follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

View Poll Results: How would you rate the design of the 2nd gen? 1 lowest & 5 highest
1 19 7.20%
2 25 9.47%
3 62 23.48%
4 104 39.39%
5 54 20.45%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #477
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
Is it really that bad? It seems to be they preserved all the important aspects of the gen 1. It only gained a little weight (and considering all the new safety gear required for 2021, that's impressive). It stayed NA and gained a little power and torque, as well as more more torsional rigidity. Seems to be it's just a better version of the original... with one possible exception - styling. I think the new styling both inside and out may polarise folks, at least for a while, but I suspect we'll all get used to it.

Maybe, but what exactly did they add just for marketing? Other than the standard Subaru safety features (and all new cars are going to get lumped with the latest safety gizmos required in 2021+), I can't really see much 'marketing driven' crap that has been added. It still looks like a pretty bare bones vehicle (which I think we agree is a good thing).

For sure, we each need to decide what is right for us. The gen 2 won't be to everyone's tastes and won't suit everyone's needs.
I was talking strictly styling. The mechanics and the (hardly mentioned here) upgraded chassis are wonderful.
The styling looks like it was handed over to a 16 year old with the instructions to design a car.

The marketing input was "MORE BOY RACER IT NEEDS MORE THERE IS UNTAPPED YOUTUBER MONEY TO BE MADE"

What is all this new safety gear? The eyesight system probably adds a pound. The rest will be pretty much the same as before.
Dadhawk (11-19-2020), Dzmitry (11-19-2020), Red-86 (11-19-2020), soundman98 (11-20-2020), Spuds (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 09:40 PM   #478
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I was talking strictly styling...
The styling looks like it was handed over to a 16 year old with the instructions to design a car.

The marketing input was "MORE BOY RACER IT NEEDS MORE THERE IS UNTAPPED YOUTUBER MONEY TO BE MADE"
Yeah, styling is subjective and the update won't be to all tastes.

I'm still not sure what I think and I suspect I will need to see one in person to form a final opinion. I kinda like some angles, but not others. I'm hoping the GR86 rectifies some of my misgivings, particularly around the nose area.

Quote:
What is all this new safety gear? The eyesight system probably adds a pound. The rest will be pretty much the same as before.
That's fair. I assumed they may have taken the opportunity whilst increasing rigidity etc to increase things like side impact intrusion, but that's a guess.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), Tcoat (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #479
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
It’s fine, but my 16 is paid off, not enough here to pony up when its a DD, with some spirited runs on the weekend.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), Tcoat (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #480
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah, styling is subjective and the update won't be to all tastes.

I'm still not sure what I think and I suspect I will need to see one in person to form a final opinion. I kinda like some angles, but not others. I'm hoping the GR86 rectifies some of my misgivings, particularly around the nose area.

That's fair. I assumed they may have taken the opportunity whilst increasing rigidity etc to increase things like side impact intrusion, but that's a guess.
Yes, I have probably said "subjective" more times in the last two days than the rest of my life combined.
My original thoughts were I would give it until seen in person before making a final opinion but the more shots that show up the more I just can't stand the looks of the thing. Each individual part isn't bad on it's own but the way it all comes together just looks like they stood back and threw parts at it and what stuck was what they went with.
In the model building world we have a thing called "kit bashing" where you take parts from different model kits and put them together to make something unique. This looks exactly like the results of such a process and unfortunately unique does not always mean good.
There will be many that like it but there are also many that like widebody kits, massive camber, huge useless wings, etc, etc on the current gen so ...

I am not for one second asking others to think the same way but this is my thoughts on it and I am sticking to them.
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), daiheadjai (11-20-2020), joro2 (11-20-2020), Willpower (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #481
Red-86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
it still has that odd 215/40/18 size. I would have liked to have seen a tad more sidewall/width with 225/40/18 for the new engine but oh well. I know the less grip, the easier it is to slide.
It's an interesting decision to stick with 215s. I suspect it is partially to keep it relatively 'easy to drift' for the auto reviewers (it will keep Chris Harris happy for example) and partially to improve fuel economy. Wider tyres (especially in a stickier compound) are better for grip but they also increase rolling resistance which increases fuel consumption. It's not a huge amount but it counts, and at least some of the brief with the twins has been to be reasonably economical for a sports car. Mind you, to counter my own theory, putting stickier tyres on even in 215 width will increase rolling resistance anyway. Ah, who knows!
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (11-23-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #482
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Well Subaru is becoming more consistent in the style of their performance line with the front fender vent. It might not seem so with Toyota, however.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-20-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 09:57 PM   #483
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
I was talking strictly styling. The mechanics and the (hardly mentioned here) upgraded chassis are wonderful.

Subjective, but I find this new one to be cleaner and maybe a bit *less* aggro or boy-racerish. I hate most things, but I like this:

Honestly it took me a *long* time to warm up to the existing car. Originally preferred the FR-S front but wanted leather/alcantara, so didn't buy one for YEARS. Something about the '17 refresh worked for me I guess. I love the look now. But glad to see that they've kept all of what made the original great, and given it a more ballsy powerplant while keeping all of the revs. Can't wait to drive it...

Anyway, a lot of the things that make the 1st gen "special" I found to be quite gimmicky at first. Particularly the "bumps" over the wheels. The fenders and hoodlines are WAY to high to need those, I greatly preferred the original show car's much lower front end. I think they look great now, particularly on a lowered car, but I'm glad to see the new design language.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #484
Willpower
The Power of Will

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 02 S2000, 21 Mojave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I really do not like the exterior styling, particularly the front and side aspects, but I thought I’d seen all that was bad to me after looking at all the pics about a hundred times. Well, my son, who I must say has great taste in all things automotive IMO, says to me today, oh no the side intakes on the front look like a ballsack. Now I can’t unsee that either.
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #485
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Subjective, but I find this new one to be cleaner and maybe a bit *less* aggro or boy-racerish. I hate most things, but I like this:

Honestly it took me a *long* time to warm up to the existing car. Originally preferred the FR-S front but wanted leather/alcantara, so didn't buy one for YEARS. Something about the '17 refresh worked for me I guess. I love the look now. But glad to see that they've kept all of what made the original great, and given it a more ballsy powerplant while keeping all of the revs. Can't wait to drive it...

Anyway, a lot of the things that make the 1st gen "special" I found to be quite gimmicky at first. Particularly the "bumps" over the wheels. The fenders and hoodlines are WAY to high to need those, I greatly preferred the original show car's much lower front end. I think they look great now, particularly on a lowered car, but I'm glad to see the new design language.
See those bumps over the wheels and flowing, almost classic sportscars lines are what attracted me to the first gen. The BRZ bumper was always a bit more muscular and industrial than the FRS and 86 but it at least followed the the same flow.
There is zero continuity of flow on these new ones.

Lookin at the picture you attached sort of firmed things up for me. I think that they went too far Subaru. Everybody keeps saying it looks like every sportscar with even the same basic shape but what they have really done is totally use all of the standard Subie design cues. It is a wonder there is not scoop on the hood!
The problem (in my eyes) is that those design cues that look great on a boxy 4 door sport sedan or hatch just simply do not work on a rounded and curvaceous sports car. They need height and more squared angles to fit in.

See this looks beautiful in my eyes and really all it is is a bigger squarer, beefer version of the of the new BRZ. The design cues are blatant.

Dadhawk (11-20-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:26 PM   #486
Red-86

Garage
Quote:
I am not for one second asking others to think the same way but this is my thoughts on it and I am sticking to them.
No worries, I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind! Just having a discussion on this here discussion forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:31 PM   #487
Tcoat

Quote:
No worries, I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind! Just having a discussion on this here discussion forum.
Oh I just don't want to be called a "nihilistic old man" again because I don't bow to the Subaru god's and kiss their feet for blessing us with this wonderful, flawless, car.
soundman98 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:32 PM   #488
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
just echoing a lot of what has already been stated. im really looking forward to seeing one in person. thats the best way to judge the styling. i also think once people start seeing them everywhere they will start to warm up to the design.

i remember thinking the Zupra looked like shit in pics. however after seeing a few at the stealerships and at meets i came around and thought it looked alright. a hell of a lot better than it did in photo.
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
davesrave (11-21-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:32 PM   #489
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
See those bumps over the wheels and flowing, almost classic sportscars lines are what attracted me to the first gen.
Proportions are identical and as for "classic sportscar lines", they're a bit cab-forward for that, but nice for a sporty 2+2!

Quote:
There is zero continuity of flow on these new ones.
Couldn't disagree more, very coherent design, flows well for me. And again I hate most things...

Quote:
See this looks beautiful in my eyes and really all it is is a bigger squarer, beefer version of the of the new BRZ. The design cues are blatant.
Not seeing that *at all*. Completely unrelated. Smooth flowing forms vs. boxy industrialism.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:04 PM   #490
etherdude

Drives: 2020 Hakone Edition, 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I like it. I think the Toyota version will look even better without the "smile" in the grill.
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etherdude For This Useful Post:
gymratter (11-19-2020)