follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
FR-Slide

Drives: 13 Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lots of painters tape and a little creativity

I've never bothered to post pics of stuff, since most of what I do is tame, but I wanted to share some work that I've done over the past month and get feedback on it, as well as what to do next. So, apologies if the pics are huge or something.

Picked up the FR-S last April, and have been trying to keep it stock, or at least OEM+ looking.

Swapped all badges and removed any signs of Scion. Also converted to AUDM black interior to get rid of the silver plastic trim.

The folks at @JPM Coachworks were awesome, and custom made an armrest, dash panel and boots for me in black/red Alcantara, with 86 logos (to match the Flossy knob):

I'm torn on which taillights to get, between Tom's and Spyders, so while I debate, I decided to red mine out. This was my first attempt at tinting, so I went too light on the top, and the silver/chrome trim made it look pink but nothing a little vinyl can't fix. I actually like it better, after.

I ended up getting kind of addicted to tinting mods, so I tackled the reverse bar next. (And yes, those are scratches from some Prius hitting me in a parking lot )

I have the same issue with my headlights as the tails: can't decide which to get (Winjet or try for OEM). So, rip em out and paint:

I used the DIY from @DarrenDriven and it was super helpful, as this was my first baking experience. I opted to NOT black the entire housing out, but instead leave a little chrome.

On the car:

Used the leftover lens tint to hit the front markers. Since I have LED all around (HUGE thanks to @KI_ZN6 for the amazing setup and customer support!), I have no issues with brightness through the tint.

LED DRL is a bit dim. Kinda wish I had left that reflector chrome, but oh well:

And, as she sits now:

I know it's nothing groundbreaking, but just wanted to share some pics. I'm proud of it so far, but surely not done yet. Next plans are probably a header and tune, but in terms of aesthetics I want to address the rear valence/diffuser, as well as the vents (very interested to see what @mokinbird87 comes up with!). Wheels and a drop are probably needed, but trying to do little things first...plus I'm crazy indecisive with wheels and lights.

Thanks for any feedback.
FR-Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-Slide For This Useful Post:
DarrenDriven (03-02-2014), JPM Coachworks (03-04-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
tbrocato

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Keep up the hard work bro...car looks great. I am about to switch out all lights to LED's...if I don't go HID for main's are there any bulbs out there I can get that will match up close color wise? That is my main concern right now.
tbrocato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
FR-Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrocato View Post
Keep up the hard work bro...car looks great. I am about to switch out all lights to LED's...if I don't go HID for main's are there any bulbs out there I can get that will match up close color wise? That is my main concern right now.
Thanks man.

LED is pretty close to 6000k (on average), so there's no halogen that I know of in that range. You MIGHT be able to get some 4300k LEDs, which could be passable with a bulb like Silverstars, but I've not tried personally.

TBH, I got all my LEDs (LED DRLs, side markers, reverse, trunk, interior, rear turn signals, and front switchbacks + flasher) AND HID kit from @KI_ZN6 for a really affordable price, if you're worried about cost. I got 6000k all around (even though the HID in my pic shows semi-blue...camera phone FTL), and it's all just a matching pure white.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-Slide For This Useful Post:
KI_ZN6 (03-01-2014), tbrocato (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
tbrocato

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Slide View Post
Thanks man.

LED is pretty close to 6000k (on average), so there's no halogen that I know of in that range. You MIGHT be able to get some 4300k LEDs, which could be passable with a bulb like Silverstars, but I've not tried personally.

TBH, I got all my LEDs (LED DRLs, side markers, reverse, trunk, interior, rear turn signals, and front switchbacks + flasher) AND HID kit from @KI_ZN6 for a really affordable price, if you're worried about cost. I got 6000k all around (even though the HID in my pic shows semi-blue...camera phone FTL), and it's all just a matching pure white.

Thanks for the info bro! Looks like I might need to talk to @KI_ZN6!
tbrocato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
Calavera

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
I just tackle the air bag emblem this weekend. I have the spot on the air bag as smooth as a baby's bottom. I'm just not happy with the emblem I got from eBay since it's plastic. Is yours metal? If so, where did you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
FR-Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
I just tackle the air bag emblem this weekend. I have the spot on the air bag as smooth as a baby's bottom. I'm just not happy with the emblem I got from eBay since it's plastic. Is yours metal? If so, where did you get it?

I have a plastic emblem from ebay as well. Just polished it and then mounted. I didn't mount on the bag, though. I actually used a piece of leather with similar grain to the wheel (from a swatch sent by JPM when I was testing interior options). I used a dremel and sandpaper to smooth out the remainder of the scion logo, then with some adhesive/epoxy carefully attached the leather to the emblem, then the 2 of those to the wheel. EZPZ, and blends right in thanks to the leather

You can probably source the leather from a crafts or upholstery shop. I can try to get closeups if you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Slide For This Useful Post:
Calavera (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
KI_ZN6

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Talking

Thanks and glad to hear you are happy with all of the products you ordered from us
KI_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
racecat

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Very nice and clean! I especially like how your headlights turned out with keeping some chrome. Looks sharp.
racecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #9
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
the paint on that right tail light looks reeeeeaaaallllyyyy thin
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
Calavera

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Same here, dremel and and sandpaper. Took an old leather iphone case and looks good. On my way to the depot for some epoxy.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
Where did you guys get the emblem for the steering wheel? is there a DIY here? some links? thanks doods.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
FR-Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
the paint on that right tail light looks reeeeeaaaallllyyyy thin
Yeah, it looks like it in that picture. The sun is on the right side of the car, which is probably why. They're pretty even in person, but they'll definitely be replaced with something eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionGundam View Post
Where did you guys get the emblem for the steering wheel? is there a DIY here? some links? thanks doods.
I didn't use any DIY, but there are a few out there:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34522
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44720

I used the same source that @BuBlake used in his thread.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
JPM Coachworks

Drives: Honda S2000, Subaru STI
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to JPM Coachworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Slide View Post
The folks at @JPM Coachworks were awesome, and custom made an armrest, dash panel and boots for me in black/red Alcantara, with 86 logos (to match the Flossy knob):

@FR-Slide Looks great! Glad to see some pictures of those custom products installed.

V/R
Andrew
-JPMCoachworks.com
JPM Coachworks is offline   Reply With Quote