follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #15
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Agreed, we are getting about 195-200 whp on 93 octane Ecutek coupled with Grimmspeed intake and tomei EL header and open exhaust behind that.
@philooo for the cage through the dash we removed the original dash bar and took the dash brackets and steering shaft assembly off and re-welded to the new dash bar in the oem locations. Dash is now in place better than from the factory.

-mike
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
omran (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Icanfaptothis86
tickle fight referee

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
Agreed, we are getting about 195-200 whp on 93 octane Ecutek coupled with Grimmspeed intake and tomei EL header and open exhaust behind that.
@philooo for the cage through the dash we removed the original dash bar and took the dash brackets and steering shaft assembly off and re-welded to the new dash bar in the oem locations. Dash is now in place better than from the factory.

-mike
is grimmspeed the best intake for power gains ?

The FAclub 20 looked like the best design overall just eyeballing all the options

Electrical space wizard
Icanfaptothis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #17
AZP Installs

Honestly after trying a bunch of different intakes really they are all within 1-2 hp of each other on a NA car. We liked the grimspeed construction and contingency for racing.

One thing to consider is how will the intake work with your oil cooler lines. If you are racing you will want either the Perrin/Setrab oil cooler or the Jackson racing cooler. We run the Perrin/Setrab ones on about 10+ track cars and no leaks or issues with them.

Another item to consider if legal is rear ring and pinion gearing change. Will help with acceleration out of turns big time.

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-18-2015), omran (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #18
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
a good quality, aftermarket EL header (not UEL) is a must for extended track use on these cars IMO .. there are instances where people crack the OEM header with stock tune which would be expected to survive in all conditions.. I personally was able to crack two OEM headers (one with cats one without), I have to mention though the added heat and EGTS due to Forced induction should also be a contributor but here in Pacific Northwest the highest ambient temps we see is around ~90-95 F
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-18-2015), omran (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #19
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
@philooo for the cage through the dash we removed the original dash bar and took the dash brackets and steering shaft assembly off and re-welded to the new dash bar in the oem locations.
wait what...

can you post some pictures of that in your build thread ? I am VERY curious to see what you did on that topic !
Old 08-18-2015, 03:28 AM   #20
omran

Drives: GT86 TMG CS-V3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I would 100% go to EcuTek (or ideally a full standalone) for a dedicated race car. I would also go with good EL headers over UEL, power gains will be better. Have a look at the ACE 4-2-1 (made 199whp on California 91 octane).

I would stick with the stock intake with a good drop in filter, definitely research intakes before buying. Lots won't make any power over stock, and some will hurt power in more places than they help.

Whatever you do, you're going to want someone knowledgeable to help with the tune. It needs to be tuned for the gas you're going to run, in the conditions you're going to be running, and done with a good safety margin since it's a race car. What works for high dyno numbers in a cool climate with good 94 octane is going to be quite different than what you need.

I would also suggest a proper diffuser and splitter. The "diffuser" on your list is purely cosmetic and will function no differently than the stock plastic. A well designed splitter and diffuser will lower drag AND increase downforce.
thanks for the info.. ok then seems like the EcuTek wins! will go for it.

regarding the diffuser,, i know that the APR rear diffuser cover is is purely cosmetic, but i thought that the Password JDM Dry Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser is not? its made to be a proper rear diffuser but not sure ,...

i have ordered also the FT-86 SF - Street Performance Front Splitter with its upgrade, but when i received it, i saw it very very heavy. I'm not sure if this would help though. i read good reviews here about it but I'm still reluctant to fit it.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 AM   #21
omran

Quote:
Very nice! In for details although the pricing IIRC is much closer to $70-90K which makes it about 3x the price of a Spec86 Cup car with similar or lower performance.

Definitely will be following you guys for sure. Maybe we can get you to start a branch of Spec86 Cup in Qatar!

-mike
thanks

i hope you will start one to help us out,, we are missing the expertise here,, so it will be great! will be happy to coordinate also if needed ,, you are most welcome!
Old 08-18-2015, 03:33 AM   #22
omran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icanfaptothis86 View Post
Can you provide pics of the rear diffusers ? and am I reading this correctly there are two rear diffusers on this?
ok i have ordered two diffusers, all from FT86 speed factory (great services!)

1. PASSWORD JDM DRY CARBON FIBER REAR DIFFUSER
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/pass...l#.VdLdbXhBAyE

2. APR CARBON FIBER REAR DIFFUSER (a cover)
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/apr-...l#.VdLdDHhBAyE
Old 08-18-2015, 03:37 AM   #23
omran

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
I am very excited to see a forum member getting a TMG car...
plenty of reverse engineering for us to do !

I am curious mainly about:
- Cutoff switch wiring
- how to they attach the interior fuse box and power steering considering the roll cage is going through the stock location.
- exact routing of the fire suppression system
- driver metal 'floor mat' exact size and attachment method to the floor
- pedals look different I wonder if they are just t86 euro or something more fancy
- trunk latch mechanism, I've never seen that one before
- hood pin mechanism details
- brake duct path (if there is any).
- ... more details photo overall
wow big list! definetly TMG did a great job by doing this car. all these would be for sure the knowhow of TMG and I'm sure they will help you out with exact details if needed. they are very helpful and will be glad to share their contact details if needed. send me a private message if you need their details and will share it with you.

will send more photos with each stage of modification. if you need a certain photo for a specific part, let me know.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:46 AM   #24
omran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
a good quality, aftermarket EL header (not UEL) is a must for extended track use on these cars IMO .. there are instances where people crack the OEM header with stock tune which would be expected to survive in all conditions.. I personally was able to crack two OEM headers (one with cats one without), I have to mention though the added heat and EGTS due to Forced induction should also be a contributor but here in Pacific Northwest the highest ambient temps we see is around ~90-95 F
i have bought the UEL headers unfortunately as i need the mid range power (i hope I'm not mistaken!)

for this, i got complete Tomei UEL Header, Tomei Overpipe, Tomei Ti Test Pipe & Tomei Ti Type-60R exhaust to make it a full brand set. is this good enough?
Old 08-18-2015, 03:52 AM   #25
omran

Quote:
Honestly after trying a bunch of different intakes really they are all within 1-2 hp of each other on a NA car. We liked the grimspeed construction and contingency for racing.

One thing to consider is how will the intake work with your oil cooler lines. If you are racing you will want either the Perrin/Setrab oil cooler or the Jackson racing cooler. We run the Perrin/Setrab ones on about 10+ track cars and no leaks or issues with them.

Another item to consider if legal is rear ring and pinion gearing change. Will help with acceleration out of turns big time.

Mike
hi mike,,
i got Skunk2 Powerbox Intake System which got high rating here. not sure if this would help or not, but I'm still reluctant to throw it in without tune.

regarding the wing, i got the APR GT-250 Carbon Fiber Wing 67in which we just fit. will share photos of it here...

for the gear changing, TMG has changed the LSD to Torsen LSD 4.1 Ratio which has affected the gear changing a lot,,, do you think it is enough?

omran
Old 08-18-2015, 04:58 AM   #26
omran

some pics of the APR GT-250 Carbon Fiber Wing (67in) & the APR Carbon Fiber Formula 3 Mirrors before & after installation.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #27
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omran View Post
hi mike,,
i got Skunk2 Powerbox Intake System which got high rating here. not sure if this would help or not, but I'm still reluctant to throw it in without tune.

regarding the wing, i got the APR GT-250 Carbon Fiber Wing 67in which we just fit. will share photos of it here...

for the gear changing, TMG has changed the LSD to Torsen LSD 4.1 Ratio which has affected the gear changing a lot,,, do you think it is enough?

omran
That intake should be fine but I wouldn't put in the intake and headers until you have a tune. Reach out to me directly and I will be happy to help out in terms of getting you an ECUTek and tune approriate for your setup. We've done a lot of testing and tweaking of our tune for Spec86 which has an identical setup hardware-wise to what you are going to be running.

4.1 is good, see how it runs you can always move to a 4.56 later on if need be.

My e-mail address is sales@azpinstalls.com just put attention Paisan on it.

-mike
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
omran (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #28
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by omran View Post
some pics of the APR GT-250 Carbon Fiber Wing (67in) & the APR Carbon Fiber Formula 3 Mirrors before & after installation.
I have an APR GT-250 67 Incher as well. I would set the AoA to zero on it until you have some front aero to balance out the front to rear aero. Also I would go with a minimum of a 3" exhaust, that Tomei 60 means it is only 60mm or 2.3". I like that it is light, but I would want a bigger pipe diameter.