follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #169
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So in my first weekend with a good road-trip on these coil overs I snapped a CV joint horsing around a tad, unfortunately two hours away from home. I'm thinking the driveline angles are touch too far to handle my torque, is there any foreseeable issues with raising all four corners 10mm?

spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:21 PM   #170
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitsnaugle View Post
So in my first weekend with a good road-trip on these coil overs I snapped a CV joint horsing around a tad, unfortunately two hours away from home. I'm thinking the driveline angles are touch too far to handle my torque, is there any foreseeable issues with raising all four corners 10mm?

That's perfectly fine.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #171
CounterSpace Garage

Updates for anybody inquiring on their orders. April 2019 batch has been fulfilled and currently being shipped out in batches per day. Tracking information should be in your inbox. If not, please contact us via PM or e-mail with your order # and we'll take care of your inquiry. Thank you for your patience!
Old 04-09-2019, 03:09 AM   #172
Ryan GT86

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If I wanted to say switch from street settings for daily driving to track settings for an autoX session or track day how hard would that be? I'm new to coilovers so this will be my first set of coilovers to install.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #173
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan GT86 View Post
If I wanted to say switch from street settings for daily driving to track settings for an autoX session or track day how hard would that be? I'm new to coilovers so this will be my first set of coilovers to install.
There are adjusters on top of the coilovers. Simply click to the desired setting for your driving application. It takes all off 10-15 seconds per each corner at most, even if you take your time.
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 04:25 AM   #174
banane63

Drives: BRZ Club blanc perle
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Or buy EDFC, it will last just the time to think about it !

Envoyé de mon Armor_X en utilisant Tapatalk
banane63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #175
Reamer

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
What you are purchasing is a refined valving setup. Ohlins has changed their damper system many times over the years, but have decreased their spring rates to reduce weight transfer characteristics. We're not exactly sure what their aim is, but based on the product being sold now, it is designed more towards comfort.

-Don't the current Ohlins spring rates match the CSG FLA's almost identically?
-Since the CSG FLA's are refined, do they actually perform better on track (compared to Ohlins)? I know that one is a lot more subjective to track surface and driving style, but looking at general performance/what y'all have experienced in the past.
-If the CSG FLA's do actually perform better on track (again, compared to Ohlins), how much (if any) sacrifice is made in street comfort to achieve that?

I really want the CSG FLA's to be everything they sound like from what I've read from CSG themselves and the people in this thread praising them; I'm just gun-shy at pulling the trigger on another set of cheap coilovers when I just purchased others around this price point in January that have turned out to be absolute garbage. Having said that, I don't want to spend 2x the money (especially with the residual soreness of the last purchase) on a set of coilovers that won't suit my needs any better than the cheaper option. Also to be fair, I only had the feedback from people on a different platform (S2K) for the current set of cheap coilovers I'm on, and the people reviewing them in these forms are almost non-existent.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #176
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
-Don't the current Ohlins spring rates match the CSG FLA's almost identically?
-Since the CSG FLA's are refined, do they actually perform better on track (compared to Ohlins)? I know that one is a lot more subjective to track surface and driving style, but looking at general performance/what y'all have experienced in the past.
-If the CSG FLA's do actually perform better on track (again, compared to Ohlins), how much (if any) sacrifice is made in street comfort to achieve that?

I really want the CSG FLA's to be everything they sound like from what I've read from CSG themselves and the people in this thread praising them; I'm just gun-shy at pulling the trigger on another set of cheap coilovers when I just purchased others around this price point in January that have turned out to be absolute garbage. Having said that, I don't want to spend 2x the money (especially with the residual soreness of the last purchase) on a set of coilovers that won't suit my needs any better than the cheaper option. Also to be fair, I only had the feedback from people on a different platform (S2K) for the current set of cheap coilovers I'm on, and the people reviewing them in these forms are almost non-existent.
The first post on this thread empirically shows how they ride.

Here's an in-car video that will let you judge how they perform on track.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCNMSzyTols[/ame]

The click settings for street and track are different. If you use a track setting on the street, you should expect (and will have) a firmer ride. Likewise, if you run the street setting on track, you can expect load transfer to be less controlled. The adjustments allow you have the best of both worlds, just by turning some knobs.

Or, you can even EDFC and just push buttons. Or go even further and have EDFC Active Pro, and get the best of both worlds permanently.

-Mike
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Reamer (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #177
Reamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The first post on this thread empirically shows how they ride.

Here's an in-car video that will let you judge how they perform on track.

The click settings for street and track are different. If you use a track setting on the street, you should expect (and will have) a firmer ride. Likewise, if you run the street setting on track, you can expect load transfer to be less controlled. The adjustments allow you have the best of both worlds, just by turning some knobs.

Or, you can even EDFC and just push buttons. Or go even further and have EDFC Active Pro, and get the best of both worlds permanently.

-Mike

Thanks for the video, Mike, I think your in-car angle shows the effectiveness of the suspension better since we can see bumps and weight shifting more accurately in how your body reacts to those motions in relation to the car. The way GoPro's or any other "action cameras" these days stabilize the image that can be deceiving.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsyebKevv80[/ame]

I know my questions are a bit redundant when the evidence is already presented in front of me (I read the thread before blindly posting), but as individuals with a budget I'm sure you can sympathize with having reservations on replacing a brand new set of coilovers and wanting to minimize the risk of making the same mistake twice.

I'd still appreciate your opinion on these vs the Ohlins though. I know you said they seem to be targeting a more comfort ride but it was mentioned that this was, at least partly, due to them reducing the spring rates. Based off of CSG's website, the Ohlins basically have the identical spring rate to the CSG FLA (343lbs/in vs 6kg/mm, respectively). So are the Ohlins valved 'softer' and even on their stiffest setting, not able to achieve the same rebound that the CSG FLA's have on track? I'm admittedly fairly ignorant here so if my understanding is fundamentally flawed, please correct me.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #178
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
The ohlins aren't really made for any performance driving, except by the most casual enthusiast. Every update they've made takes the R&T/DFV further away from performance and more toward comfort.

At their highest damping setting, you just get a harsh ride without proper load transfer control, giving the perception of firm, but not good characteristics.

You may be better off asking in the track subforum or 86cup group, folks who've had Ohlins before, and have moved on to other dampers, to get third party opinions.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Reamer (04-18-2019), timurrrr (07-04-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #179
Reamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The ohlins aren't really made for any performance driving, except by the most casual enthusiast. Every update they've made takes the R&T/DFV further away from performance and more toward comfort.

At their highest damping setting, you just get a harsh ride without proper load transfer control, giving the perception of firm, but not good characteristics.

You may be better off asking in the track subforum or 86cup group, folks who've had Ohlins before, and have moved on to other dampers, to get third party opinions.
Thanks for the more detailed explanation.

Now I just need to ensure that I get a set of the CSG FLA's in the next shipment...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #180
CounterSpace Garage

So much for forecasting a nice stack of inventory. June 2019 inventory sold out. Next batch rough ETA end of July 2019. Thank you for the support. Glad to see people breaking PBs and smashing 86 track records around the world after making the change to our CSG Spec systems.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #181
ayoshioka1

Drives: 2019 BRZ / E36 325is
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
On average, what is the typical lifespan of the flex coilovers. I really have no experience with tein coilovers, let alone a twin tube set as i have most driven on a monotube damper for quite sometime on my E36. Can the shock be rebuilt here and re-valved here in the US or will there be some downtime in damper replacement when rebuilding?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #182
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshioka1 View Post
On average, what is the typical lifespan of the flex coilovers. I really have no experience with tein coilovers, let alone a twin tube set as i have most driven on a monotube damper for quite sometime on my E36. Can the shock be rebuilt here and re-valved here in the US or will there be some downtime in damper replacement when rebuilding?
Lifespan - dependent on user and unit measurement. The CSG FLA has been available for about ~1.5 years right now, however, we've been testing/developing CSG Spec suspension systems for the past 7 for the BRZ/FR-S/86 application. Out of all the CSG Spec suspension products sold, only 4 have been through the servicing department thus far (all CSG SRC with around 3-4 years and a few dozen track days on top of that). 1 was due to a near totaled car with significant damage to the internals. It was serviced and now running again quite competitively for the past 2 years.

Servicing - TEIN USA is where CSG SRC and CSG FLA are serviced at. For CSG Spec valving or CSG Spec servicing, please contact us to work out the logistics.

Last edited by CounterSpace Garage; 05-22-2019 at 01:59 AM.