unlocks when you turn the engine off
Does this have the push to start feature? Because you need to clutch to start the car - this means that the doors will lock pretty much immediately. I sometimes start the car as people are getting in (it's no issue, because you're forced to hold the clutch, and if you drop the clutch while starting it kills the engine immediately).

This is reassuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT86 View Post
i have a manual, and my car automatically locks the car when i turn on the engine and then it unlocks after i pull out the key. sometimes i turn off the engine but leave the key in and my gf always tries to open the door first and it wont. lol.
This is also reassuring. Some cars unlock for the inside the first time you try the handle. I wonder if it's possible to mod that in too :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye300 View Post
How hard is it to make it a habit to lock the doors when you enter the car? I live in the Philippines and it is well known for traffic robberies in some areas, likea the OP's country.
Probably not hard, which is why I say I'll start doing it from now on. I know it's stupid and lazy of me but it just literally never crossed my mind. Also because I mostly drive highways where it's less of an issue. I got a huge scare though... I'll just think about it every time I get annoyed when the doors are still locked

@starbot @Chaetagnath, thank you both for the links. I'll trawl through that and see if I can get something working for me. Who knows, maybe the mechanics at the dealership can even wire it with the right info.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
JamesssSmith

Drives: '15 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSalad View Post
Does this have the push to start feature? Because you need to clutch to start the car - this means that the doors will lock pretty much immediately. I sometimes start the car as people are getting in (it's no issue, because you're forced to hold the clutch, and if you drop the clutch while starting it kills the engine immediately).
Yeah it is push to start, if you put the clutch in then take it out before starting the engine it will unlock as well
LostSalad (03-15-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
KalbiCool88

Drives: 2005 SLK350, 2015 RS 1.0 FRS
No, the 2015 models do not have auto/lock ...
KalbiCool88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Have to ask, how did you almost get car jacked?

I always keep my handgun on me down in the door cup holder. If someone tried to carjack me the first thing they are getting is shot.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #12
LostSalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Have to ask, how did you almost get car jacked?

I always keep my handgun on me down in the door cup holder. If someone tried to carjack me the first thing they are getting is shot.
There's a large roundabout on my way back from work with multiple traffic lights and lots of directions to come from. Because our municipality is broke, the lights don't work and it's ****ing dark. Whenever I catch the light and it's not green I slow down wayyy before the intersection and slowly head towards it in 1st gear to leave a gap. I also check my blind spots for people approaching.

So this time, I'm checking my blind spots as usual and slowly heading forward waiting for the light to change. Check left, check right, check left, check right, check left - OH FUCK there's a guy right next to my car looking into the window reaching for the door handle!

Was scared, I won't lie. Really really scared. I put foot but revs were too low, car didn't jump as I expected. But he took it as a signal that I'm not an easy target and casually walked back to wait for the next person to come past.

So yes, stupid me for not locking my doors. But if I wasn't alert, I would've had a nice romantic night drive with a stranger. I was shocked that he managed to get right next to me even though I was checking all over. Like a freaking snake along the ground or something.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc"]South African Car Flamethrower - YouTube[/ame]

Right from your neck of the woods, seems like a good investment
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
LostSalad (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #14
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
@toast LMAO so fitting given your username!!!!!
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
LostSalad (03-19-2015)